The Mead Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Make a Frisian group... Go on, you know you want to.  :razz:

We already have a Frisian group though. It's called the House of Fyrna – noble line among the Folk of Ing, to which belong the Angles, Saxons, Frisians and their kin and offspring.

But I'd be happy to help, of course.

Éadríc said:
Leifr Eiríksson said:
Make a Frisian group... Go on, you know you want to.  :razz:

We already have a Frisian group though. It's called the House of Fyrna – noble line among the Folk of Ing, to which belong the Angles, Saxons, Frisians and their kin and offspring.

But I'd be happy to help, of course.

LOL do they know they are Frisians :lol:

anyway, newsreader I was talking about
http://forum.mokkels.nl/5-nederlandse-mokkels/22646-dionne-stax.html

and my personal favorite wake up girl
http://forum.mokkels.nl/5-nederlandse-mokkels/13463-sanne-steusel.html

I see Hengwulfs dutch newsreader and raise a german Tagesschau moderator:

104682.jpg
IFA1_118626a.jpg
553679537.jpg
8548474,5750345,highRes,009501_2.jpg

PotatoPower said:
yeah, so.. I'm just going to pop in and ask if anyone has seen the series called Vikings? If you have not, shame on you.
In my opinion Vikings is a technically well done series but regarding its historical authenticity it is pretty much awful. Contrary to its appearance the framework of the story is in fact not historical but fantastical.

I've only seen the beach fight with the shield wall, on youtube, and that put me off. What on earth did they think they were doing with the Saxons? "Oh we'll turn up in uniform colours, wielding small shields and instead of fighting in a shield wall we'll just charge headlong like a bunch of clueless idiots." I like the Danes & the image of the vikingr just as much as anyone else but I also like my Saxons, Angles & Jutes too!

Yes, those small convex(!) shields and helmets with weird brow decorations - as for them being uniform I guess that's more a question of budget, perhaps I'm wrong. And yes, it was like, "OH! these übermenschen are making some kind of tactic which utterly destroys our awesome charge!!!" To add to that, later they use the same kind of armour as was used in Braveheart for the English  :lol:

They should just have recruited some reenactors and their gear would have been more accurate and not uniform. I'm a few episodes behind and I'll watch them because I'm a masochist and there's not much like this on TV anyway.

I'm much more excited about the new Crusader Kings 2 expansion rolling back the starting date to 867. It's coming out in a month!

rapier17 said:
I've only seen the beach fight with the shield wall, on youtube, and that put me off.
The whole scene is just ridiculous. Neither the Northumbrians nor the Vikings seem to have any idea of how to fight in a shield wall. The English basically just run against the Vikings to pile up to a useless human cluster and the Vikings are basically only trying to hide behind their shields without sparing any thought for their legs (Apparently there is no need for that due to the utterly incompetent enemy anyway). In general it looks much more like rugby or a mosh pit out of control than a battle. And again the Vikings are displayed pretty much as Mary Sues like it is usually the case in modern media. The equipment of both Northumbrians and Vikings is a complete disaster on its own.

Nevertheless I enjoy the music. Éadríc is right, Fever Ray's If I Had A Heart is simply superb and Wardruna is always great. To play Fehu during the raid of Hexham is a splendid idea. For one thing the music fits in perfectly, for another thing the meaning of the rune matches their greed for booty.

Yup. The Old Gods will be spectacular! We're planning on dividing up the British Isles between ourselves as our geographical location dictates. Leofwine will take Wessex (Sussex! :razz:), Big Mac will take Northumbria, Gibby and I will flip a coin on Mercia, the loser of the toss will probably take Anglia. It would be nice to have a couple of players in Ireland and elsewhere as the Viking raiders. Really looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom