The Malazan Book Of The Fallen discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Don't get me wrong, none of the cover art for this series is particularly good or descriptive. It's just that particular cover is so out-of-place and unrepresentative of the book itself. It's like something they'd put on a Terry Pratchett book.

The whole people killing each other in whatever that city is called again.
Note that the last instance is... eh **** it. Just gonna spoiler it.
Anomander's blade, Dragnipur, reflects off Dessembrae's blade and thus he is killed with Dragnipur.
Which means he is bound inside of Dragnipur.
Which he had planned. The whole Mother Dark is back and all is bound to that. He forgave her.
It also robbed poor Dessembrae of his revenge, but thus is his life :razz:

The making of the blade and everything inside it should've been explained to the reader by now. I will abstain from saying anything about it in case I am wrong and it's done later. But there already was a PoV section inside of it before though, with Draconus talking to whoever it was that got sent inside and two hounds escaping through the wagon, no?

Yesyesyesyesyes. I looked up Dragnipur again after that post yesterday, and all was made clear. Apparently, I had to remember the bit in GotM that you mentioned, where apparently it was explained that
the Gate of Darkness is the black spot on the bottom of the wagon, where all the chains were, that ole boy Ganoes escaped through. I dunno, some reminder might've been nice, this was 7.5 books ago and it's not like all the intricacies of Dragnipur were explained at the time.

Update: I'm a bit further than halfway through DoD and Gall, the khundryl warleader, has just secured a peace treaty with the Bolkando queen. However, the Bolkando side had barghast allies. Can anyone remind me why that is?

The barghast were instrumental for the vitcory at Capustan, where they discovered they used to have boats 'n stuff, and went to the... er... the Lether continent(?), where their ancestral lands allegedly were. Onoss T'oolan becomes warleader of the Whiteface barghast, and we see him at the end of the Red Mask story arc (arriving way too late to aid the now decimated Grey Swords of Elingarth). In DoD, we also see the barghast's dislike for T'oolan ("Tool" is silly and I won't call him that) and so on. But why wouldn't the barghast side with the Malazani and Perish Grey Helms, at least?

Done with Dust of Dreams.
Solid. Very solid.

Holy ****, the Barghast turned out to be ****ing savage, and I'm not saying this as a compliment. Can't help but feel bad for poor Strahl - he did the right thing, but that didn't save him from Onoss T'oolan's vengeance.

The ****ing snake, man. Jeeeeeeesus Christ, or should I be invoking D'rek? And I thought the Feather Witch storyline was ****ed up. :lol:

Of course the Forkrul Assail had to show up in apparent force. I'm not sure why I'm even surprised. The Jaghut were supposed to be mostly gone, the Che'Malle were supposed to be gone, the ****ing Nah'Ruk were supposed to be gone, and the Assail were like the Jaghut. And since everyone else is alive and kicking, of course the ****ing Assail would become the main antagonist for book #10 (if I've understood correctly).

Despite all the high-stakes battles and ****, the moment that stood out to me as the most stunning one was when "the ghost" was revealed to be Icarium, in Kalse Rooted. I'd been wondering what the **** is going on, and why are all these people there, and why are their surroundings changing all the time ("Suddenly there was a shovel. Had there been a shovel? There'd always been a shovel"), and what the **** is Taralack Veed doing there, but the big reveal simply smashed me right in the face, as if it were Caladan Brood with his hammer. Powerful stuff.
So it was all Icarium's imagination, slowly rebuilding itself after the "new warrens" machine went off, whatever the **** that entails. How/why did he have access to Feather Witch (and Errastas's eye), I have no idea.
I guess that also means that Taxillian is indeed dead, which is a pity, because I really liked him.

Yeah, the big battles and stuff are exciting, but I honestly seem to have stopped caring much about them. I'm guessing that too many OP and too many unexplained things are happening for me to project expectations. OMG, the yet-unseen* Nah'Ruk show up with absolutely bonkers-OP weapons and magic?! OMG, this yet-unseen Ruthan Gudd is actually some weird demigod wielding a magic sword?! OMG, Quick Ben just blew himself and half a legion ("fury") up?! Sinn and Grub are at the other battle and are using OP OP magic too?! Endless amounts of sky fortresses?! WAAH!

Nah, everything else is way more interesting than that. Now the Bonehunters are presumed dead, but I'm ready to put money that this won't be the case. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of the named characters will be there. Someone will possibly be very worried that the army has been really thinned out, but I don't see any other major impacts on anything.** In fact, if Quick Ben is actually dead, I'll go out, buy a hat, and eat it.

I used to like Lieutenant Pores when he played tricks on Kindly, but now he's become a **** to everyone else instead, I'm starting to dislike him.
Atri-ceda Aranict and her swooning whenever Brys is around is ****ing hilarious, as was Brys's attempt to set up Lostara with that buff Bluerose dude who didn't exist before this book. Brys is just being pretty awesome all-around.
GALL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Tanakalian is bad news bears, mark my words. Not that I don't know what he'll do, but still.

I'm really hoping for a Paran family reunion in the last book. Maybe that'll dislodge the massive wooden beam that's been stuck up Tavore's ass the entirety of this book.

Something different: when Felash was attempting to contact her mother, Abrastal, it was mentioned that "Jhistal priests" are actually a part of the cult to Mael. This means that that scumbag Mallick Rel is actually a priest of Bugg?! *one side-tracked Wiki lookup later* Wait, wait, so if they kill the Empress and Rel becomes the new Emperor, does this mean that Mael has influence over the Malazan Empire?!
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Ooooh, and one last thing. Kalse/Ampelas Rooted were described as "dragon-like". Despite knowing how the Moonshard (moon's spawn, pardon) looks, I spent 90% of this book thinking that these fortresses literally looked like statues of dragons (since Taxillian and the crew found a door "by the leg", that didn't help). That was mildly confusing. :lol:

* Karsa Orlong killing "a thing" in some dilapidated fort on another continent doesn't count. How the **** would I know that's a Nah'Ruk?!***
** Except Ibron and Keneb dying, I guess.
*** Unless Samar Dev told us so, in which case I don't remember that.

:razz:
A
As far as I know, there are several different designs for the floating fortresses right? We've seen many so far,
and they all have a different feel, I imagine them to be like the floating mountains in Avatar or even that one floating island in Tansformers: Beast wars.

Finished TCG a few days ago.
What can I say aside from "This one was pretty great"?

Merlkir here was telling me that the Crippled God wasn't inherently evil. How would I accept this, I retort, when we spent the last 8.5 books (since I don't believe he was featured in the first one) talking about how he's bad and he's poisoning Burn and whatnot, and only halfway through the final book we're told that High House Chains also corresponds to the chains of virtue and bravery and love and compassion that good people choose to place upon themselves?! WHAT A TWIST, HE REALLY WASN'T EVIL!
Oh well, this was masterfully executed at least. Just like Cotillion's stabby manoeuvre. Good job. I'm not sure that was exactly what K'rul and Mael had in mind, but it worked out pretty well, didn't it.

I'm don't quite remember what happened to Yan Tovis and Sandalath. Sand fled and locked herself in her hostage room, and that was it(?); and I'm really not sure what happened to Yan Tovis... her brother died, and what happened then? Nimander and co. arrived and fought the Liosan and secured the final victory? I think?
Alas, all of that got sidelined by the more important things happening elsewhere.

I enjoyed seeing all the Forkrul Assail get killed. Serves them right. Humanity, **** yeah. You should've remained dead, damn multi-jointed abominations.

Alas, poor Sinn. You were a crazy psycho. Gessler and Androjan bit it too, but they were the sort of dudes who seemed marked for death. I'm rather sad about Torrent though. He used to be a little *****, but became a man, and died a hero. You will be remembered...

Glad that Tavore and Ganoes reunited again. Just as I predicted. :razz: The Master of the ****ing Deck truly deserved that title, too. Fan-bloody-tastic.

I really liked the bit where Fiddler saw Nefarias Bredd, and then we found out that such a person doesn't actually exist. I love that sort of thing. :lol:

And finally, Crokus and Apsalar were reunited. Nice closure and all that. Good. And heart-warming.
Great series. Thoroughly enjoyable. The Wheel of Time is nowhere to be seen in comparison. I must now re-read the two Sanderson Stormlight novels, so as to reassure myself that Erikson isn't so much better than Sanderson. :razz:

(since I don't believe he was featured in the first one)
He had some presence, but I don't recall if he featured directly.

I loved the Nefarias Bredd thing. It was brilliant.  :razz:

Glad you liked it. When I read the series it quite quickly got elevated to my favorite fantasy series. It's great to see others enjoy it as much.

Ah, somehow missed you're over DoD! What did you think of
Hetan's unfortunate end?

Considering what you always mentioned about Erikson and pointless torture of characters...
There was a bit of a controversy over that one.

Mr.Milker said:
Ah, somehow missed you're over DoD! What did you think of
Hetan's unfortunate end?
Well, as I said, the Barghast turned out to be rather more savage than we used to think they were. It was shocking of course, and all too sad. But the culprits paid, and Hetan was fine at the end, so all's well that ends well.

Just hopping straight to page 11 to give you my "opinion" about this series. I have read the first book together with another 90 pages of book two... I was very confused. The book seems alright, but as a new reader, I found it very chaotic, I did not understand many things and the book kept making me confused until I decided to stop it on the second one. I like the concept, but.. yeah. With one word, confusing.

๖Kern said:
Just hopping straight to page 11 to give you my "opinion" about this series. I have read the first book together with another 90 pages of book two... I was very confused. The book seems alright, but as a new reader, I found it very chaotic, I did not understand many things and the book kept making me confused until I decided to stop it on the second one. I like the concept, but.. yeah. With one word, confusing.

I suggest you read this thread, Lumos, and basically every other reader almost gives up during the first two books, but by memories of ice, things begin to fall into place and make sense.

After that it’s a wild ride.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 182 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Been re-reading Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas again, because I wanted something quick and easy and Erikson has a way of putting in wonderful comedic relief and little details.

Briv, Cook's helper, glanced over at Briv, Carpenter's helper, then back at snuffling Briv, Rope Braider, whose orange mane of hair was strangely tousled, almost askew.

That's how it always is. People in charge always survive, when everyone else gets slaughtered. No, he'll live, and so will Cook, because no one likes to cook and that's just the thing. Cook's a poet.
No, really, a poet. He sure as Hood ain't a cook.
Now if only he was any good at the poet stuff.

@Kern I'd recommend reading memories of ice, it's pretty good even if you read it first (as I did), although I wouldn't particularly recommend the series overall.

Apparently Erikson decided to put the final Kharkanas book on hold whilst he writes a Karsa Orlong trilogy. Lame.

I'm at chapter 3 of book 2. Best way I can describe this series so far, playing Morrowind for the 1st time but with a savegame from another person with 100 hours in, and the journal has been deleted.

Book 2 finished. This could be just be tittled "Deus Ex Machina". The whole "I'm not going to tell you anything of this fantasy world" seems designed just to be able to pull out crazy stuff out of nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom