"The Lowlands", Swadian-themed RP map!

Users who are viewing this thread

Eragon91

Banned
The Lowlands

28k0g79.jpg

Pastor_Fritzl of EU_PW hereby gives the players of PWmod an early Christmas Present:

The Lowlands, a new Swadian themed, roleplay focused, map for Persistant World

154.jpg

Basic Concept:

Welcome. You have entered the region of The Lowlands. You begin as a traveller, but will soon make a name for yourself.

The Lowlands is a single-themed map which focuses on the Swadian Lowland. By single themed, i mean that every castle and every armory is solely built upon the weapons available to the Swadians. The landscape have been edited to represent the wineyards of Spain or Italy. The map features 3 castles, 2 Military Camps, One Town with Town Watch, One Village and One Estate.

Due to the high amount of Honor that the Swadians put into their warfare and heraldry, non-heraldic armors is a rarity.
All the interiors in the scene are places above ground. This means that ranged weapons can be used in all locations.

Economy and Key Features:

The Lowlands have a Trade-based economy which features Strength's and Weaknesses for each location in the Map.

There are 3 full castles who all have their Pros and Cons

1: Praven Castle in the town have no access to workers and serf and must instead purchase their goods and materials from the town. Praven do however collect taxes from every legal transaction who takes place in the city and find it in their best of interest to keep the population content. If the population flees the city due to tyranny, so will also the income.

Key Source of Income: Income-Tax, Trade.

Drawbacks: Deeply dependant on the happiness of the population.

Medium Tier armory. Strong Footmen to keep the order in town. No cavalry.

23vgg9z.jpg

2: Lazloburg Castle close to the Mine, Jousting Field and Forest, features an immensely strong economy due to it's strategic placement close to all natural resources. A consequence of this however is that the price, and thus the tax income, of all raw materials are greatly reduced.

Laszloburg have in it's best of interest to protect the workers in the mine and forest from marauders and competing factions, and may in return demand money from the workers there to compensate for otherwise the low tax income.

The nearby placement of the Jousting fields is also a lucrative opportunity to recruit new members, for the shrewd Lord.

Key Source of Income: Active taxing of Miners and Lumberjacks.

Drawbacks: Low prices on materials lead to little passive tax-income.

Medium-high tier Armory. Support Medium-Heavy Infantry and Light Cavalry.

157.jpg

Vornneston Castle is on the Border of the valley, close to the water. Vornneston is by far the most militarily focused location with their Heavy Cavalry and Heavy Infantry. The castle is protected by Double Walls and is only accessible from one way in the valley, or by sea. The large field in front of the castle prevents sneak attacks and gives the defenders of Vornneston a long time to prepare.

Vornnestons most prominent drawback is it's lack of nearby natural resources. Due to the areas high military activity, the demand for these materials are also high, which raises the price even further. It is in Vornnestons best of interest to protect, and befriend, merchants on their way to the castle.

Vornneston also makes a considerable amount of it's profits from pure warfare and looting.

Main Source of Income: Warfare, Raiding and the scarce traders caravans who ventures to the castles at the lure of high profits.

Drawbacks: Due to its location, raw materials are hard to come by in Vornneston. Thus, if the lord is not careful, the armory will deplete with immense speed.

Top-Tier Armory: Vornneston features the greatest military strength in the area. Vornneston soldiers have access to Heavy Infantry and Heavy Cavalry, featuring Great Swords and Great Lances.

161.jpg

201.jpg

Other Important Areas:

The Estate:

The Estate is a location knows for its unusual architecture. The Area itself is consists mostly of A Park and a Grand Hall. The military and economic prowness of this location is next to non-existant. The Estate is a popular destination for lovers and lords alike, seeking to get shelter from the violent world which surrounds them.

Due to it's peaceful nature, The Estate is rarely subject to any military presence.

159.jpg
160.jpg

The Village

The Village is a Neutral location, located west of Praven, where it overlooks the valley and sea. The village itself is highly important to the valley, since it is the main source of food for the whole valley. This can, if managed properly, be a great source of income to either the villagers, or the lord who decides to seize and utilize the area.

9085j7.jpg

Praven:
Praven is the beating heart of the valley. It is the central hub of all trading and features the Traders Guild, an organization who trades with exotic weapons, however at a great expense for the customer.
Pravens town watch have the tasks of making sure that the inhabitants stay out of trouble and they tend to work together with the ruling faction to achieve this.

Overlooking the town is Praven Castle, who stands as both a symbol of security, and at times, terror.

Apart from this, the town features Multiple taverns and residents, a Clothing shop, a Mercenary quarter, a Stablemaster and a Church, who is a popular location for ceremonies.

155.jpg
156.jpg

The Military Camps:

The Lowlands features two Military camps, who serve as incubators for powerhungry and ambitious factions. The camps themselves features strictly limited armories and is not a lucrative location under any circumstance. The factions who have been forced to emanate from these camps will have to rely on strategy and cunning in order to seize control of the castles.

The main objective of the factions who resides in the military camps is to, through warfare or diplomacy, gain control of one of the nearby castles, and thus the ability to grow even stronger.

The Camps themselves features a customizable defense which the owner, if he so desires, can construct to greatly enhance the defensive prowess of the camp.

200.jpg

199.jpg

162.jpg

Map

14y27wo.jpg

Screenshots:

158.jpg

Economy Guide:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,209769.msg5031975.html#msg5031975

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?la1v15yubgompb2

Code:
scn_scene_6 scene_6 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x000000033000d1d3000c0b0000002ccb000052b20000195d 
 sea_outer_terrain_1

This map is not to be edited without my consent. Only the version linked here is open to the public. All newer versions is to be requested personally of me.

I just craped bricks :shock:

can we get this on the new server?!! :mrgreen:

I am also wondering, I had the idea for one culture maps here a while back, and I am so glad somebody did it, by any chance did you read my thread?

this looks like the best map since VoS!

First I was YAY Praven Castle, then I was uuuuuuhhh.... Praven, TW and traders guild.

Map over all Looks not bad, but I personally would not favour a(nother) single Swadian themed map to play on (Hell, then I have to make vacation in Swadia when Swadia pisses me off :lol: ). I like the concept with ressources not being available in every castle. Be sure that you need iron then and the start weapon stock isnt set to 50+ everywhere.
Oh, and remove objects like catapults and add more food

What I like:
-single themed map. i don't like swadia, but it's way better than mix of everything. (most players used swadia anyway)
-more emphasis on trading, rather than usual boring mining all the time. I hope you tried to encourage other professions by increasing reward for them (or simply by reducing ore price - works best because it makes engineer work more profitable)
-from screenies it looks like really polished scene, but we'll see in game.
What I dislike:
-castles are IMO too big for being so close to each other. With so small distance and nothing to beak line of sight I'd make all but Praven Castle something like "single keep, eventually with small courtyard". And it's both because of immersion and gameplay.
-I'd never use so much resources (especially space) for "safe heaven". For non-faction related feasts tavern is enough, and if faction are involved they can use their own castle halls.
-work a bit at textures - nearly vertical mountain slopes with grass looks kind of wrong. Coast could use some work too.  Tip: large brush, 0 hardness, 50 weight
-is the mine behind Laszloburg castle the only one? If yes, it can easily lead to breaking economy of all other castles, if lord decide not to trade. Placing mines close to single castle ain't bad, if it's somehow possible to steal iron from there.
-I don't like concept of neutral TW and town , but it's larger topic. Well - your town is half-neutral, as taxes goes to castle, but a: town watch have power to close/open gates, lock weapon shops ect. and b: you get town taxes by besieging castle, rather than by capturing town itself.

Overall - looks promising

CalenLoki said:
What I like:
-single themed map. i don't like swadia, but it's way better than mix of everything. (most players used swadia anyway)
-more emphasis on trading, rather than usual boring mining all the time. I hope you tried to encourage other professions by increasing reward for them (or simply by reducing ore price - works best because it makes engineer work more profitable)
What I dislike:
-castles are IMO too big for being so close to each other. With so small distance and nothing to beak line of sight I'd make all but Praven Castle something like "single keep, eventually with small courtyard". And it's both because of immersion and gameplay.
-I'd never use so much resources (especially space) for "safe heaven". For non-faction related feasts tavern is enough, and if faction are involved they can use their own castle halls.
-work a bit at textures - nearly vertical mountain slopes with grass looks kind of wrong. Coast could use some work too.  Tip: large brush, 0 hardness, 50 weight
-is the mine behind Laszloburg castle the only one? If yes, it can easily lead to breaking economy of all other castles, if lord decide not to trade. Placing mines close to single castle ain't bad, if it's somehow possible to steal iron from there.
-I don't like concept of neutral TW and town , but it's larger topic. Well - your town is half-neutral, as taxes goes to castle, but a: town watch have power to close/open gates, lock weapon shops ect. and b: you get town taxes by besieging castle, rather than by capturing town itself.

Ha I knew someone else would do the thinking for me (besides the technical stuff, I have no clue of that, keep that for yourself)

Knüppel said:
I like the concept with ressources not being available in every castle. Be sure that you need iron then and the start weapon stock isnt set to 50+ everywhere.

The armory stocks are set based on tier. Vornneston have acccess to higher tier, but not the highest, at start. Lazloburg only have access to Medium Tier weapons in the beginning, and in a very restricted quantity, same goes for Praven Castle. The Camps pretty much only have light shields and short-swords at first.

The Traders guild is completely Empty.

Note that there are 9 factions in this game, of which 5-6 are militarily focused. I still have room for a 10th faction if you would come with a good suggestion. For now, the Traders guild is kindof like the Civilian Guild. The Estate is the other "peaceful" location, but will ofcourse not be protected.

The Town Watch is a demand in order for my map to be hosted on EU_PW, but know that they only have a small house and a tiny courtyard with walls so low you can almost jump over them. Their armory is also striclty limited to 2 set of armors and maybe 3 sets of weapons with heavy shields. No more opressive castle etc. The TW pais tax to Praven Castle aswell. They are not a full-blooded faction.

The TW, together with all the other locations in this scene is ofcourse capturable. This will not change.

CalenLoki said:
What I like:
What I dislike:

I really like the Swadian Landscape. I put a lot of emphazis on the good looks of my maps, and i find that not much is as beautiful as european Vineyards.

Engineers will be high-demand due to the fact that many of the weapon stocks in the game start out empty. Doctors will be doctors. I also tried to combine Craftsman and Engineer, Healer and Doctor in a balancing manner. Praven Castle only have acces to Craftsmen, to support the recruiting from the town.

The castles are quite small actually which was an important feature when i thought up on the map. When i first made them, i had to remake them a dozen tiems because i wasn't happy with the layout. The courtyards are right now as crammed as they can be with a sense of realism, which might not be visible from the screenshots. Also, since there are only 2-3 castles in the game, i expect them to have a majority of the combat forces, thus balance out the size.

Perhaps, However the feast haven is supposed to be a small resort for roleplayers. It have no natural resources or military power, and is thus unlikely to come under attack. It is an important location for the peaceful roleplayers.

The textures on the mountains are not fully completed yet and will be finished before i upload the map.

There are 2ish mines (one hidden). The main mine is indeed the one behind Lazlo. ITs placement is to promote the trading between commoners in Praven and Vornneston. If Lazlo were to block of the mine, the other factions would doubtlessly go to war over it.

As stated, i have to have the TW for the EU_PW server. However, the TW HQ is just a very small building with a safe spot. Currently, all the control of the town is in the hands of whoever controls Praven Castle. The TW is only supposed to do their job: Stop petty squabbles. They have no power over anythign else.

Me and Eragon did a test run on the map and I must say that it is completely amazing . So amazing that I am wordless .

Note

1: The Commoner Spawns (And thus non-property factions aswell) are placed quite far from everything. This will both server to increase the roleplay value of NLR, as well as prevent never-ending battles.

2: All the larger doors in the scene have been streamlined to allow for faster passage. Up to 2 people can now enter through the larger gates simultaneously.

Verator said:
Great! Really fcking great map!

Btw, where will be merc camp? :grin:

No merc camp. A small house in the town will house all the banners, merc training, and the few commoner training classes, as well as a few basic weapons and armors.

Splintert said:
The only thing I'm not utterly excited about is
"only Swadian weapons"
and
"rare non-heraldic armour".

Other than that......... :eek:

Non-Heraldic armors and "exotic" wepons can, as said, be purchased from the Traders Guild. You better be prepared to pay well for it though. The traders guild are the only ones with access to the armory. The base prices of everything in there is 200%, and the guild themselves can, if they so wish, force you to pay 500% of the price before you are allowed to enter.

Wow, this whole thing looks amazing! I especially like the Estate, I think its seclusion will be a cause for great popularity.

Verator said:
So, another question. Do u know when will be this map on EU server?

Not really, no. It depends if the players and admins WANT the map ofcourse. Just because i'm an admin doesn't give my maps free passage into the server. ITtshould go through the same tryouts as all other maps.

My hopes hoever is that this could be the Merger map.

Eragon91 said:
Verator said:
So, another question. Do u know when will be this map on EU server?

Not really, no. It depends if the players and admins WANT the map ofcourse. Just because i'm an admin doesn't give my maps free passage into the server. ITtshould go through the same tryouts as all other maps.

My hopes hoever is that this could be the Merger map.

Well I'd vote a big fat yes on this map. :3

Back
Top Bottom