The new Garrison recruitment is pretty awful. Need a *NO* Option ASAP, suggestion or bug, not sure so it goes here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Hear me out on this: I don't want anymore imperial recruit eating my food, so I go set the payment to slightly above what it currently costs. Then as I leave town I immediately have -2 on my garrison stat, implying I will be losing 2 garrison troops because of the payment setting. I have to go set it up even higher to like 200+ over what it cost to not have it say -2, and then of course it keep recruiting stupid imperial recruits to eat my food! I don't know if this is just a UI bug or if I would really lose troops or why it says it cost 26 gold to recruit when all they can get is a imperial recruit.... I just don't get it.

@mexxico @emrozdemir Could we please get a NO option to the garrison recruiting? It's very overly convoluted to just "not fill garrison with useless recruits who waste food".
There might be situations where I want to turn it on but in general I want my garrisons just right so there's less risk of food shortage but security is 100, which means using t3 troops mostly to conserve food and wage while meeting security+.

The "food issues" of 1.5.10 make this even more sensitive when getting a town early in the game, you really can't have any goofy stuff with a bunch of recruits showing up and tanking your food balance.

I feel like at least some part of this is either a bug or just not described correctly to the player. But I think a NO option would be a big help.

I thought the method to prevent auto recruitment was to limit wages. Have you tried that?
That function is broken and it's not what we need.

First, when you reduce the wages to some amount that is still slightly above the current wages your garrison starts deserting despite paying their wages. Second, how the f*** am I supposed to know what wage translates to a certain food consumption.

By default, garrison recruitment should be tied to the available food and then, if there is enough food, have a customizable wage limiter.

Edit: And the straight up no checkbox is another QoL improvement among the other things.

I thought the method to prevent auto recruitment was to limit wages. Have you tried that?
Hear me out on this: I don't want anymore imperial recruit eating my food, so I go set the payment to slightly above what it currently costs. Then as I leave town I immediately have -2 on my garrison stat, implying I will be losing 2 garrison troops because of the payment setting.

Well so far it just look like they add tier 1 troops to the garrison at least for me. Until the cap is reached and no more get added. So if I load my garrison's with the units of my own choice which is mostly tier 1-3 ranged units as they such a good force multiplier when added to your own for siege defenses when join the defenders.

That function is broken and it's not what we need.

First, when you reduce the wages to some amount that is still slightly above the current wages your garrison starts deserting despite paying their wages. Second, how the f*** am I supposed to know what wage translates to a certain food consumption.

By default, garrison recruitment should be tied to the available food and then, if there is enough food, have a customizable wage limiter.

Edit: And the straight up no checkbox is another QoL improvement among the other things.
Having an additional checkbox is ok for me but I do not think it can be accepted like other rejected checkbox ideas.

I did not understand why setting wage slider to current limit is not working. If there is a bug there fixing it can solve problem maybe.

Also when a desertion happens if it is 100% lowest tier (at least for garrisons) then no problem remains again. We can make it maybe. I can suggest.

About not knowing which wage amount correspond to which consumption you already do not know town’s food amount in market. It is related to caravans going in and out to town and items sold. These datas varies all the time so exact adjustments already do not work in Bannerlord. You can leave 200 men to garrison at day x there can be no starvation but at day x+10 starvation can start because town can sell 25% of its food to several caravans. This can be again solved by additional checkboxes (like do not sell food to caravans) but these kind of micromanagements are not welcomed.

Last edited:
Having an additional checkbox is ok for me but I do not think it can be accepted like other rejected checkbox ideas.

I did not understand why setting wage slider to current limit is not working. If there is a bug there fixing it can solve problem maybe.

Also when a desertion happens if it is 100% lowest tier (at least for garrisons) then no problem remains again. We can make it maybe. I can suggest.

About not knowing which wage amount correspond to which consumption you already do not know town’s food amount in market. It is related to caravans going in and out to town and items sold. These datas varies all the time so exact adjustments already do not work in Bannerlord. You can leave 200 men to garrison at day x there can be no starvation but at day x+10 starvation can start because town can sell 25% of its food to several caravans. This can be again solved by additional checkboxes (like do not sell food to caravans) but these kind of micromanagements are not welcomed.

Here is an idea. Could we perhaps as a player be able to load like a food storage, granary, (whatever), with food items that the settlement could consume from if market fail to supply? We can already put items into our "stash". From fighting a lot of battles alone I end up with grain running out of my nose and more sheep, hogs and cows that would fill several barns.

Here is an idea. Could we perhaps as a player be able to load like a food storage, granary, (whatever), with food items that the settlement could consume from if market fail to supply? We can already put items into our "stash". From fighting a lot of battles alone I end up with grain running out of my nose and more sheep, hogs and cows that would fill several barns.
Yes this can be a passive solution. If this is implemented player will need to supply his town 100s of food in each 10-20-30 days if that town has daily -10 / -20 food change. This can be a boring loop for player however it will be a new way for player to protect his starving town. I will suggest this even this is not a fun play style. We will also think other possible solutions to this known starving town problem. Maybe food prices can be increased more in these towns so caravans can carry more food to these. There is no perfect solution to this problem.

Last edited:
Yes this can be a passive solution. If this is implemented player will need to supply his town 100s of food in each 10-20-30 days if that town has daily -10 / -20 food change. This can be a boring loop for player however it will be a new way for player to protect his starving town. I will suggest this even this is not a fun play style. We will also think other possible solutions to this known starving town problem. Maybe food prices can be increased more in these towns so caravans can carry more food to these. There is no perfect solution to this problem.

I know the game isn't based on real world, But back in those days. All settlements basically had granaries to hold them over in rough times. I rather stroll by my settlements and dump in food in a storage, than nickle and dime 100's of units of grain all over the place to get anything worthwhile back. In my case it wouldn't make much of a difference anyways as I keep dump excess food and other items), into my stash all the time.

Why not add a food consumption slider, like the wage slider. Instead of introducing a new boring game loop you set the garrison food consumption to X amount, with that you can also have some food production reserve when prosperity rises.

The general ability to add your own food to a starving town is, in my opinion, a feature that should have been implemented a year ago, but not the solution to starving settlements due to excessive recruitment.

On another note, I'd really prefer if the automatic recruitment would recruit the best troops first. And if you really want to make the automatic troop recruitment a good feature then you should allow more customization options, like recruit the worst units first or best units first, food consumption sliders, wage sliders, prosperity sliders or checkboxes to allow/not allow further increase of prosperity (yes, my settlements simply have an out of control growth and villages/castles/town upgrades simple do not provide enough food for the garrison + prosperity food consumption) and so on. All of this may sound like a lot of micromanagement, but it's far less than having to run to your settlement every ten days because you need to restock food, and it is simple an option not a necessity to manage it on that level.

Last edited:
Why not add a food consumption slider, like the wage slider. Instead of introducing a new boring game loop you set the garrison food consumption to X amount, with that you can also have some food production reserve when prosperity rises.

The general ability to add your own food to a starving town is, in my opinion, a feature that should have been implemented a year ago, but not the solution to starving settlements due to excessive recruitment.

On another note, I'd really prefer if the automatic recruitment would recruit the best troops first. And if you really want to make the automatic troop recruitment a good feature then you should allow more customization options, like recruit the worst units first or best units first, food consumption sliders, wage sliders, prosperity sliders or checkboxes to allow/not allow further increase of prosperity (yes, my settlements simply have an out of control growth and villages/castles/town upgrades simple do not provide enough food for the garrison + prosperity food consumption) and so on. All of this may sound like a lot of micromanagement, but it's far less than having to run to your settlement every ten days because you need to restock food, and it is simple an option not a necessity to manage it on that level.
Well, if you can visit your settlement, dump in enough food for the next 3-4 months in one go, it shouldn't be a big issue right? If they make it a chore out of it so you can only put in for so, so many days at a time. Then you get issues...

Well, if you can visit your settlement, dump in enough food for the next 3-4 months in one go, it shouldn't be a big issue right? If they make it a chore out of it so you can only put in for so, so many days at a time. Then you get issues...
I see issues with this when I look at my current campaign stage. Half of the empire I build belongs to me and the other half to my vassal clans. That's 7 towns also around ~7 castles that I have. Spanning from Epicrotea to Amprela, and my current party size is close to 400, so around 390~. Now tell me how long it takes and how much food it takes when I have to wage war at the southern edge of the map in Aserai and then have to run back to Epicrotea and then forth to Amprela, stopping at every city and castle I have and then spend even more time going back to war where I left off. Now please try to give me a number of in game days and a rough estimation of food that I need to sustain my own party and all of my fiefs... I hope you see that dumping a bunch of food every few months is simply not viable, or fun.

Orchards need to produce food at dynamic rate instead of static. You can't have a negative modifier like Prosperity that keeps going up while the primary positive contributor is static.

And granaries are also static so at higher prosperity, it runs out of food faster.

Orchards need to produce food at dynamic rate instead of static. You can't have a negative modifier like Prosperity that keeps going up while the primary positive contributor is static.

And granaries are also static so at higher prosperity, it runs out of food faster.
It makes sense that there is no endless growth, but the food production is way too low in my opinion, or prosperity consuming too much food, it always goes both ways.

I can really only think of two ways if the goal is to increase the food production, instead of reducing food consumption. Then I can only suggest either add more hearth levels, instead of having +5, +10, +15 for a village increase it to 5 - 10 stages, each providing more food than the previous. Or make Orchards and the castle equivalent, not only produce their own static amount of food, but also providing a multiplier of the food provided by villages, like x1, x2, and x3 for example.

Edit: I think granaries are fine and do their job, providing food during emergencies for a week or so. Buffing them would also mean nerfing sieges by extending the time you have to siege a settlement before you can reduce the garrison through starvation. And something that we don't need right now is making sieges even more tedious.

Last edited:
It makes sense that there is no endless growth, but the food production is way too low in my opinion, or prosperity consuming too much food, it always goes both ways.

I can really only think of two ways if the goal is to increase the food production, instead of reducing food consumption. Then I can only suggest either add more hearth levels, instead of having +5, +10, +15 for a village increase it to 5 - 10 stages, each providing more food than the previous. Or make Orchards and the castle equivalent, not only produce their own static amount of food, but also providing a multiplier of the food provided by villages, like x1, x2, and x3 for example.

Edit: I think granaries are fine and do their job, providing food during emergencies for a week or so. Buffing them would also mean nerfing sieges by extending the time you have to siege a settlement before you can reduce the garrison through starvation. And something that we don't need right now is making sieges even more tedious.

There won't be endless growth because of war.

Dynamic problems require dynamic solutions.

Edit:

Yes we do. Sieges need to take more time not less. It's ridiculous how quickly cities fall.

There won't be endless growth because of war.

Dynamic problems require dynamic solutions.

Edit:

Yes we do. Sieges need to take more time not less. It's ridiculous how quickly cities fall.
Not in my campaign where half of my territory hasn't been touched in years simply because they are too far away from the front lines. And no we don't need even longer sieges, they already take long enough.

Not in my campaign where half of my territory hasn't been touched in years simply because they are too far away from the front lines. And no we don't need even longer sieges, they already take long enough.
Well if you look at real world sieges. There was some that took years. Even with the time progression in Bannerlord, its way to fast.

Back
Top Bottom