The more you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

havoc

Marquis
the_more_you_know_nbc.gif

Lets say random facts!

Facts from throughout the thread.
Sources can be found in some posts and not all facts will be correct, but if we pretend they are, then they will become true.

#1 It took about 5000 years of eating/drinking cow solids/liquids for Europeans to actually be able to fully digest it properly (apparently). Talk about dedication. That's a lot of liquid ****.
#2 The Enlightenment was partly credited to the popular new beverage known as coffee, prior to this, people drank more alcohol than water.
#3 Supposedly, 66% of women masturbate less frequently than once per month. That's a crude statistic, but I personally find it baffling.
#4 Apparently, 1 in every 200-ish people are related to Genghis Khan.
#5 It is believed that cats domesticated themselves.
#6 Every 'fact' in this thread has been spurious and unsourced!
#7 That's your opinion
#8 An airport near Gloucester once played loud Tina Turner songs to scare birds off the runway.
#9 Although the English today name themselves after the Angles, or essentially simplify "Anglo-Saxon" to its prefix, every other language native to the British Isles spoken today uses Saxon as the catchall term for those southern Britons.
#10 Tyrannosaurus Rex and Stegosaurus existed further apart in the timeline of earth than the Tyrannosaurus and us.
#11 Eggplant contains miniscule amounts of nicotine. 9 Kg of aubergine roughly equals a single cigarette.
#12 Some animals' livers are so rich in vitamin A that you can actually overdose and die. Particularly Arctic animals; if you were to scarf down a polar bear liver it would likely be your last meal.
#13 Potatoes and tomatoes are from the same family as tobacco, namely the Nightshade. Just as the eggplant, they contain small doses of nicotine.
#14 The strongest creatures on Earth are gonorrhoea bacteria. They can pull 100,000 times their own body weight.
#15 The Bristol Stool Chart is an official chart for classifying faeces.
#16 Carrots were usually purple before the 17th century
#17 under Mongol laws known as the Yassa, urinating in water or ashes is punishable by death
#18 Option+ Brand multivitamins contain 15 milligrams of niacinamide.
#19 Eric Clapton and Jack Nicholson grew up believing their grandmothers were their mothers and their mothers were their sisters.
#20 Again according to Yassa (Mongol laws), At the beginning of each year, all the people must present their daughters to the Khan so he may choose some of them for himself and his children.
#21 According to a study, somewhere between 150-200 different species on earth go extinct every day. I don't know how accurate that is.
#22 Bubblewrap was originally intended for use as wallpaper.
#23 There have been reported documents of homosexuality between elephants, it's apparently very common.
#24 Diamonds aren't nearly as rare, or inherently valuable as most people believe. Their inflated worth is largely due to an ad campaign by De Beers which jokingly claimed a man should spend a month's salary on a diamond ring. It was taken far too seriously by the public and the company decided to raise their prices and limit the supply to create an illusion of exclusivity which persists to this day.
#25 Teo's fact is wrong. They're certainly not rare but it takes some precise cutting and polishing to get them to a suitable state for adornment. Their inflated value being attributed to an ad campaign alone doesn't explain the high value of cut-and-polished diamonds in jewellry and elsewhere over the history of gemcutting.
#26 It's a lump of carbon that's indistinguishable from glass.
#27 But it's pretty ****ing shiny.
#28 the Earth turned spherical around the 16th century.
#29 Since at least the time of Pythagoras in 500 BC, no sensible educated person has believed the Earth was flat.
#30 100% of mods and admins would ban 85% of all forum users if it wasn't so much hard work.
#31  The Battle of Hastings happened in a town called Battle.
#32 The moray eel can swim backwards as well as forwards.
#33 Morphophonology is an actual word that I didn't just make up to sound funny.
#34 Speaking of words, the longest word that you'll find in a dictionary is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis , which refers to lung cancer caused by inhaling fine silica dust found near volcanos. It's a word I memorized in an attempt to sound impressive  :oops: Kinda worked.
#35 Don't feed your cats milk. They like it, sure, but in actual fact it will make them poop out their butt in the most nasty of ways.
#36 A zoo in Japan put tiny holes in their otter enclosure so people could shake hands with the otters and feed them fish.
#37 Human Rights were invented in Iran.
#38 Genghis Khan was a momma boy.
#39 The proper pronounciation of Iran is Ee-RON, not I-RAN.
#40 Pakistan means "Land of the Pure" in Urdu and Persian. It is also an acronym for Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, Sindh, and Baluchistan.
#41 The Statue of Liberty was initially meant to be an Egyptian peasant woman, then was sold to USofA instead (with some tweaks) when it turned out Egypt couldn't afford it.

The keeping count thing will end up really high and more of a nuisance.

(#2) The Enlightenment was partly credited to the popular new beverage known as coffee, prior to this, people drank more alcohol than water.

Haha! Another thread that was initially my idea! I knew it. That's three now, I think. No need to thank me, taleworlds, the screams of joy are thanks enough.  :cool:

(#3)
Supposedly, 66% of women masturbate less frequently than once per month. That's a crude statistic, but I personally find it baffling.

Vraelomon said:
Haha! Another thread that was initially my idea! I knew it. That's three now, I think. No need to thank me, taleworlds, the screams of joy are thanks enough.  :cool:

Not entirely true. I was going to create it after I did that post, but forgot. You reminded me is all. :smile:

#5 It is believed that cats domesticated themselves.

#9: Although the English today name themselves after the Angles, or essentially simplify "Anglo-Saxon" to its prefix, every other language native to the British Isles spoken today uses Saxon as the catchall term for those southern Britons.

Irish Gaelic - Sasanaigh
Scottish Gaelic - Sasannaich
Welsh - Saeson
Cornish - Sowsnek
Manx - Sostnagh

#11 Eggplant contains miniscule amounts of nicotine. 9 Kg of aubergine roughly equals a single cigarette.

#12 Some animals' livers are so rich in vitamin A that you can actually overdose and die. Particularly Arctic animals; if you were to scarf down a polar bear liver it would likely be your last meal.

Urgrevling said:
#13 Potatoes and tomatoes are from the same family as tobacco, namely the Nightshade. Just as the eggplant, they contain small doses of nicotine.

#18 Option+ Brand multivitamins contain 15 milligrams of niacinamide.

J said:
#14  The strongest creatures on Earth are gonorrhoea bacteria. They can pull 100,000 times their own body weight. [source]

how many 2 pull ur mum?

'kay, a mother related fact then.

#19  Eric Clapton and Jack Nicholson grew up believing their grandmothers were their mothers and their mothers were their sisters.

#20 Again according to Yassa (Mongol laws), At the beginning of each year, all the people must present their daughters to the Khan so he may choose some of them for himself and his children.

Back
Top Bottom