The Latest Major Patch Announcements - TaleWorlds Communication

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
A plea to Taleworlds ,

As I woke up this morning, I watched the latest Development Diary and I was really pleasantly surprised. But should it have been such a surprise?

No, it shouldn't.

I had no idea at all that the battlefield terrain system was even close to completion... none of us did. None of us had a clue it might be introduced in the next major patch.
Similarly, I have been longing for some new scenes (Towns and castles for MONTHS) and I had no idea that some were close to being ready....

Can I suggest that the community really should have been informed that such things are coming soon? (Further in advance of their introduction to the game)

Why?... Well... if the community had known that these features were close to being put into the game.... then the whole community would not have been so negative over the last weeks.

People would have been much more patient.

I want to be positive about the game.... but that's quite hard when major features are only announced as ready for release shortly before they actually drop into the game.

It's simple really:

Better communication = a mostly happy and more patient community.

Last edited:
Maybe they don't know if it is working. And when they start a hype about it and then abdone the feature, this would be bad for the studio. I think its better when they don't say us everything, on which they work.

Maybe they don't know if it is working. And when they start a hype about it and then abdone the feature, this would be bad for the studio. I think its better when they don't say us everything, on which they work.
yeah, they know it better than anyone as they had done this.

I have no problems not knowing everything that is in the works, i really liked the fact than nobody knew this feature existed, was a pleasant suprise :grin:

I think a more regular flow of information is better.

People don't mind so much if things need to be postponed or changed... as long as they know about why.
It's well known that almost all communities like to be 'kept in the loop'.

What people really hate is periods with only crumbs of development information and the feeling that game development is just drifting along. (Like we have had recently).

Last edited:
I just feels it's a bit a shame they make these good looking city and castle scenes but there's no reason to walk around in them most of the time :/

was even close to completion
You are either naive or not following the TW's work lately, if you really think that it's close to completion.
major features
Adding more castles/town scenes isn't a major feature. Even the battle system isn't a major feature - it's more like a fix to current clusterfun. We suggested this since from the beginning. It wouldn't be necessary to download GB's of map data if they went with procedurally generated maps ( or even better, location-based seeded maps which will give you exactly same terrain but you won't need to download huge bulky maps ) but it appears that some lazy game designer in TW didn't think it through and we ended up with this weird random unpredictable maps. At least node based system is a step up. But compared to Warband, it's still a step back.

I'm 99% confident that it will be a super lame feature when they release it. Later they will fix it somehow but based on how they divided the regions - I'm highly sceptical about that.
Hate to say but I'm hoping that a modder will come forward and properly divide those regions based on walkable areas on Vesper's map and organize bunch of talented map makers to extend this in the future so that it would make sense to have this.

You are either naive or not following the TW's work lately, if you really think that it's close to completion.

Adding more castles/town scenes isn't a major feature. Even the battle system isn't a major feature - it's more like a fix to current clusterfun. We suggested this since from the beginning. It wouldn't be necessary to download GB's of map data if they went with procedurally generated maps ( or even better, location-based seeded maps which will give you exactly same terrain but you won't need to download huge bulky maps ) but it appears that some lazy game designer in TW didn't think it through and we ended up with this weird random unpredictable maps. At least node based system is a step up. But compared to Warband, it's still a step back.

I'm 99% confident that it will be a super lame feature when they release it. Later they will fix it somehow but based on how they divided the regions - I'm highly sceptical about that.
Hate to say but I'm hoping that a modder will come forward and properly divide those regions based on walkable areas on Vesper's map and organize bunch of talented map makers to extend this in the future so that it would make sense to
Ok, yes. I should have said "close to initial release"... not ... "close to completion "

I do follow the game's development pretty closely...

Nevertheless, you immediately insulting me and suggesting that I'm naive because of that ... well, that says a whole lot more about you than it does about me.

Anyway, the fact is you really couldn't be more wrong about the importance of new scenes.

New castles and new city scenes are utterly essential to make sure that Bannerlord is more than just a map-based game with some field battles. So yes, they are a very major and important feature. Their functionality and how much they add to gameplay and overall immersion is now the real challenge for Taleworlds to tackle. But if done well and done right... they can transform the game.

I'm quite sceptical about game developers in general...but your attitude here seems to be much more than sceptical. You probably think youre just being a realist ... but actually, you show a kind of sad anger and disdain in your post that seems pretty toxic.

It's the kind of thinking and mindset we could all do without on these forums.

Last edited:
I actually prefer this way of annoucing big changes. If the inital news is posted on a thread that 50 pepole are gonna see there's gonna be misinformation, rumors and confusion. Annoucing it this way rids threads of pointless questions and breathes some enthusiasm into the forums.

Agreed and this is the main problem with the feature.
If I understand the video correctly, they divided the world in about 70 or something regions and are planning to create a special battle map for each of them. While the idea is nice, it requires huge effort and they are probably just in a prototype phase with one or few maps ready.
I assume these maps are handmade and not automagically generated from the world map, because that would be bad.

The real question here is when are they going to be finished with the maps. 2022? Who knows, but there's no reason for optimism. Do they know? Will they tell us?
If my assumptions are correct, this is a strange move by Taleworlds as it pushes their release date quite a bit.

If I understand the video correctly, they divided the world in about 70 or something regions and are planning to create a special battle map for each of them. While the idea is nice, it requires huge effort and they are probably just in a prototype phase with one or few maps ready.
I assume these maps are handmade and not automagically generated from the world map, because that would be bad.

The real question here is when are they going to be finished with the maps. 2022? Who knows, but there's no reason for optimism. Do they know? Will they tell us?
If my assumptions are correct, this is a strange move by Taleworlds as it pushes their release date quite a bit.
It's better that they try .... I mean what's the alternative? Just release a bland, empty and incomplete game with the hope that the modders save it for them?

Yes, the long waits are definitely a pain, sure .... but I dont mind too much if it means they get feaures right.

Last edited:
@stevepine I would not say that Bloc has insulted you, but rather that "naive" has been more of an appellative as a stylistic figure of his rhetoric... or so I have understood it ?.

Terrain has been mentioned as a WIP for awhile, though I didn't know the particulars. I think assuming it's actually coming very soon is too optimistic.
I hope it does something for auto calc too. I'm excited for sandbox mode but also weary of if char creation get even worse.

Terrain has been mentioned as a WIP for awhile, though I didn't know the particulars. I think assuming it's actually coming very soon is too optimistic.
I hope it does something for auto calc too. I'm excited for sandbox mode but also weary of if char creation get even worse.
Yeah, we didn't know it was almost ready to ' go live' and have a first version drop into the game, did we? That was a surprise to us all.

Seemed like everyone was just waiting in silent desperation and frustration until this.

Last edited:
Savage as ever, man! But great to see you still around.

I think we can expect a situation like Rebellion.

I agreed it seems like a strange move at this point. That is however if they have a alternative reality thus taking things very differently. But if so why not share it with us? Not even in a sense of roadmap it can be, as I've seen others mess up their own pace with, but at least assessments like What's the status? How is the progress?

It's been a long road to here. I mean the community didn't change in a day. It's not like where there are terrifying monsters or vicious enemies, may be just simpler attitudes such as honesty and sincerity, to start a change. We can still make things right.

I will go piece by piece to make it clear for you.
Nevertheless, you immediately insulting me and suggesting that I'm naive because of that ... well, that says a whole lot more about you than it does about me.
What the hell are you talking about? Read it again. Still, think it's an insult? Read it again. Repeat until you get it.
New castles and new city scenes are utterly essential to make sure
Essential for immersion - yes - even though there is literally nothing to in them. As you can see, I said they are not major feature. I didn't say they are not required/not important.
Are they major feature? No. Do you know what game feature means? It means something that wasn't in the game as functionality and planned to be added.
Here are some examples - if you didn't get it:
Rebellion -> Feature.
Diplomacy options - > Feature.
New sheep texture -> NOT a feature
Barber -> Feature ( pointless one - but still a feature )
New screens -> NOT a feature
You probably think youre just being a realist ... but actually, you show a kind of sad anger and disdain in your post that seems pretty toxic.
I'm being a realist. It doesn't necessarily make me toxic just because I'm not clapping TW for things they already have to do. I'm not clapping for a waiter to successfully bring my food to my table without dropping it either. Or clapping a bird because he managed to fly.
If I see the waiter drops it continuously to the floor - I would expect him to screw it up and drop next time as well.
This is common sense. And TW is the waiter in this scenario if you still didn't get it.
It's the kind of thinking and mindset we could all do without on these forums.
Sure I will leave the forum because some random guy said so.

Back
Top Bottom