The new ambitious mod that adds Crusader Kings elements to the Bannerlord: Banner Kings

Users who are viewing this thread

epil

Recruit
I can't believe this is happening. This mod is what I wanted from Bannerlord all along since I've heard it's announcement in 2012! I didn't see any threads about this huuuge mod on forum so I want to share it with you guys because I think a lot of people here would like to know about this. This mod is released couple days ago and all features mentioned below is supposedly implemented already (though some people say they're experiencing crashes in nexus comments at the moment):

***(copy paste from this link: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3826?tab=description )
Features

Banner Kings is heavily inspired by Crusader Kings as well as other Paradox games. The mod's purpose is to add layers of gameplay and depth to non-combat gameplay, most around settlement management. For deatils on features, look in the Articles section (WIP). In short:

A whole new depth to settlement management.
  • Fully fleshed out populations system, with 4 different social classes, each fulfilling a different function;
  • A plethora of new settlement stats, such as Stability and Manpower, that will be affected and affect your settlement in different ways;
  • New policies and decisions allow for much more precise control of your settlement;
  • Completely overhaul calculations of native settlement stats (Loyalty, Prosperity, etc.). Your settlement no longer revolves around your prosperity and positive food output - it's more complicated.

This is roughly how settlement stats work.

Travelling Parties.
New civillian parties populate the map. Currently they are (more will come):

• Slave caravans. Soldiers that transport slaves from towns to villages;
  • Travelling serfs. Groups of serfs migrating between towns. They carry simple goods and food, and have minimal defense;
  • Travelling craftsmen. Groups of craftsmen, less numerous than serfs. Carry industrial goods as well as crafting materials (ingots). They are the only party to carry these materials in the game. Average defense level;
  • Travelling nobles. Rarest group of travellers. Professional defense. Carry luxury goods such as spices and jewelry, yielding good loot if the player chooses to raid them.

Village Projects.
  • Entirely new buildings that can now be constructed in villages, much like vanilla construction;
  • Buildings fulfill different purposes such as slowing down raids, increasing militia or production output;
  • Some buildings are universal (available for any village), others specific to the village type (ie Blacksmith to iron villages).

Recruitment Changes.
  • Castles are now populated with notables, whose recruits can be bought;
  • Noble recruits now spawn for every noble. The change is based on their power. In native, nobles only spawn for a specific notable type, and are guaranteed to spawn;
  • Noble recruits are most common in villages, followed by castles, and rarest in towns.

World Economy Changes.
  • Increased overall production makes the economy more active. More trade, more caravans on the map;
  • Population-based consumption and new stats such as caravan attractiveness will pull caravans to different settlemens more dynamically;
  • Village revenue significantly increased through increased production and carrying capacity of villages;
  • Persistent gold quantities in markets (towns and villages);
  • Notables are actualy payed when recruits are bought (they were not);
  • Tariffs are now embedded into products prices.

Feudal Titles.
Persistent titles that mirror the feudalism system, and work much like titles in Crusader Kings. Titles represent the legal ownership to a demesne (domain),often associated to a piece of land (settlement);

• Titles follow a hierarchy: Lordship (village) -> Barony (Castle) -> County (Town) -> Dukedom (Collection of counties) -> Kingdom (Collection of dukedoms);
  • Every title has a De Jure (legal) owner and a De Facto (actual) owner. In many cases, these are the same person. However, they may be different. Once you conquer a settlement, you become the De Facto owner of that title. However, you do not legally possess it, as it was taken by force, rather than inheritance or other legal means, and that will have implications;
  • Titles imply a suzerain/vassal relationship. Previously, all lords were the same 'level' in a faction, other than the king. Now, they are lords and vassals of each other. Your highest title dictates this relationship. If your highest title is legally the vassal of other title (say, a dukedom, which is necessarily the vassal of a kingdom), it means you are a duke, and therefore vassal of the De Jure king. Counts under your dukedom will be your vassals, and you, their suzerain;
  • Every title follows a contract. The contract estipulates the legal Government type, Succession type, Inheritance type and Gender Law associated with the title.

Succession Laws.
Different factions will now have different types of transition of power.These are the existing succession laws:

• Hereditary Monarchy. The leadership of the kingdom remains with the dominant clan. The faction leader will be the leading clan's leader, as per the clan's Inheritance law. No elections. Factions: Vlandia, Aserai;
  • Elective Monarchy. Clan leaders will vote on the next monarch (vanilla). Factions: Battania, Khuzait, Sturgia;
  • Imperial. A new emperor is appointed by the previous one. Emperors are chosen based on several criteria, including their age, their clan's fame and their personal skills of management and leadership. No elections. Factions: Southern Empire, Western Empire;
  • Republican. A new faction leader is elected from all the available clans. Republic have yearly elections. The new leader may not be the same as the previous leader (no consecutive terms). Leaders are chosen based on several factors, including their age and clan's fame.

Inheritance Laws.
Inheritance dictates how the leadership of clans is assigned when the leader passes away. These are the existing inheritance laws:

• Primogeniture. The eldest blood family member is chosen to inherit the clan.
  • Ultimogeniture. The youngest (adult) blood family member is chosen to inherit the clan.
  • Seniority. The eldest clan member is chosen to inherit the clan, regardless of blood ties (such as companions).

Court & Council.
  • Each lord has now a council, which is composed by court members. The court is composed by notables of your settlements, your direct vassals (see Feudal Titles) and family;
  • The council is currently made of 4 positions: Chancellor, Steward, Marshall and Spymaster. Each filled position brings passive bonuses to your settlements;
  • The effect of passive bonuses is based on the council member's competence, calculated from his/her personals skills based on the requirements for the job;
  • Council members are payed a share of your revenue.

Knighthood.
  • Companions now require significant investment before they can act like nobles, they have to be 'knighted'. Knighting a companion requires gold (5000 for the player), 150 influence, requires being in a kingdom and at least tier 2 clan. It also requires the legal (De Jure) ownership of any title higher than Lordship level, as well as a Lordship tittle to be given to the knight;
  • A knighted companion is able to raise a retinue (soldiers). The knight will pay his own expenses through the lordship gifted to him/her;
  • Essentialy you can no longer find someone in a tavern, give them an army and set them off to die for you. Raising soldiers requires knighthood, and granting knighthood requires a heavy investment.
Settlement Actions.
Several actions can be taken in towns and castles with different purposes (more actions will be added, including villages):

• Serve as guard: can be done so long you are not part of a kingdom / owns settlements. Pays little, trains combat skills, might hurt you over time;
  • Train guards: Requires at least 50 leadership and 160 points in combat skills (combined). Trains leadership and combat skills, pays much better;
  • Go hunting: Hunt game in the woods. Requires Hunting Rights policy to be enacted, or being the settlement owner. Gives fur and meat;
  • Meet nobility: Meet high society of the settlement. Adds influence, trains charm. Requires nobility (being part of a kingdom).
AI
  • Lords will recruit knights, with similar requirements (pay gold, 150 influence, give lordship). This means you will see several more heroes with soldiers on the map;
  • Lords will use new management options to optimize settlement stats (WIP).

Future Features

• Fully fledged religions system. Different mechanics for each religion. Sacrifices. Religious institutions members (priests, shamans, etc). Win favor of religious institution & interact with actions / ask favors.
  • Large scale invasions on the continent. New cultures & lords spawn with large armies to take over the existing factions. Mass migrations after conquest quickly assimilate settlements into their own culture.
  • Free adventurer companies on the map (like the player's), which can be interacted with / rented.
  • Guilds: Institutions that affect the settlement depending on their type. Can be interacted with / gain influence with. Request favors.
  • Full usage of mod's features by the AI.

If I wanted to play CK then I would play CK .. the fact I'm playing BL and not CK might give you a clue.

Great this mod is being made and not part of the base game, players can pick and choose how they want their BL.

This + diplomacy + RBM and i'll finally have the perfect bannerlord experience, can't wait for the author to make them compatible.

If I wanted to play CK then I would play CK .. the fact I'm playing BL and not CK might give you a clue.

Great this mod is being made and not part of the base game, players can pick and choose how they want their BL.

It's not about copying CK but about adding meaningful and well-thought features inspired by it that hugely enhances the game in every way possible.

TW themselves seems to be allergic to any feature more complex than a 5y old can comprehend lol

Last edited:
@epil Thank you for sharing, it is truly a project that should be followed up. It looks very interesting, but it seems to have some compatibility problems and bugs.

This + diplomacy + RBM and i'll finally have the perfect bannerlord experience, can't wait for the author to make them compatible.
It's not about copying CK but about adding meaningful and well-thought features inspired by it that hugely enhances the game in every way possible.
TW themselves seems to be allergic to any feature more complex than a 5y old can comprehend lol
Although gameplay is very different, logic behind these two games is almost identical. To raise your rank through medieval inspired society and eventually rule. So it is only logical to expect some of CK features to be in BL to some extent if not literally.
☝️This!

This sounds absolutely great! Thanks for sharing!

Shame that TW seems unwilling or incompetent to implement stuff like that. This is what I expected to be the vanilla BL experience.

Damn it sounds good. Some weird design decisions here and there, like making the noble recruits more easy to find in villages than in castles, but anyway very promising.

40353c9c8a7dca56dff73c8c8157dbb6.gif

Exciting news. Here's hoping the occurrence of travelling parties responds to in-game events, and aren't totally random.

Back
Top Bottom