"The Lowlands", Swadian-themed RP map!

Users who are viewing this thread

Why is faction warfare not roleplay? They are far from the 'opposite ends of the spectrum', everyone hails v3's golden age of roleplay that consisted entirely of faction warfare.

Faction warfare tends to simply end with people KoSing eachother, similar to Team Deathmatch, with a little bit of organisation. I'm not sayign it's not roleplay, but a server where people does nothing other than fight all the time cannout concieve the roleplay that most roleplayers strive for. The peaceful roleplay, where you can talk to someone without it ending with one side dieing.

Troubles said:
Chocolate Donut said:
Armories are almost always empty and it´s unrealistic and annoying  :roll:
That's your kingdom's faction's problem.
Chocolate Donut said:
because there is no resources or whatever.
This can't be true, how did the players make money then?

well if when a new faction took the hq it reset the stocks that would be the case, but if a faction takes all the weapons then quits the server your left kinda screwed when you take over :razz: thats a 30minute period of making weapons just to catch up to the other factions on the map

Eragon91 said:
Faction warfare tends to simply end with people KoSing eachother, similar to Team Deathmatch, with a little bit of organisation. I'm not sayign it's not roleplay, but a server where people does nothing other than fight all the time cannout concieve the roleplay that most roleplayers strive for. The peaceful roleplay, where you can talk to someone without it ending with one side dieing.

^this, faction warfare is uncommon because it involves stopping a fight to say discuss terms etc most faction warfare involves 2 sides fighting till 1 has no castle anymore, its more a team deathmatch then roleplaying unless they have some sort of communication between the groups

I have found that whenever i ask players what would enhance roleplay, they often respond with things that would enhance theirs, and only theirs, roleplay. I need things that will affect the whole population on the map, not just "add that item"
Well its not easy from a player's perspective to see more then what the world lacks in for you personal.

thats a 30minute period of making weapons just to catch up to the other factions on the map
Someone doesn't know how much time an effetive war machinery eats.

I did a week ago with i think 6 people, we stocked everything up to 30+ in Praven every day in the morning (takes 2-3 hours depending on how fast and how many people work). It was always gone before the crash if this occured during the night.

Phoenix234 said:
Troubles said:
Chocolate Donut said:
Armories are almost always empty and it´s unrealistic and annoying  :roll:
That's your kingdom's faction's problem.
Chocolate Donut said:
because there is no resources or whatever.
This can't be true, how did the players make money then?

well if when a new faction took the hq it reset the stocks that would be the case, but if a faction takes all the weapons then quits the server your left kinda screwed when you take over :razz: thats a 30minute period of making weapons just to catch up to the other factions on the map
That's true.
But in my opinion that's quite logical (I mean, people shouldn't complain if that happens). One for example shouldn't expect that creating a faction among other big, and settled factions would be an easy job. However, there are ways to catch up in less that 30 minutes... for example: yesterday I was the lord of Lazloburg, and eventhough we were the largest faction, we were outnumbered because of our many allied enemies. Because of their non-stop raids, I had to deal with people from other factions, pay them a sum of money, and request that they buy some already-made equipment (mainly bread and wood, but I managed to get some weapons, although they were not as much as I desired) from other castles and deliver them to me.

What was your main income source in Laszloburg, Chest, Manual taxes or loot? (for you as Lord personally, I assume you had some money to spare when you imported weaponry)

Eragon91 said:
Both correct and uncorrect. Faction wars are usually like a team-deathmatch because you are fighting with your enemies all the time and can join the battle again after you died. Yet, there are other creative ways of managing a war, such as capturing strategical positions. To give example:
My faction was at war with another faction. They were defending the Lazloburg and mine was theirs. So after I asked permission from my lord to tax the mine. Therefore we have seized one of their assets and it did not involved much of a fighting non-considering the chaos of siege and a serf who tried to run away rather than pay tax.

Knüppel said:
What was your main income source in Laszloburg, Chest, Manual taxes or loot? (for you as Lord personally, I assume you had some money to spare when you imported weaponry)
Loads of money. If I hadn't been robbed 3 times (it's hard to guard your keep when you're surrounded by enemies who control the forest, have engineers, and outlaws with lockpicks...), I'd have more than 200k in chest. I ended up with 80k I think, before I crashed...

My economic plan was rather simple this time, we keep inside our keep (literary, we kept inside for I think 5 hours, aside from a few sneaky missions in which our enemies were not aware of), we wait until the enemies reach the river, and then we use our superior crossbow advantage to finish them off. After that, the soldiers would loot the weapons (mainly two-handed swords), sell them, buy armor, which leads to me having money in my chest. There were also other short trade agreements with a few commoners here and there, but they were hard to keep because it was difficult to open the doors and let them in/out.

The plan succeeded due to the following:
1- Money simply generates when you sell to the stockpile (for example, when you sell great swords, money comes out of nowhere).
2- Due to our position near the mine, we had loads of iron ores. Although we couldn't serf when the war started (which as I said, lasted for hours), the already-there-iron was enough to keep my 3 engineers busy.
3- Small trade agreements that supplied us with some wood, to make some crossbows.

Edit: fixing few spelling mistakes.

I *really* want an oven in the tavern for obvious purposes. It enables me to store 5 bread as 1 flour bag. Maybe also a wine cellar with a metal door to store stuff better (openable by Civ Guild/Old Port), if it's available.

Are the chests in the houses of the oasis' village lockable? It would be great if I could save breads or wheat there.

No. I can only lock them to a certain faction. If the farmers want to be able to access them, so will everyone else. But few actually look in there, so it's pretty safe.

Buy a box in Old Port, Place it in your faction-locked chest room (if you have any). Weapons dont fit in, but armor does.
The best part: Get serf before you log, grab all armor, hide your box somewhere.

Eragon would it be possible to get a large council room added to your map? basically as far as i can think we dont have anything big enough or themed for such an event.

Im hoping to have a high nobles council sometime this week :razz: we just need somewhere to run it on the HC server, any suggestions?

You will not be using the map on the HCRP server anyways, so it's kindof a waste of time to make all that just for a single event. Oasis could server hat purpose in it's current state.

Eragon91 said:
You will not be using the map on the HCRP server anyways, so it's kindof a waste of time to make all that just for a single event. Oasis could server hat purpose in it's current state.

I completely forgotabout oasis! thanks :grin:

Phoenix234 said:
Eragon would it be possible to get a large council room added to your map? basically as far as i can think we dont have anything big enough or themed for such an event.

Im hoping to have a high nobles council sometime this week :razz: we just need somewhere to run it on the HC server, any suggestions?
HAVE! YOU! EVEN! PLAYED! ON! THE! MAP!

Vornnestone has a (rearry) big hall with like 3 etages of balconies, it would be even better then Oasis for a big council.
Besides that, Oasis is ofcourse totally fine (we had a testrun yesterday, nice feast with 25-30 people), and in Praven and Laszloburg you can still push everyone in the Lords eating room, maybe not at the table itself, but at least so one can hear and shout to the debate.

Besides that the Kingswood near Praven offers the option to go for a relaxing hunt after dinner, at the harbor there are always boats ready to sail a little in the summer wind and listen to the seagulls, each castle offers more then enough places to retreat to a little privacy for whatever purpose, not to mention the possibilities that await noble guests and their entourage in the Oasis.

I have to agree that the map is funner than I anticipated and offers some good rp but its just not diverse enough for the number of factions who want to participate in the new server, great little vacationing spot for the lords and ladies but not the greatest map for large faction rp.

Back
Top Bottom