The Mead Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

I believe that's one of the reasons why I enjoy modern times periods more nowadays.
When yo uread a good novel there, it is written by somebody who took part in the events. Makes it much more accurate and actually teaches something.

BBC series about Uhtred: not sure if want.
Not-Sure-If.jpg

ThegnAnsgar said:
RagnarGerman said:
By the way, I also would suggest fans of the Uthred Saga the Oathsworn books written by Robert Low.

The Oathsworn series is much better than the Uthred Saga.

I'd also recommend:
- Tim Severin's "Viking" series
- Giles Kristian's "Raven" series
- Helen Hollick's "Harold the King"
- G.K. Holloway's "1066: What Fates Impose"
- Jack Ludlow's "Conquest" Series
- Robert Lydon's "Hawk Quest"

I've been reading much more now that I've got a Kindle. I hate it (because it's not a physical book) and love it (because it's so easy to read things any time you want to) at the same time.

If somebody is interested in a story of our period with less power fantasy, violence and rape galore, I recommend Rosemary Sutcliff's The Shield Ring. It's a children's/young adult novel, but very readable. A few years ago, her The Eagle of the Ninth was made into a motion picture (which was a bit 'meh' though). The Shield Ring is set in Cumbria a few years after 1066, it's about a small regional uprising against the Norman oppression. In my opinion it's about multiculturalism, heritage questions, cornered heroism, admiration and friendship/love (of course). It's also written by a woman from the perspective of a girl, for bonus points.

On the subject of novels set in the early middle ages, here's a suggestion:
- The Firedrake, by Cecelia Holland

It follows an errant Irish knight who joins Duke William's invasion of England in 1066.

Same author has done many other historical novels worth investigating, only a few of which I've managed to get around to reading:
- The Kings in Winter: Brian Boru, Battle of Clontarf, etc
- Until the Sun Falls: Mongol invasions of Europe
- Antichrist: Frederick II, HRE, and his crusade
- The Earl: Set during the Anarchy of Matilda and Stephen in England
- The Death of Attila: follows a Hun and a Germanic princeling
- Great Maria: Follows a daughter of a baron in Southern Italy, Norman period
- Two Ravens: Christianization of Iceland
- The Belt of Gold: A 9th century Frank goes to Byzantium
- The Lords of Vaumartin: 100 Years War, and covers themes like chivalry vs reality, the Black Death, and the first commune
- Jerusalem: From Battle of Montgisard to Battle of Hattin

Aethel said:
On the subject of novels set in the early middle ages, here's a suggestion:
- The Firedrake, by Cecelia Holland

It follows an errant Irish knight who joins Duke William's invasion of England in 1066.

Same author has done many other historical novels worth investigating, only a few of which I've managed to get around to reading:
- The Kings in Winter: Brian Boru, Battle of Clontarf, etc
- Until the Sun Falls: Mongol invasions of Europe
- Antichrist: Frederick II, HRE, and his crusade
- The Earl: Set during the Anarchy of Matilda and Stephen in England
- The Death of Attila: follows a Hun and a Germanic princeling
- Great Maria: Follows a daughter of a baron in Southern Italy, Norman period
- Two Ravens: Christianization of Iceland
- The Belt of Gold: A 9th century Frank goes to Byzantium
- The Lords of Vaumartin: 100 Years War, and covers themes like chivalry vs reality, the Black Death, and the first commune
- Jerusalem: From Battle of Montgisard to Battle of Hattin
Thanks, I'll check those out when/if I have the time. I would also suggest Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series, which follows Genghis Khan and, in the later books, a bunch of other Mongols who I can't really remember right now. I read some of those a few years back, and I really liked them, aswell as I liked his Emperor series, which follows Julius Caesar, but it's not really medieval.

Thanks, I'll definitely look those up. The Mongol ones sound interesting.

Are any of you familiar with Guy Gavriel Kay?
He writes fantasy, but a lot of his novels are built with the idea of "fantasy closely based on history".
He has a novel known as A Song for Arbonne which mirrors the Albigensian Crusade - "Gorhaut" for France, "Arbonne" for Occitania.
Two more are set in "Khitai" instead of China, based on the Tang and Song dynasties.

The ones I feel might be down your alley, is the Sarantine Mosaic series.
First book is Sailing to Sarantium, second is Lord of Emperors.
Sarantium mirrors Constantinople, and the story follows a ruler and a reign not unlike Justinian and Theodora.
Main character is a Mosaicist from a land based on Italy.

Sounds interesting, I've never heard of him before. I'll see if I can get my hands on any of his books. Thanks for the tip  :party:!

Here's a nice soundtrack I rediscovered:

Lyrics:
Öll erum við gestir hér á gründ.
Aldrei að gista á einum stað.
Göfugt nafn gleymist aldrei.

Mín verður minnst.
We are all guests upon the land.
Never to stay in one place.
A noble name shall never perish.

I will not be forgotten.

There is something oriental, more specifically Japanese, in there as well I think, which makes for a nice mix.

Damn it, just thanks to The Witcher 3 found this awesome Polish folk band called Percival!
Why no one of you told me for the existence of this gem earlier.
They got tons of great Slavic songs and even one called Jomsborg.  ^^
The sounding of some songs reminds me for some stuff from Wardruna.

Saw this today and now I wonder if anyone knows under which category do the shields from Vikingr fall under:

To me they look like the one the guy used the glue to craft it, but seeing that shield broke when it got hit by a francisca, I kind of doubt it.

fysaga said:
Havent started reading but look what Ive got myself:

http://www.amazon.de/The-New-Cambridge-Medieval-History/dp/0521364477

Cant take pictures with my mobile phone, so an amazon link has to suffice.

Nice. I really like Cambridge Histories. Do you have that volume only or the entire thing?

Coincidentally, I'm now reading chapters 9 and 10 of the first volume (The Celtic kingdoms and The earliest Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, respectively). Really entertaining. Helps me with my insane craving for Late Roman/Arthurian (as in, Romano-British) Britain stuff.

Seriously, I would consider learning how to mod just to make something about that time period.

Back
Top Bottom