The M&B MP 'feel' from a veteran

Users who are viewing this thread

I agree what was said in the thread, one would expect from MP to be more Warband like and offering at least the same things e.g. capture the Flag, battle and private servers. The idea of matchmaking is great! But it needs more work, like others have already mentioned...

Playing this game since 2010, even if you wanna focus on ranked skirmish you can't castrate your game by removing core Warband MP elements - battle and eq selection. Warband owes success to its modding community, battle game type and eq selection was essential for many mods.

Not to mention lack of focus on many quality of life improvements - no clan interface in game, no option for left alt toggle (looking for mod/script which keeps it on permanently), no in game tags, no reconnect for matchmaking. You are not Valve, do not try to be one cause you are not as experienced as they are.

Great post, I agree with all the points.

I do think the class system could be improved and made workable by adding another perk slot to each class and re-balancing the weapon pools. Within the weapon pools I'm mostly concerned about the "handling" stat for the different weapons in multiplayer. If it's just a measure of the weapon's head or hilt heaviness that's fine, but it seems that it heavily influences the swing animations leading to much better performance from 80 handling+. Right now there are so many "upgrade" weapons with drastically lower handling than the base weapons. A clear example is the Aserai Guard: the base Tabar weapon has 85 handling, but the upgraded bardiche is at 74. Most players are going to opt for the upgraded weapons without realizing how much of an impact the animation makes. And then there are entire weapon classes like polearms that have handling stats down in the 40-70s and feel sluggish across the board. I think the game would be more approachable for new players and have more variety for experienced players if all the weapons in multiplayer had standardized handling stats.

I miss the feeling of recognizing the player that have beaten you over and over again.
I miss the naked heroes, it was stupidly dumb but you know...
I miss the 22nd siege server, it had the sexiest maps and the least neo nazi propaganda of all casual servers

Currently there is no purpose other than whacking at enemies and therefore a lack of satisfaction and tension. Skirmish kinda has it but with the lack of customisation and random factions it's roll of the dice if you can have a prefered loadout.

If the game can sustain a large playerbase to divide it by "fix it" mods then that's all fine but if it goes back to ~500-1000 then it will be rough

I realise I kinda hijacked your thread to mini-rant but there are enough threads already so deal with it :razz:

I am shocked by the lack of battle and duel. It took me a while to realize they were gone. What the actual ****. Why? Battles were the core gamemode alongside sieges.

I can't have Bannerlord without special events with 200+ people and one life gamemodes. It is heresy. This should be simple to add.

While besides this I absolutely love everything bannerlord IS, I have to agree so much with what a step down removing the part of MP that allowed you to gear up for money. Here are the reasons why:

- All classes can be obtained with the very minimum of effort, making better ones feel less rewarding. Warband used to have armors "locked out" and available only to those very best who succeeded. Sporting those armors would make you feel rewarded, special, and stronger. It rewarded doing well and created the dynamic of essentially having a new class tier/gameplay style for those who could afford better weapons and armor. It would further be rewarding psychologically, because you sported an armor someone who hasn't performed so well didn't, and you could feel special and cool because of it.

- The gear system added variety was a HUGE factor for replayability. You could mix and match tons of armors and weapons, and if one combination got a little old, you let it rest for a while and experimented with something else. There were always weird weapons like maces, hammers, weird voulges and sickles that played differently and were unpopular. Playing with any one of these added a fresh experience. Let us not forget a very important factor, being that everyone looked unique. Everyone had their own preferred style, combination and kit, and you could always run into people who had something new. It almost felt like a little contained MMORPG in that sense. Yes, the nakeds were a problem, but this could easily be avoided by simply enforcing minimum armor. People could also choose not to have a helmet, so that their unique or freakish face would stand out. Its how legends were made and known.

- All of this added novelty and longevity, as well as a contained sense of progression. You could always measure your progress in money, and then buy whatever you want within a class. That made the system unique and what's more, it made it more balanced. A counter could always be picked for anything.

But what this ultimately achieves is people retaining interest for a much longer time, because there is always something new to try and see. Much less so with the current system we have.

Please TaleWorlds, this is what set you apart from generic class based multiplayer games. Do not forsake your roots.

Great post, I agree with all the points.

I do think the class system could be improved and made workable by adding another perk slot to each class and re-balancing the weapon pools. Within the weapon pools I'm mostly concerned about the "handling" stat for the different weapons in multiplayer. If it's just a measure of the weapon's head or hilt heaviness that's fine, but it seems that it heavily influences the swing animations leading to much better performance from 80 handling+. Right now there are so many "upgrade" weapons with drastically lower handling than the base weapons. A clear example is the Aserai Guard: the base Tabar weapon has 85 handling, but the upgraded bardiche is at 74. Most players are going to opt for the upgraded weapons without realizing how much of an impact the animation makes. And then there are entire weapon classes like polearms that have handling stats down in the 40-70s and feel sluggish across the board. I think the game would be more approachable for new players and have more variety for experienced players if all the weapons in multiplayer had standardized handling stats.
you do realise that with stats archer, cav etc. was nerfed so infantry could win vs them (even in warband)

Agreed. I like what Taleworlds have done and will continue to support them, I just think some points could use a hard look. The class system makes sense for balancing something like captain mode or the more competitive oriented mode of skirmish. However, I don't think forcing these classes then into the other gamemodes like TDM/siege is a good choice. It kinda sucks to limit the options of weapons and armor like that; just feels odd.

Agreed, I'm not really sure they fully understand what made Warband MP players enjoy it at all. Very concerned and worried about the future of Bannerlord MP.

Not sure if someone else mentioned it OP, but I remember devs confirming way back that we would have Battle mode in final game. I agree about class system. I felt the limiting nature of it today; I wanted, as a Vlandian Sergeant, to keep normal maille armour and a sword, but you have to choose between mace/axe and better armour (which ain't as attractive to my eyes). Then, as Vouglier, you can take two hander, but still have a one handed sword and throwing weapons- I would rather just have the two hander, maybe with javelins, to save weapon swapping speed. Not much use having a one handed sword without a shield when you are already carrying the two hander!

I agree with this post!
Classes suck, bring back customization
The combat is sluggish feeling.. especially swing/attack release feels delayed and slower then WARBAND
NEED our banners back! Its hard to keep track of my party even with hitting alt!
More custom servers

I just came off of multiplayer. I wanted to be that annoying rat with 40 javelins, but could not select more than one set.

I am shocked by the lack of battle and duel. It took me a while to realize they were gone. What the actual ****. Why? Battles were the core gamemode alongside sieges.

I can't have Bannerlord without special events with 200+ people and one life gamemodes. It is heresy. This should be simple to add.

While besides this I absolutely love everything bannerlord IS, I have to agree so much with what a step down removing the part of MP that allowed you to gear up for money. Here are the reasons why:

- All classes can be obtained with the very minimum of effort, making better ones feel less rewarding. Warband used to have armors "locked out" and available only to those very best who succeeded. Sporting those armors would make you feel rewarded, special, and stronger. It rewarded doing well and created the dynamic of essentially having a new class tier/gameplay style for those who could afford better weapons and armor. It would further be rewarding psychologically, because you sported an armor someone who hasn't performed so well didn't, and you could feel special and cool because of it.

- The gear system added variety was a HUGE factor for replayability. You could mix and match tons of armors and weapons, and if one combination got a little old, you let it rest for a while and experimented with something else. There were always weird weapons like maces, hammers, weird voulges and sickles that played differently and were unpopular. Playing with any one of these added a fresh experience. Let us not forget a very important factor, being that everyone looked unique. Everyone had their own preferred style, combination and kit, and you could always run into people who had something new. It almost felt like a little contained MMORPG in that sense. Yes, the nakeds were a problem, but this could easily be avoided by simply enforcing minimum armor. People could also choose not to have a helmet, so that their unique or freakish face would stand out. Its how legends were made and known.

- All of this added novelty and longevity, as well as a contained sense of progression. You could always measure your progress in money, and then buy whatever you want within a class. That made the system unique and what's more, it made it more balanced. A counter could always be picked for anything.

But what this ultimately achieves is people retaining interest for a much longer time, because there is always something new to try and see. Much less so with the current system we have.

Please TaleWorlds, this is what set you apart from generic class based multiplayer games. Do not forsake your roots.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Very well said.

Back
Top Bottom