The Mead Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

I was a bit disappointed as well, mostly about 1) England the mythical country 2) apparently they haven't invented drakars yet and he is super cool with his new ship 3) the storyline goes way to fast. In the first episode they introduce so many people, a great meeting, his wife introduced like awesome fighter babe, strange Merlin like shipbuilder, brother / wife affairs, etc. etc. All these thing took about 3 seconds before the next thing was going on.

But since Viking/ Dark age series and films are not abundant, what is a great must see, as we are quite critical.

ps. As a birdwatcher, my sack really hit the floor when in the first few seconds all ravens were actually crows  :neutral:

Hengwulf said:
ps. As a birdwatcher, my sack really hit the floor when in the first few seconds all ravens were actually crows  :neutral:

Hm, weren't ravens a bit rare in early middle ages too? I mean, they did call snakes and worms the same, not being able to tell a crow from a raven would be very likely for vikings. And I presume on real battlefield there would be more crows than ravens.

And the fight scenes I've seen so far make no sense too, but then I've never seen a well made combat scene in any movie ever.

Well crows are ofcourse more common, but hey! it was freakin' Oðin himself there. They should have taken ravens :eek:

It's a f** series for entertainment not a documentary...
Braveheart is also completely inaccurate but it entertains...

Nyah said:
It's a f** series for entertainment not a documentary...
Braveheart is also completely inaccurate but it entertains...

And the award for missing half the discussion goes to...! Anyway, just to summarize: They're not talking about the tv series being generally entertaining but about everyone calling it "historically accurate" which it's not. They're also discussing how they view the inaccurasies as a problem from their point of view for being entertained.

So stop being butthurt about what other people think about the things you like.

Barabas said:
I just pretend it's another fantasy series and suddenly it's not that bad any more. ^^

I actually enjoyed Game of Thrones :razz: Low fantasy somewhat based in history, with good story, decent acting and cool scenery. Also the costume design was done very well.

Dragomir said:
I actually enjoyed Game of Thrones :razz: Low fantasy somewhat based in history, with good story, decent acting and cool scenery. Also the costume design was done very well.

I think the TV series is decent, too, but if you ask me the costume design was the worst thing about it. Some of those armours were downright abysmal.  :???:

This seems to be somewhat confusing. I have thought crow would be an umbrella term for ravens, therefore that every raven is a crow but not every crow a raven (only the larger species). And in fact the various species of crows and ravens are not only part of the family corvidae but even part of the same genus, called corvus.
However while Wikipedia in fact refers to crow when looking up corvus, the Latin word corvus actually means raven, which in turn would mean that not all ravens are crows but all crows are ravens. In the end the terms crow and raven appear to be very spongy.

Corvidae (Crow family)
                                                                I
True crows (corvus genus)            Magpies (pica genus)          Jays (Garrulus)  etc

*different ravens                            *eurasian magpie                *eurasian jay
*different crows                              *yellowbilled magie
*rooks                                            *blackbilled magpie
*jackdaws
etc

the *  are species.

I also understand the confusion since the family and genus are named after a species which resembles other members of the family. Therefor not all ravens are crows (talking species), but all ravens are part of the true crow genus and the crow family.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Ya nice poem. Had to wikipedia it to see the link. It's just so funny as in Finnish we call that awesome bird as harakka and it's quite a different sounding name as magpie which always makes me somehow think of some English dish...

Hengwulf said:
                                                  Corvidae (Crow family)
                                                                I
True crows (corvus genus)            Magpies (pica genus)          Jays (Garrulus)  etc

*different ravens                            *eurasian magpie                *eurasian jay
*different crows                              *yellowbilled magie
*rooks                                            *blackbilled magpie
*jackdaws
etc

the *  are species.

I also understand the confusion since the family and genus are named after a species which resembles other members of the family.
Therefor not all ravens are crows (talking species), but all ravens are part of the true crow genus and the crow family.

h6EB708C6

Back
Top Bottom