The mystery of denars! Copper or silver?

What do you think denars are made of!

• Copper

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 82 65.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Amagic

Baron
I've been riding in Calradia since 0.751 now. It's come a long way, but there is something bothering me! Denars!!! Are they made of silver or copper? Why are they called denars? Why do we want them sooooo much?? Ones say denars are copper, other say it's silver. Denars might start a war between copper vs silver fans!

Post your questions and answers about stuff like that

I always thought it was based off the denarii. (denarius)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonian_denar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denarius

The denarius was made from silver, so I'll go with that  :mrgreen:

Denar/dinar/denarii are common terms for coins throughout the European/Arab world.

Like the Roman Denar, a silver coin - denarius means "containing ten" in Latin.
Denarii is just the plural version of Denar.
or:
Dinar, an Arab coin (used in Algeria, Iraq, Libya, Tunisia etc.)

All in all a good bet would be that the Denar is a silver coin.

It is silver! When i clicked on the option i'll pay u to forest bandits, they said "Silver without blood, that's our favourite kind. Pay us 1060 denars and we'll let you be on your way."
So it must be silver..

And there are more proofs for the silveriness of denars: if you drag random lord around for long enough, you will get a message: "<faction> offers you a sum of <number> in silver for <lord>" So, they are pretty like silver. Or, they can come in variations (copper, silver and gold denar, each worth different values - 1 gold denar would equal to 50 copper, but this is just food for thought, as it won't affect game in any way).

Gold denars... Never heard of those. I think denars are made out of WOOD :twisted: Then in that case the forest bandits should be RICH!!!!!!!!!!

Artizan said:
silver was more valuable than gold in middle ages, until the exploration of America.
Which is why all the crown jewels of the various medieval monarchies were made of silver. :grin:

Ringwraith #5 said:
Artizan said:
silver was more valuable than gold in middle ages, until the exploration of America.
Which is why all the crown jewels of the various medieval monarchies were made of silver. :grin:

I want!!!!!!!!!!

Btw how come none of the M&B kings has a throne or crown?

They have a throne, just look at their castle.  I don't know for sure, but I don't think the kings of old actually paraded around with their jewels(to many thief's maybe).  Oh, I also believe its silver.

Artizan said:
Wait, what? Why? If they found so much gold IN AMERICA wouldn't that make gold less valuable?

MountainBlade said:
Artizan said:
Wait, what? Why? If they found so much gold IN AMERICA wouldn't that make gold less valuable?
America had silver too, maybe they found it as well...  But good question!!!

Most of what came out of Spanish America was silver. The Spanish empire was not funded by gold - it was the 'ideal' metal for coinage but there's obviously a lot less of it around than there is silver, or maybe silver is easier to extract from the ore, or something?

my bet would be that BECAUSE there was more gold, it became more espensive. People said "oo shiny" and liked it and so then they wanted it more. And then gold became expensive.

gold doesnt come in ores it comes on its own, "native" - both silver and gold are two of the most unreactive metals, so are nearly always found uncombined, so extraction costs shouldn't affect worth.

Back
Top Bottom