The lore of this game is just useless flavor text unless you do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Goyyyio

Sergeant
So the empire is divided into 3. Does it change something in the troops, having one leaded by a military commander would make them have better troops or more experienced ones?
Having an empire leaded by senator have a better economy with the sacrifice of not so well defended castles?
Having an empire near Aserai territory would have them share some of their equipment, horses and ethnicity, because this zone was conquered once?
Would anything that's been written into the game have an actual consequence into the game?
Playing a different a faction and then another changes the gameplay at all? Or just what troops and colours you use in a battle? Does being a battanian means your walls aren't well fortified (they literally live in destroyed castles and ruins) does being a battanian, a faction that the lore says it doesn't have the same concept of lordship, is anything you write even important to you guys? When you've studied game design didn't someone told you what you say and what you put into the game is important to maintain a correlation??? The consequence of not caring about your own written lore is that you get the player excited because when you read about a faction you get the glimpse that it might be exciting to play with them, but instead everything it's the same, and the world map and everything that isn't battle is just boring, boring and bland and there's nothing to care about in this game. 2 years saying this, 2 years of devs ignoring this issue lmfao, no wonder even redditors are saying this game doesn't have a soul, that's because writing is the soul of any game and Taleworlds doesn't give a ****e about what they've wrote and would rather focus on a console port and closing warband servers lmfaooo goodbye

I have been complaining about the lore for almost 2 years (TW never addressed that). Its not just useless it makes no sense in any way shape or form.
You missed something important the reason for the empire civil war. Ira is a woman not a man! (OH MY GOD we can't have that on the throne can we?) Gameplay wise Man and Woman are equal pretty regularly you will see a woman becoming the leader of a kingdom without consequence (and the thing that really pisses me off Ira gets married to another faction LIKE WTF)
You see they did nothing about the plot that started everything in the game do you really believe that they will go do anything at all?

I have given up, the game is as dull as it has ever been there is no flavor no lore nothing to do in it. I just hope that in 2-3 years there are going to be some mods that make this game less boring to play.

I have been complaining about the lore for almost 2 years (TW never addressed that). Its not just useless it makes no sense in any way shape or form.
You missed something important the reason for the empire civil war. Ira is a woman not a man! (OH MY GOD we can't have that on the throne can we?) Gameplay wise Man and Woman are equal pretty regularly you will see a woman becoming the leader of a kingdom without consequence (and the thing that really pisses me off Ira gets married to another faction LIKE WTF)
You see they did nothing about the plot that started everything in the game do you really believe that they will go do anything at all?

I have given up, the game is as dull as it has ever been there is no flavor no lore nothing to do in it. I just hope that in 2-3 years there are going to be some mods that make this game less boring to play.
I think they just laid off their writer(s) and music composers in 2019 or something. The only ones left giving us any lore is artists doing assets here and there.

Good thing we got all those dev blogs reciting a generic backstory for each faction, sheep textures, and camels, only to see it just not make any difference in game except for the way people dress. Other things are just not present in game, status of women, how adulthood is celebrated, how children are raised, how the inner workings could be different for a kingdom, empire, or republic.
Just mana the heck out of the game with influence.

I feel like each faction should have their own unique policies they can enact. I know some mods do this already like the Northern Empire should have elections like the Roman Republic or something every few years. Each Empire faction should play a different gameplay element.

Would be awesome to have unique policies, marriage outcomes, inheritance, more lore flavor, troop trees, and succession/voting mechanisms but I suppose that fell to the back-burner given all of the reworks and refactors to other core logic (and in-house porting of consoles) took the time for.

Guess it'll be mods then

Having celts fighting mongols, fighting normans, fighting romans, fighting vikings is so ****ing dumb tbh. Warband historical inspiration was more close together in terms of the time frame and much more immersing. Also very lazy to just copy-paste three factions and change their colors. Would have been so much cooler to have the three empires take stuff from their neighboring factions: Southern with aserai mixed culture, northern with sturgia etc.
Also am I the only one who find it dumb that there is only one faction for each culture (besides the empire), meaning you can't fight within the same kingdom etc.

The 'lore', like so many things in Bannerlord, seems just like an afterthought.

A pale and fading afterthought. No serious depth or real 'meat' to it.

Would be awesome to have unique policies, marriage outcomes, inheritance, more lore flavor, troop trees, and succession/voting mechanisms but I suppose that fell to the back-burner given all of the reworks and refactors to other core logic (and in-house porting of consoles) took the time for.

Guess it'll be mods then

You mean those policies, some of which still don't work and the game is coming out in a few days? A game that has been in development for a decade and people seem grateful that they will be adding 'new features' like crime and weather to the game, features that they stated were in the game during development.

Imagine releasing the game finished, and not playing it off as something we should be grateful for their continued support of the game through patches.

I would much rather they didn't touch the game after release and let modders do the rest, rather than continuing to break the game every patch and expect the players to do their QA for them for free.

Writing lore is a lost cause in a game like this.

The devs could write 1000 new lines of lore and dump it in the game. Then a month later this thread will be repeated. Why? Because people like us who play this game for hundreds of hours will always run into the limits of the current lore.

As usual in games like this the real good lore is the one you make up yourself and determine yourself.

Having celts fighting mongols, fighting normans, fighting romans, fighting vikings is so ****ing dumb tbh. Warband historical inspiration was more close together in terms of the time frame and much more immersing. Also very lazy to just copy-paste three factions and change their colors. Would have been so much cooler to have the three empires take stuff from their neighboring factions: Southern with aserai mixed culture, northern with sturgia etc.
Also am I the only one who find it dumb that there is only one faction for each culture (besides the empire), meaning you can't fight within the same kingdom etc.
The Empire is based on the byzantine empire not the Romans- and they both fought with and against Nordic vikings.

And the Norman's had a long war against the byzantine empire... go look up the 'Byzantine-Norman War'.

The Empire is based on the byzantine empire not the Romans- and they both fought with and against Nordic vikings.

And the Norman's had a long war against the byzantine empire... go look up the 'Byzantine-Norman War'.
The empire is a bad mix between byzantine and romans. They should have gone full byzantine, not a weird mix.

For me it's the fact that the lore in too many cases, if not most, doesn't match up with what actually happens in the game.

Northern Empire should have two consuls and elections every year and a functioning senate that would be so cool. I really hope modders can flesh the factions out with unique mechanics. A cool one off the top of my head are tournament elections. Every lord gets together in a tournament, the winner gets elected king and then a big feast happens after. Just spitballing.

Last edited:
It’s a fake fantasy Byzantine empire that has a lot of classical elements still. For example, up until Arenicos the Empire still used legions but switched over to lordly levies. Emperors traditionally wore laurel crowns, including Arenicos (and the northern empire still uses a laurel crown). And the fact that the Senate still consists of members of the ancient aristocracy (again, especially in the North) is more like the 1st to 6th century Roman Empire than the 11th century Byzantine Empire.

The Byzantine Empire has a Senate too, except the aristocracy was newer in the eastern empire and formed out of the bureaucracy and was largely disempowered by Justinian.

This transition would be fun to explore. While the Calradic Empire is currently Byzantine, it looks like many of the changes happened under Arenicos rather than gradually. It would be fun if the northern empire tried to maintain the republican roots (sort of like the Western Senate did after the fall of the Western Empire) while the southern empire emphasized the monarchic aspects (which started in late antiquity and continued until the end of the Byzantine period).

We get the barest hints of it in the crowns each empire uses. The northern empire uses a laurel wreath as the civil crown and a jeweled late Roman helmet as the battle crown. The western and southern empires use more overtly monarchic Byzantine crowns, and the sourthern battle crown is straight up modeled on St Stephen’s crown of Hungary, which is Byzantine in origin.

It’s a good start, but we need more than just different hats. I wish we saw the differences between the empires in character interactions (more than just a couple scattered lines) and how each empire played and what their goals are.

Last edited:
See this is where policies should have made a big impact, but its the most forgotten part by TW and right now its a just a random selection based on personality traits. Hopefully one day we get a big revamp into policies that have cultures actually have a preference towards one or another and have kingdoms make changes based on their current situation.

I feel like every thread descents into one person trying to out history-buff another. We should set up a history section for these people to argue which fake faction from a video game - with barely any lore and who share almost Identical armour sets - is based loosely on which real historical civilisation which may have spanned over 1000+ years and who's armours and policies have changed drastically within those years.

C'mon guys, yous sound the opposite of what you think you sound like. Were here to moan about certain parts of the game enough so that TW may listen, not listen to something you just ripped from Wikipedia and divert the thread (again) into a history D-swinging competition. You're all correct and very intelligent, congratulations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom