The major features that the devs should add to the game after release as patches (not DLC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
I'm only talking about new patches, not paid dlcs, so I'm not going to suggest really large overhauls like boats and naval combat, so here are the things that I think the devs should consider adding after release:

Things that are definitely needed to be added:
- Better armor protection against ranged attacks, especially against arrows.

- Fixed spears & thrusts, the thrusting damage should apply when the tip of the weapon connects with an enemy, not when the stabbing animation is finishing. Instead, the damage dealt can be calculated based on weapon handling and when the tip of the weapon contacts the enemy in relation to the animation, like it does with swings.

- Better diplomacy, I don't care if the devs just copy the diplomacy mod and paste it, or give us a watered down version of it. We badly need diplomacy options in this game which include non-aggression pacts, alliances and trade agreements. Furthermore, they should also implement the forced abdication and secession mechanics found in the mod. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, clan leaders should propose kingdom policies and vote for policies based on their traits and material interests (so someone who's valorous and greedy should vote for war against a neighbouring kingdom, someone who's cautious and calculating should vote against the war declaration, etc.).

- Landline messenger, we can't really hire mercenary clans for our kingdom, we have to be very lucky to run into a minor clan leader who's not part of any other faction, which happens incredibly rarely. We should therefore be able to ask our governors to send various messages to clan and faction leaders. It would also be great to ask clan leaders to join our faction via messengers, and if they are open to our proposal (if they won't decline outright), they can come to one of our fiefs to discuss joining our faction (and then we have the chat check and the barter menu).

- Better character creation, we should be able to select our social status (starting as default, as a trader, a criminal, a mercenary, a lord or as a ruler of an existing faction), our marital status (our spouse can be a random lord/lady from the same culture) and whether we have kids (option to choose 0-3 kids, which are randomly generated to be between the ages 1-16). We should also be able to allocate and min/max our starting focus and attribute points (the ones we get from choosing our age and reaching level 1) at character creation and we should get more levels for our skills at the start (I propose gaining +20 in a skill for every focus point in a skill chosen during character creation). Finally, I think attributes should give some small benefits like each point in endurance giving +2 HP.

- More kingdom options, rulers should be more powerful than they are. Things like being able to make peace without a war through talking with the enemy ruler (and talking via messenger) and being able to claim fiefs outright without it going to a vote needs to be part of the game (for a medium relation cost with every clan in the kingdom). We should also get more bodyguards in settlements according to our standing (1 Bodyguard for being a merc, 2 for a lord, 3 for a ruler).

- Better banner creation, we should have a wide range of colour, sigil and also background options (2 colour split in the middle vertically, cross, chequered, etc.) when creating our banner. It's a huge let down right now.

- Having the option of speeding up (or slowing down) the day/night cycle (or making years shorter) with a menu, currently dynastic gameplay is nigh impossible because we can conquer the map before any of our kids grow up to the age of 18, even if we married and had a child within the first year. The tricky part of implementing this would be to also increasing the "daily ticks" (like payments due period, influence, loyalty, security, militia, etc.) by the same amount (e.g. if we speed up the day/night cycle by 3x, we should be needing to pay our troops once every 3 days, we get +x influence every 3 days, etc.).

- More dialogues, this is probably the easiest "feature" to add, just copy the options we had like asking lords how the war is going and where x lord is currently at, etc.. Companions should also be talking more, such as whether they like or dislike another companion (based on their respective traits), talking about the significance of a location when our party is near a location that is personally related to them (the lore for these locations already exist in the encyclopaedia, just minor edits to these bits of information would suffice for the dialogue of the companion).

- More quests, there should be more quests given both by notables and nobles. It would be great if the devs brought back iconic quests from warband like saving the village from bandits, training villagers, hunt down fugitive (nervous man quest), denouncing (& duelling) lords, making peace between lords and raiding caravans, etc..

Things which would be nice to have:
- Adding Freelancer/Serve as a soldier mod to the base game, it would be a great addition as a gameplay option for early/mid game and a logical way of gaining renown and gear.

- Adding the Distinguished Service mod to the base game, it would be great as both a roleplay feature and a way of recuperating after a companion is lost in battle.

- Adding Feasts, feasts were a meh feature in Warband imo, I would be okay with them returning to the game (provided that they are rebalanced to only be able to have a feast during peacetime) but not something absolutely necessary for me.

- Adding Grand tournaments that happen once every 5 years, having a grand tournament that has 5 tiers/32 participants invited from the top places of the arena leaderboard where we can also bet double the normal amount (x4 the normal amount when we have the roguery perk) that gives tier 6 equipment/mounts and a large amount of renown (+100 maybe?) would be a great addition as something to do during peacetime and would incentivize players to do tournaments more than 5-10 times in a playthrough.

- Adding torches, It is really dark at night, giving torches to a few units in a formation like with banners would be a good QoL improvement.

These are some of my suggestions, please feel free to write here if you have any additional suggestions

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Oh don't worry, I'm under no illusion that TW will add these. I just wrote these so that TW may see and add a watered down version of the feature they consider the easiest to the game. I reeeeeeally doubt that they will even be considering most of the "necessary" features that I've written, but a man can dream right ?

Oh don't worry, I'm under no illusion that TW will add these. I just wrote these so that TW may see and add a watered down version of the feature they consider the easiest to the game. I reeeeeeally doubt that they will even be considering most of the "necessary" features that I've written, but a man can dream right ?
I'm just jaded as 90% of them have been suggested and discussed relentlessly. A fair few have been taken to the devs suggestion round table and denied by the man himself sadly. No issue with posting it tho.

I'm only talking about new patches, not paid dlcs, so I'm not going to suggest really large overhauls like boats and naval combat, so here are the things that I think the devs should consider adding after release:

Things that are definitely needed to be added:
- Better armor protection against ranged attacks, especially against arrows.

- Fixed spears & thrusts, the thrusting damage should apply when the tip of the weapon connects with an enemy, not when the stabbing animation is finishing. Instead, the damage dealt can be calculated based on weapon handling and when the tip of the weapon contacts the enemy in relation to the animation, like it does with swings.

- Better diplomacy, I don't care if the devs just copy the diplomacy mod and paste it, or give us a watered down version of it. We badly need diplomacy options in this game which include non-aggression pacts, alliances and trade agreements. Furthermore, they should also implement the forced abdication and secession mechanics found in the mod. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, clan leaders should propose kingdom policies and vote for policies based on their traits and material interests (so someone who's valorous and greedy should vote for war against a neighbouring kingdom, someone who's cautious and calculating should vote against the war declaration, etc.).

- Landline messenger, we can't really hire mercenary clans for our kingdom, we have to be very lucky to run into a minor clan leader who's not part of any other faction, which happens incredibly rarely. We should therefore be able to ask our governors to send various messages to clan and faction leaders. It would also be great to ask clan leaders to join our faction via messengers, and if they are open to our proposal (if they won't decline outright), they can come to one of our fiefs to discuss joining our faction (and then we have the chat check and the barter menu).

- Better character creation, we should be able to select our social status (starting as default, as a trader, a criminal, a mercenary, a lord or as a ruler of an existing faction), our marital status (our spouse can be a random lord/lady from the same culture) and whether we have kids (option to choose 0-3 kids, which are randomly generated to be between the ages 1-16). We should also be able to allocate and min/max our starting focus and attribute points (the ones we get from choosing our age and reaching level 1) at character creation and we should get more levels for our skills at the start (I propose gaining +20 in a skill for every focus point in a skill chosen during character creation). Finally, I think attributes should give some small benefits like each point in endurance giving +2 HP.

- More kingdom options, rulers should be more powerful than they are. Things like being able to make peace without a war through talking with the enemy ruler (and talking via messenger) and being able to claim fiefs outright without it going to a vote needs to be part of the game (for a medium relation cost with every clan in the kingdom). We should also get more bodyguards in settlements according to our standing (1 Bodyguard for being a merc, 2 for a lord, 3 for a ruler).

- Better banner creation, we should have a wide range of colour, sigil and also background options (2 colour split in the middle vertically, cross, chequered, etc.) when creating our banner. It's a huge let down right now.

- Having the option of speeding up (or slowing down) the day/night cycle (or making years shorter) with a menu, currently dynastic gameplay is nigh impossible because we can conquer the map before any of our kids grow up to the age of 18, even if we married and had a child within the first year. The tricky part of implementing this would be to also increasing the "daily ticks" (like payments due period, influence, loyalty, security, militia, etc.) by the same amount (e.g. if we speed up the day/night cycle by 3x, we should be needing to pay our troops once every 3 days, we get +x influence every 3 days, etc.).

- More dialogues, this is probably the easiest "feature" to add, just copy the options we had like asking lords how the war is going and where x lord is currently at, etc.. Companions should also be talking more, such as whether they like or dislike another companion (based on their respective traits), talking about the significance of a location when our party is near a location that is personally related to them (the lore for these locations already exist in the encyclopaedia, just minor edits to these bits of information would suffice for the dialogue of the companion).

- More quests, there should be more quests given both by notables and nobles. It would be great if the devs brought back iconic quests from warband like saving the village from bandits, training villagers, hunt down fugitive (nervous man quest), denouncing (& duelling) lords, making peace between lords and raiding caravans, etc..

Things which would be nice to have:
- Adding Freelancer/Serve as a soldier mod to the base game, it would be a great addition as a gameplay option for early/mid game and a logical way of gaining renown and gear.

- Adding the Distinguished Service mod to the base game, it would be great as both a roleplay feature and a way of recuperating after a companion is lost in battle.

- Adding Feasts, feasts were a meh feature in Warband imo, I would be okay with them returning to the game (provided that they are rebalanced to only be able to have a feast during peacetime) but not something absolutely necessary for me.

- Adding Grand tournaments that happen once every 5 years, having a grand tournament that has 5 tiers/32 participants invited from the top places of the arena leaderboard where we can also bet double the normal amount (x4 the normal amount when we have the roguery perk) that gives tier 6 equipment/mounts and a large amount of renown (+100 maybe?) would be a great addition as something to do during peacetime and would incentivize players to do tournaments more than 5-10 times in a playthrough.

- Adding torches, It is really dark at night, giving torches to a few units in a formation like with banners would be a good QoL improvement.

These are some of my suggestions, please feel free to write here if you have any additional suggestions
I like where you are going with this (and where you already went). I think player charactar should be able to “task” companions without origination from NPC. For example, destroying specific enemy groups, patrolling , augmenting garrisons, and so forth. I’d like to be able to marry companions to family members (keep the girls in the clan), companions able to marry each other, more than one companion attached to NPC parties, AND births out-of-wedlock. Most medieval kings did this. Reknown and influence could take hits if devs are worried sbout promoting bad behavior…besides, it’s a game with a lot of killing, why not insert other interesting and morslly questionable realities. Another would be improving companion relations by providing them gear and horses. I also liked Warband style village feifs. I.e., grant a cimpanion a village to a companion wjo stays a companion.
I suppose adding all of this could induce crashes/instability, but that’s the only reason why not. Ah, well…alas probanly too late.

well I think they should make the AI behave more like they are people and beings - that translates automatically into a whole bunch of that list.
I'm inclined into the addition of gameplay loops outside world war calradia - so things to do that are not battle only & conquer only. - including possible outside threats so that the game doesn't always dies once you manage to paint the entire map.

Than a layer of coexistence so the world develops on it's own - basically let the AI play the game and give us means of coexistence so actually having multiple kingdoms means something - since layered hierarchy's off the table (would be sort of too hard to pull off properly) and we're going to have civil wars, give an factual point as to that being a thing or an alternative, if having a single empire or 50 kingdoms doesn't change anything, that means the entire struggle of the civil war's completely meaningless in practice.

As is independent factions or mono-massive empire don't make any difference what-so-ever to the world - it's all the same at all times - as I've said, the game's disjointed, nobles exist in a plane, notables in another plane, bandits in another, so on so forth. The only interaction they have are wars or who owns what - that's not a living world, it's a an arcade for bots. Which also brought me to question why do we even have interactive objects in scenes - I mean, it's pointless it's just there for the sake of it: Oh lemme enter my keep and sit on the throne and stare at the screen while absolutely nothing happens - or let me sit on this log in this bandit camp for no reason.

I mean, TW has created a foundational game in which it could support many interesting things with a lot of depth - it could also finally flush-out their world and lore - but so far the lore's just random gibberish written in the in-game encyclopedia bearing absolutely no meaning what-so-ever. We have these much more flushed-out and interesting scenes to explore, yet there's absolutely nothing to do in them that's either actually rewarding or that brings immersion - they are just because... We don't get to explore or use like 90% of the game, which also translates into wasted time investment by TW - if we had no scenes for towns, villages and castles on a civilian mode - the game would play exactly the same - what use to these have? none - just some arbitrary forced mechanic to walk 50km to change your hairstyle and kill some random gang troops with civilian gear. It's absolutely pointless...
This entire paragraph's just to explain why it's important to add quests and actual meaningful things to do within towns/castles/villages outside of battles or fetch quests. While also bringing to light the fact that this could be exploited to add further cosmetic customization to the game plus add events and in-scene questlines that explored the scenery, actually making all the sweat and time sacrificed to bring those scenes into something meaningful and useful. Without any of these elements, they are ultimately useless outside battles.

Following examples from mods made for Warband, and even VC DLC, we could have wonderous ruins to visit, interesting landmarks, and varied places in which the lore could be further explored while providing strong reasons to add quests and even mythos to the game, and if explored right those could even bring almost endless content for late-game while also widening progression alternatives for earlier stages of the game.

My suggestions over adding further customization and silly things like housing and other immersion leaning details' to make our wealth also mean something - past the pt of gearing into BiS, the entire economy part of the game becomes completely irrelevant, when it should at the same time bring means to achieve objectives and also have a weight on the world itself... Even details like overgrown grass in towns could play a part on this, as in the higher the prosperity of a town the better it looks, so 6k prosp town has zero overgrown grass, gains a little flare to it's appearance, walls become fully repaired, details like that make a huge difference to the experience in general.

I endorse your list, but I think that even if they did all of those without making the game a more rounded experience, that it wouldn't improve as much as the game needs to improve.

Last edited:
well I think they should make the AI behave more like they are people and beings - that translates automatically into a whole bunch of that list.
I'm inclined into the addition of gameplay loops outside world war calradia - so things to do that are not battle only & conquer only. - including possible outside threats so that the game doesn't always dies once you manage to paint the entire map.

Than a layer of coexistence so the world develops on it's own - basically let the AI play the game and give us means of coexistence so actually having multiple kingdoms means something - since layered hierarchy's off the table (would be sort of too hard to pull off properly) and we're going to have civil wars, give an factual point as to that being a thing or an alternative, if having a single empire or 50 kingdoms doesn't change anything, that means the entire struggle of the civil war's completely meaningless in practice.

My suggestions over adding further customization and silly things like housing and other immersion leaning details' to make our wealth also mean something - past the pt of gearing into BiS, the entire economy part of the game becomes completely irrelevant, when it should at the same time bring means to achieve objectives and also have a weight on the world itself... Even details like overgrown grass in towns could play a part on this, as in the higher the prosperity of a town the better it looks, so 6k prosp town has zero overgrown grass, gains a little flare to it's appearance, walls become fully repaired, details like that make a huge difference to the experience in general.

As is independent factions or mono-massive empire don't make any difference what-so-ever to the world - it's all the same at all times - as I've said, the game's disjointed, nobles exist in a plane, notables in another plane, bandits in another, so on so forth. The only interaction they have are wars or who owns what - that's not a living world, it's a an arcade for bots. Which also brought me to question why do we even have interactive objects in scenes - I mean, it's pointless it's just there for the sake of it: Oh lemme enter my keep and sit on the throne and stare at the screen while absolutely nothing happens - or let me sit on this log in this bandit camp for no reason.

I mean, TW has created a foundational game in which it could support many interesting things with a lot of depth - it could also finally flush-out their world and lore - but so far the lore's just random gibberish written in the in-game encyclopedia bearing absolutely no meaning what-so-ever. We have these much more flushed-out and interesting scenes to explore, yet there's absolutely nothing to do in them that's either actually rewarding or that brings immersion - they are just because... We don't get to explore or use like 90% of the game, which also translates into wasted time investment by TW - if we had no scenes for towns, villages and castles on a civilian mode - the game would play exactly the same - what use to these have? none - just some arbitrary forced mechanic to walk 50km to change your hairstyle and kill some random gang troops with civilian gear. It's absolutely pointless...
This entire paragraph's just to explain why it's important to add quests and actual meaningful things to do within towns/castles/villages outside of battles or fetch quests. While also bringing to light the fact that this could be exploited to add further cosmetic customization to the game plus add events and in-scene questlines that explored the scenery, actually making all the sweat and time sacrificed to bring those scenes into something meaningful and useful. Without any of these elements, they are ultimately useless outside battles.

Following examples from mods made for Warband, and even VC DLC, we could have wonderous ruins to visit, interesting landmarks, and varied places in which the lore could be further explored while providing strong reasons to add quests and even mythos to the game, and if explored right those could even bring almost endless content for late-game while also widening progression alternatives for earlier stages of the game.

I endorse your list, but I think that even if they did all of those without making the game a more rounded experience, that it wouldn't improve as much as the game needs to improve.

Yes thats sums it up nicely.

These examples are all very nice, I agree with your points. The devs have sooooo many opportunities in creating a more lively and immersive world, let's hope that they will listen (I'm like 90% certain they won't but a man can hope).

First of all, any weapon with the word "lance" in it's name should be able to deliver couched damage.

I know there are a lot of suggestions to add SP features that already existed in Warband (which is super sad), but the one Warband feature I want most is the ability to assign troops to specific groups. It was so nice being able to divide foot soldiers into "shielded" and "non-shielded" so they could be commanded differently. They kind of compromised by programming "Shield Wall" command to put soldiers without shields in the back, but I used to send my tier 1 and 2 troops after looters and such to get their easy xp instead of my elite troops slaughtering them. Now? It's a free-for-all.

I thought the most important thing is a reasonable way to trigger kingdom destruction,just like in m&b:warband, a kingdom lost all of its settlement should be destoryed after a period of time. not endlessly reaspawn lord parties and loot every single village of my kingdom for the rest of the save if I don't capture and kill every single enemy lord.

Very good suggestions. Diplomacy and companion tasks/messengers would be so nice.

Also agree that kingdom destruction needs a better trigger. Finally got fed up of my villages getting relentlessly raided after almost 20 years I rolled their heads.

My biggest suggestion to add is to finish workshops. They say level 1, so obviously something is/was planned. Smithy for example says it makes something like tier 5 weapons and ultra armors. I've had a smithy at Sanala(highest prosperity town in my game) for at least 30 years. Yet I've only ever seen 1 armor that seemed extraordinary and that was before I even had the smithy in the first couple years.

I'm an absurdly rich Khan that owns over half the map, yet my clan and I look like mismatched mercenaries. A crafting order system or better smithy functions would be cool.

I think Neretze's Folly related NPC deaths should be delayed during the campaign until day ~100 or so. So you can talk to them before this happens -

YrYygy3.jpg

This is Lucon rando dying before the end of day 2 of my campaign. :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom