The Mead Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

Weekly wednesday "event"? I'll have to warn you, this has been tried before, and is sadly a two-sided blade with one particularly blunt edge.
The idea might seem swell, but in the end, all that this does in the long run is saturating the demand for the mod.

TL;DR: At the least assuming you would wait until after the actual and official event.

Well, I'd say it's probably different for the North American community, since the playerbase is smaller. I assume these would probably be little more than weekly gatherings, coordinating the players so that people know that, at least on that day of the week, they'll be able to play in a populated server comparable to the kind of games we get on Hrafnabjóðr every day.

Going to roll with HannesFury here and add my own thoughts. You've been around this community for a long time Slytacular, I'm not sure why you think it's a particularly great idea to open a NA Víkingr server when the market for it just isn't there. There are few enough players as it is in Europe (relatively speaking), I'm not sure if the handful of NA regulars would appreciate the choice of a rock and a hard place. Do I play on a server with OK ping or do I play on the server with the rest of community and tolerate my ping? I wouldn't enjoy seeing the numbers drop any more either if the Americans decide to fiddle their thumbs elsewhere.

Weekly event? It's not needed in Víkingr any more; as far as I'm concerned the population won't be budging any further now. A weekly event would slay the turn out for every other day of the week. Hrafnabroðr generally sees a solid 20+ on every night, what more do you want?

We're all in this together dude; Hfranabroðr is our home. To do anything else at this point, I think, would jeopardise the ol' mead hall.

What? This is just a weekly event NA players will gather from different communities that I am in good contact with will play on? If I am stealing your playerbase, it will only be on Wednesday evenings. I'm pretty sure that the current small playerbase you have will continue to play on your server due to it being a popular and regularly active server to play on.

I feel rather insulted because I was going to start advertising on GK Siege (which gets more than 100 active players every night), and ask folk from other communities I'm in contact with, such as the Balions, other NA competitive communities, and some Napoleonic Wars guys.

If you still feel threatened by this, then I will pity and back off in disappointment. But if I have my way, then I will try to expand the NA playerbase, and not steal your people.

Sly, I sincerely did not mean to offer insults to you or to insinuate that you would be 'stealing' anything. There's nothing to steal really, if you wish to use that term. Your event-banner gave the impression that you intended this to be a world-wide event repeating every week. It's long in the tooth now, we've had week events and weekend events, siege events and not-so-siege events - they all came to the same slow death that repetition of weekly action bears. It becomes a chore for many, especially given the age of the regular playerbase here. However, now that I understand you mean this purely to drum up fresh American players. This is a fine thing, then and you should relish the challenge!

Again, I am sincere in my apology. I had no intention of insult; merely a few words from a pair of eyes that have been around longer than mostall.

Just felt like sharing:

I went to see Boudewijn de Groot last weekend. He is the last 'troubadour' I guess in the Netherlands. It was a great concert. Not much viking in it but as I enjoy many foreign songs I coulnd't possibly understand, I thought I would share.

Some info: he sings about God creating the world (genesis), and being suprised about seeing Eva in his paradise garden. We all know **** broke loose after that, and the big man is as suprised as any one of us, how a beautiful woman can turn your world upside down. See if you like it. The 'drieluik' from Jeroen Bosch, a 16th century painter was the inspiration for the song writer Lennaert Nijgh, long time friend of Boudewijn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iSXqNihs0

Tuinderlustendrieluik.jpg

You GK chaps... I remember well over 1 year ago you wanted to create and sustain a NA server for Vikingr when there were many more players and you had all sorts of plans to create community stuff, and then you cut loose of the thought entirely, because apparently your GK "superiors" (LOL) felt it would distract you from your obligations to the clan and that it wasn't such a good idea. Sounds like a mixed case of overcontrolling parents, only more sadly they aren't even that, and a weak personality. Can't say I'm thrilled with you fiddling with the community on a game organization role with such volatile behavior, who knows if you won't end up doing more harm than good.

Harkon Haakonson said:
You GK chaps... I remember well over 1 year ago you wanted to create and sustain a NA server for Vikingr when there were many more players and you had all sorts of plans to create community stuff, and then you cut loose of the thought entirely, because apparently your GK "superiors" (LOL) felt it would distract you from your obligations to the clan and that it wasn't such a good idea. Sounds like a mixed case of overcontrolling parents, only more sadly they aren't even that, and a weak personality. Can't say I'm thrilled with you fiddling with the community on a game organization role with such volatile behavior, who knows if you won't end up doing more harm than good.
Hahahaha what crazy idea about GK are you getting out of this? We GKs had to shut down the Vikingr server, because our server provider was terrible. We just got a better one not too long ago that can now run our Siege server smoothly, and host a few other ones too like Vikingr.

Harkon is probably referencing this:

Slytacular said:
My GK family told me that starting a Vikingr guild was a bad idea. I'm sorry I can not initiate a Vikingr clan, or partake one of fear of losing my position in Native. Forgive me. I'll just remain a freelancer for ShieldWall Events. But I will take upon my new name though!

Slytacular said:
My Native clan cock-blocks stuff sometimes.

That was two years ago.. A lot has happened since.  That was my decision to drop the Vikingr clan idea, and it was my opinion only. I led a Native scrim team at that time long ago, and I did not want to lose my position as a scrim team leader, because I wanted to work with my team for competitive play and not disband. So please dont hate on my community for an upstart on a project that never began. US_GK_Vikingr server and the events associated would've never kicked off if I was not part of GK.

I ask of you to ignore the earlier posts I created and that you quoted, because I was immature back then, and was not fully appreciative of what I had to begin with.

*Unnecessary argument detected*
Please don't drag up old crap. Or as we say in the Netherlands: "Don't drag old cows out of the ditch!"

Well good news is that most of my community would like to play Vikingr again, so this may actually turn alright.

EDIT: I am also wondering why a starting 86% currency is a good and balanced number for Vikingr? Links to threads of that discussion would be nice.

It's not too hard in my experience. If you want it to be curved or bent or however you want to call it, it's a bit tougher, but well worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom