The Mead Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

KickingJoub said:
RagnarGerman said:
I add that I agree to the things being said, that the ban of Jomsborg members was (mostly) legit.

Thank you for the input, and I do agree even myself that things got out of hand and overreactions happened. Even the admins are only human and prone to making mistakes.

I think we can agree to, a lot of situations could have been avoided if certain people (mosty us and me included) would have acted less childish and silly.

RagnarGerman said:
I think we can agree to, a lot of situations could have been avoided if certain people (mosty us and me included) would have acted less childish and silly.

Perhaps, can't say I was ever free of fault, won't talk for anyone else. It was easy to get frustrated and then act unreasonably harsh. Kick/ban enough people and they start looking like statistics rather than people with reasons for doing what they do. Not that there's much space as an admin to care about the specifics behind every rule break, so it turns into a spiral. But yes, the silly act got old real fast.

I think that they should move closer to their original inspiration for the series; Kings Bounty and Heroes of Might and Magic.
There should be more RPG-elements which allow you to develop your hero and army the way you like. There should be learnable talents, like "Archery commander: +3% to ranged attack for all bow-armed units" and "Folk Hero: -25% cost to recruit from villages" and other kinds of things, alongside the traditional skills. Talents should come in levels 1-3, so while Archery Commander doesn't do much by 1st level, 3rd level should give a worthwhile bonus, by giving 10% accuracy, firing rate and damage bonus to all units and so on. Talents should also have skill requirements; Archery Commander would require x amount of power draw, for instance.

They should also include artifacts; powerful items which give bonuses to skill and other possible features.
Like, for example, the Butter Casket of King Harlaus, which gives you 6 items of butter at the start of every week, and Winged Boots of Escape which give you 75% chance to escape lost battles and the ability to fly over woods, mountains, cliffs, waters and other map-aspects with your army.

Faction variety is also a lackluster thing in M&B, currently. All of them are humans! And they call this a fantasy game? Bah! They should atleast add dwarves, elves, centaurs, orcs, dark elves, dark dwarves, dark centaurs, dark humans and demons! They should also add angels and other celestial and good beings, like gryffons for example, as top-tier units and mounts for the human faction. Dwarves should get rune magic and golem-like construct as special units and mounts, centaurs wouldn't need mounts, elves could get treants and special elfhorses which... are elvish? And orcs should, of course, get goblins and big wolves and goblins on big wolves and goblins in big wolves.

With more, different and unique fantasy factions they should also add new unique campaigns for all of these. By now, we all know that this "sandbox campaign" thing is just an excuse to not be able to come up with actual campaigns! For the humans, the first part of their campaign could be like the one in Warband: Unite all the human kingdoms. Then they should be led in defense against the orcs, demons, dark elves, dark dwarves, dwarves, orcs, elves, centaurs and what not, and then to close the Gates of Hell. This format could be easily used for all the races, and the "close the hell gates" could be turned into "Open the Hell-Gates" for the demons.

I really like Warband for not having... dark centaurs...? high elves...? dark high humans...? short hobgoblins...? It's quite nice when there is more than 1 humanoid species in a game, but if there are a lot, the game is becoming another silly and boring "high fantasy mishmash"
It does look like Thorfinnr was kidding anyway.

We need little ginger minotaurs labelled as the Spawn of Cora as a Bannerlord feature. Also, little goblins with seaxes hiding in every nook and cranny, it'll be like Where is Waldo but historically accurate.

Manual blocking for spears is, naturally, part of it.

:party:

Hey there, I'd like to ask a question about clothes used by tribal peoples in Vikingr's timeline. I was always surprised that clothes in Vikingr are very colorful, as I don't suppose coloring clothes was neither cheap nor easy back then. Could anyone here explain me how people colored clothes in early medieval?

Wow, that's great! Very informative video, thanks for posting it here.
From what I can see, some common stuff is used to paint the meterial in red. And I thought that this color was very hard to obtain back then  :smile:

Okay, I've got another question, this time concerning classes/ranks.
First of all, I'd like to learn more about classes in Northmenn faction. I think that Lythi simply means a soldier of a levy, as Lyth appears to mean levy. I don't really know the meaning of other classes (Skyti, Voerdr, Hoefdingi), though.
Second of all, according to wikipedia, jarl was a title of land owners in Scandinavia rather than leaders of Viking warbands. Is it true? I ask this question because almost every Vikingr clan dedicated to Northmenn used "jarl" as a title of their leader.

First of all, it's important to note that while iron age Scandinavia had marks of warrior culture, theirs was not a militaristic one, unlike, say, that of the Normans. The clans imagined in Vikingr are largely just that, clans.

While each man and woman was responsible for his and her life, and was expected to be armed for when the need may arise, it would be in the interest of richer owners of larger pieces of land to make sure said land is protected when necessary. Perhaps also to an extent, where this was custom, making sure that raids were successful. To what extent a "Jarl" may have partaken in such activities most likely was too varied to deserve commentary, but for our purposes would make sense to some extent, though not necessarily. Do keep in mind that we did have kings around at this point, and that raiding was something belonging more to the past.

Side note I couldn't fit anywhere else: Most of the violence, I imagine, would not have been from warlike events, but ongoing disputes between families and everyday vile and criminal behavior, to which Jarls had some legal precedence. Again, this harkens back to earlier so-called viking age.

That's my 2¢.

IIRC, when i asked what the leader of a raiding ship (Örninn) would be, Pork told me it'd be a jarl, since he would need to be rich enough to afford a ship and the crew  That's why I'm Thorfinnr Jarl. Höfdingi (please forgive my wrong spelling, on phone atm) is a leader of a warband/party. I'd guess it has something to do with the word þing, and I guess höf means head.
Vördr means 'warden', and iirc they guarded holy places or something.

Do remember that I am by no means knowledgeable in the subject.

Thank you guys!
I also found a word 'hersir' which appears to be used by Vikingr clans as a rank of a second in command, while on wikipedia it's described as a commander of 100 men or a leader of a Viking party.

Höfðingi is simply höfuð, "head", plus the -ing ending. It is practically identical to Latin capitaneus (>English captain, chieftain), from caput, "head".

Vörðr means (and is etymologically the same as) "guard". I don't know if the word had more specialized uses, but here the generic meaning is intended (they're supposed to represent the chieftain's core professional retainers).

Liði doesn't mean "member of the levy (in the sense we tend to think of)" so much as "member of a host, or of a ship's crew".

As for hersir, Wikipedia doesn't say they commanded 100 men, but a hundred, which is an administrative division, i. e. land. I don't know where they got that, though. The thing is, this was a long time, and what a hersir was seems to have changed a lot.

Back
Top Bottom