The Nerfs on Armors

Users who are viewing this thread

i'm going to recommand this mod called drastic battle mod
it is amazing at making armor more useful with tons of customizing features such as:
different weapon type (cut pierce blunt) interacting with different armor type (cloth, leather, chain, plate) as well as damage done to different body parts
etc
it's an amazing mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2188?tab=description

I'll check the mod out. Realistic Battle Mod is also frequently recommended and it is a good mod too.

I might try Drastic on my next playthrough.

The big consideration right now is that we should have a base game that has a pretty good armor and damage system that works without a mod. Right now it seems like armor is well, too weak.

Last edited:
Just did some Code digging with dnspy. The Class in the SystemCampaign.dll is the CombatStatCalculator class. There you find answers to your ArmorEffectiveness.
If you change the Multiplier float number "0.33f" to 100f for Pierce dmg or the "0.5f" to 100f for Cut dmg for example, all Armors arround the board will be more effective. Tested it with 100f in both and my 2h axe does only 21dmg to Sea Raiders lol :smile:

Code:
public static float ComputeRawDamageNew(DamageTypes damageType, float magnitude, float armorEffectiveness, float absorbedDamageRatio)
        {
            float num = 0f;
            float bluntDamageFactorByDamageType = CombatStatCalculator.GetBluntDamageFactorByDamageType(damageType);
            float num2 = magnitude * bluntDamageFactorByDamageType;
            float num3 = 100f / (100f + armorEffectiveness);
            num += num2 * num3;
            if (damageType != DamageTypes.Blunt)
            {
                float num4;
                if (damageType != DamageTypes.Cut)
                {
                    if (damageType != DamageTypes.Pierce)
                    {
                        return 0f;
                    }
                    num4 = Math.Max(0f, magnitude * num3 - armorEffectiveness * 0.33f);
                }
                else
                {
                    num4 = Math.Max(0f, magnitude * num3 - armorEffectiveness * 0.5f);
                }
                num += num4 * (1f - bluntDamageFactorByDamageType);
            }
            return num * absorbedDamageRatio;
        }

Just did some Code digging with dnspy. The Class in the SystemCampaign.dll is the CombatStatCalculator class. There you find answers to your ArmorEffectiveness.
If you change the Multiplier float number "0.33f" to 100f for Pierce dmg or the "0.5f" to 100f for Cut dmg for example, all Armors arround the board will be more effective. Tested it with 100f in both and my 2h axe does only 21dmg to Sea Raiders lol :smile:

Code:
public static float ComputeRawDamageNew(DamageTypes damageType, float magnitude, float armorEffectiveness, float absorbedDamageRatio)
        {
            float num = 0f;
            float bluntDamageFactorByDamageType = CombatStatCalculator.GetBluntDamageFactorByDamageType(damageType);
            float num2 = magnitude * bluntDamageFactorByDamageType;
            float num3 = 100f / (100f + armorEffectiveness);
            num += num2 * num3;
            if (damageType != DamageTypes.Blunt)
            {
                float num4;
                if (damageType != DamageTypes.Cut)
                {
                    if (damageType != DamageTypes.Pierce)
                    {
                        return 0f;
                    }
                    num4 = Math.Max(0f, magnitude * num3 - armorEffectiveness * 0.33f);
                }
                else
                {
                    num4 = Math.Max(0f, magnitude * num3 - armorEffectiveness * 0.5f);
                }
                num += num4 * (1f - bluntDamageFactorByDamageType);
            }
            return num * absorbedDamageRatio;
        }

Interesting.

giphy.gif

No doubt this topic needs a thorough revision (and even more so after the obvious feedback from the players; I don't know if this has been more of an experiment by Taleworlds (it's okay to experiment, but if the changes aren't satisfactory you have to have the ability and quick response time to address some palliative)); a comprehensive revision of both those parameters regarding the armor and its level of protection as well as the weapons and the level of damage they cause in their different uses.

Obviously, aiming for these parameters to work the same way for MP is a juggling exercise; therefore entirely different parameters should be thought of for both modes.

I admit I'm pretty dumbfounded by how needlessly contrived all the damage calculations are, and to end up with a very unsatisfying result in any case.
It feels like they constantly tried to tweak the formula without stopping and wondering "aren't we overthinking this ?".

Obviously, aiming for these parameters to work the same way for MP is a juggling exercise; therefore entirely different parameters should be thought of for both modes.

I get the feeling that Taleworld's stubborn, rigid refusal to abandon the MP class system is what caused this entire chain of dominos to fall.

We'll never really know for sure, but I'd bet all the issues we've been seeing with armor since launch have a root cause in the multiplayer classes and Taleworlds trying to translate those same rules and parameters over to singleplayer.

You're right, SP and MP need to become mutually exclusive, and operate almost like two separate games (unlike Warband, where SP and MP were mostly seamless and relatable) or the MP class system just needs to abolished and re-worked from scratch. Either way much work ahead. :xf-frown:

I thought maybe they reduced some of the empire armor to try an nerf some of the units like Palatine Guard? I hadn't looked very closely myself into 1.5.4 except reviewing the perk code and testing perks. I have to be on 1.5.3 for Mod tools, so I only played a few hours on the beta.

No doubt this topic needs a thorough revision (and even more so after the obvious feedback from the players; I don't know if this has been more of an experiment by Taleworlds (it's okay to experiment, but if the changes aren't satisfactory you have to have the ability and quick response time to address some palliative)); a comprehensive revision of both those parameters regarding the armor and its level of protection as well as the weapons and the level of damage they cause in their different uses.

I think at this point, there is widespread consensus that this armor system is not working very well and that armor needs to be far more effective.

Interesting.

giphy.gif

Forgive my ignorance but couldn't TW make armor changes for SP but not MP or vice versa?

Honestly with the way couched lances jump up and down I stopped doing that a long time ago.
I don't even know what the point of couching is. If your moving fast enough to couch, then the speed bonus on a regular stab is more than enough to one-shot anything you hit and its a lot safer to boot. When it comes to killing someone, 150 damage is just as good as 500

I don't even know what the point of couching is. If your moving fast enough to couch, then the speed bonus on a regular stab is more than enough to one-shot anything you hit and its a lot safer to boot. When it comes to killing someone, 150 damage is just as good as 500
Agreed, in WB it was often necessary to couch to take out the t5 infantry. But in BL you can take down anyone with a spear and enough speed. Idk why TW has decided to increase damage values so much in BL. I felt like damage values were good in WB with the exception of bows which were a bit underpowered.

Back
Top Bottom