The Latest Major Patch Announcements - TaleWorlds Communication

Users who are viewing this thread

You could always try to be positive and happy about the upcoming features that were just announced.
Oh I am .... but it's just the long waiting periods in between that are tough.... when major features are in the works but we don't know much about the state of their progress.

I definitely welcome the new Battle scenes - now if they could only give us a reason ANY reason to stroll thru the village/town/castle scenes -this game would have a much more compelling and complete feel. I wonder if they (the game designers) enjoy going thru the scenes at all besides admiring the artistry of them. I get the idea theres not that many gamers on the dev team despite their profession. And please no "well its work to them so of course they dont enjoy it" type bunk. Thats nothing but an excuse and poor vision from the top trickling down.

I think Taleworlds is finally making good use of WM and I hope they can make the most of its power. Creating dedicated scenes for each part of the map won't be a real feature, but it certainly lays the foundation for new possibilities and vectors of playability. The "things to do" in the scenes will therefore come when the time comes and I hope much more.

You could always try to be positive and happy about the upcoming features that were just announced.
Honestly, I find the new features more of a reason to be negative than positive. They show TW is focusing and spending a lot of efforts in pointless areas which are actually bad design and increasing the sunk cost problem rather than dropping said bad design and fix it with a better one.

The whole "battle terrain system" is just a waste of time and effort, and actually is very minor (it's just a glorified filter for maps after all). It's based on the terrible decision of using only hand-made maps, which is a completely idiotic and counter-productive one. The good thing would be to scrap that and go for auto-generated maps, that would both fix the lack of maps and would make this whole "battle terrain system" redundant.
Seeing TW commiting more resources to this failure rather than fixing it is not a reason to be positive.

The whole "battle terrain system" is just a waste of time and effort, and actually is very minor (it's just a glorified filter for maps after all). It's based on the terrible decision of using only hand-made maps, which is a completely idiotic and counter-productive one. The good thing would be to scrap that and go for auto-generated maps, that would both fix the lack of maps and would make this whole "battle terrain system" redundant.
Seeing TW commiting more resources to this failure rather than fixing it is not a reason to be positive.
Not agree, I love the feature of TW games where what you see in the strategic map is what you get on the battle map. This add a tactical depth to the game, chosing the terrain that benefits most your army setup or go ahead and take the risk.

So it is something good... on paper, let's see the implementation because as someone has already pointed some maps areas are so big to have a clear idea what kind of map will you get.

Not agree, I love the feature of TW games where what you see in the strategic map is what you get on the battle map. This add a tactical depth to the game, chosing the terrain that benefits most your army setup or go ahead and take the risk.
I agree, and that's precisely the problem with BL hand-made battle maps rather than procedurally-made ones.
Play RTW for example, each map is procedurally made from the position of your army on the map, and that means you get a battle terrain that fits the strategic location of your army.
With hand-made maps, it means that the game will have a very limited choice of maps that just have are thematically connected to the terrain you're in, which means that they both are much less relevant to the strategic terrain, AND much (MUCH) less varied.

I agree, and that's precisely the problem with BL hand-made battle maps rather than procedurally-made ones.
Play RTW for example, each map is procedurally made from the position of your army on the map, and that means you get a battle terrain that fits the strategic location of your army.
With hand-made maps, it means that the game will have a very limited choice of maps that just have are thematically connected to the terrain you're in, which means that they both are much less relevant to the strategic terrain, AND much (MUCH) less varied.
Not a fan of procedurally generated maps. Warband had them and they were awful, especially around Rhodok lands. So I'll take handcrafted maps any day of the week, especially if they make it easy for the community to make and add more.

Not a fan of procedurally generated maps. Warband had them and they were awful, especially around Rhodok lands. So I'll take handcrafted maps any day of the week, especially if they make it easy for the community to make and add more.
Warband having bad procedural maps doesn't mean that procedural maps are by essence bad.
RTW2 has procedural maps and they are pretty good. Adding tons of maps is neither feasable in big enough quantity to not have repetition creeping in, and a colossal waste of efforts and resources considering how many man-hours must be sunk in it. It's a factually worse design.

Warband having bad procedural maps doesn't mean that procedural maps are by essence bad.
RTW2 has procedural maps and they are pretty good. Adding tons of maps is neither feasable in big enough quantity to not have repetition creeping in, and a colossal waste of efforts and resources considering how many man-hours must be sunk in it. It's a factually worse design.
I completely disagree with this comment. Hand designed maps will always be better 1-to-1 then random ones. The reason procedural maps are better is only if the hand-designed ones are lacking in quantity. This does not appear to be the case with what Taleworlds are proposing.

Taleworlds have taken a very ambitious task of making enough maps that each area of the game world can have it's own map. In addition within these maps there will be multiple deployment points where battles can start. A map is not just a map in this case; it is a large area with multiple places a battle map can be placed. In effect what we are seeing is the entire Calradian map as a series of battle maps. Presumably you could put them all together; clean up the edges and in effects have the entire world as one scene (obviously not going to happen but just as as a theory).

This gives a player far more agency over picking terrain. Not only allowing a player to choose the terrain of their battle; but also allowing them to remember and utilise terrain features in the future. A player will be able to actually remember the in-game terrain around their castles and towns and where is best for them to tackle difficult enemies. It's an extremely interesting concept which Rome 1 (the superior rome total war) used to great effect.

Finally let us use an analogy. Which game has the better map; Skyrim or Redguard? Redguard had 1000x more map content because it was all procedurally generated - yet I don't imagine you will find many who would have preferred that over the stunning creation we all played through. It just seems strange to me that this forum complains about Taleworlds not adding enough content; then TW announce a huge content patch and people disregard it as being too much work....

Last edited:
I completely disagree with this comment. Hand designed maps will always be better 1-to-1 then random ones. The reason procedural maps are better is only if the hand-designed ones are lacking in quantity. This does not appear to be the case with what Taleworlds are proposing.

Taleworlds have taken a very ambitious task of making enough maps that each area of the game world can have it's own map. In addition within these maps there will be multiple deployment points where battles can start. A map is not just a map in this case; it is a large area with multiple places a battle map can be placed. In effect what we are seeing is the entire Calradian map as a series of battle maps. Presumably you could put them all together; clean up the edges and in effects have the entire world as one scene (obviously not going to happen but just as as a theory).

This gives a player far more agency over picking terrain. Not only allowing a player to choose the terrain of their battle; but also allowing them to remember and utilise terrain features in the future. A player will be able to actually remember the in-game terrain around their castles and towns and where is best for them to tackle difficult enemies. It's an extremely interesting concept which Rome 1 (the superior rome total war) used to great effect.

Finally let us use an analogy. Which game has the better map; Skyrim or Redguard? Redguard had 1000x more map content because it was all procedurally generated - yet I don't imagine you will find many who would have preferred that over the stunning creation we all played through. It just seems strange to me that this forum complains about Taleworlds not adding enough content; then TW announce a huge content patch and people disregard it as being too much work....
It's true

It just seems strange to me that this forum complains about Taleworlds not adding enough content; then TW announce a huge content patch and people disregard it as being too much work....
Yes, agreed. For sure.

The whole point of this thread was just me basically saying " Woah! where did this come from? I thought this was many months away ? Why didn't TW tell us the battle terrain system would be released soon?"

I thought that knowing this was coming a bit earlier might have helped the general morale of the community.

But having seen a lot of the stubborn negativity here in this thread... I think maybe I was wrong about that. Which is sad.

I'd actually prefer them to keep things like this secret until they are just about to release them lol.
Now I can't get into a campaign until the newly announced stuff is released.

Yes, agreed. For sure.

The whole point of this thread was just me basically saying " Woah! where did this come from? I thought this was many months away ? Why didn't TW tell us the battle terrain system would be released soon?"

I thought that knowing this was coming a bit earlier might have helped the general morale of the community.

But having seen a lot of the stubborn negativity here in this thread... I think maybe I was wrong about that. Which is sad.
I think debating that will not change if the update is released more or less close to this date. Personally, I think it is a good idea that TW didn't say anything about a certain development, because let's face it, in this community, if they announce something, there will always be negative comments from many people. Also, we know how they work in TW, if they announce something very big, like the region map system, we know perfectly well that it is not a job of a couple of weeks, so it would take time to make all the maps. And since they announced it until they finished it would take a long time and people would continue with their toxic comments. I am more of politics, of: "if they have something almost finished, show it"

I think debating that will not change if the update is released more or less close to this date. Personally, I think it is a good idea that TW didn't say anything about a certain development, because let's face it, in this community, if they announce something, there will always be negative comments from many people. Also, we know how they work in TW, if they announce something very big, like the region map system, we know perfectly well that it is not a job of a couple of weeks, so it would take time to make all the maps. And since they announced it until they finished it would take a long time and people would continue with their toxic comments. I am more of politics, of: "if they have something almost finished, show it"
Given that this project would require many dozens of maps; each much larger then existing battle maps it has probably been in development for quite a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason people have felt there has been a new content draught lately.

The scale of this update is actually mind boggling... effectively they have just created a whole new game world and added it into the game.

I'd also like to point out that DLSS is actually an amazing update that is highly underrated. Not many games have this functionality yet; I'm very surprised but overjoyed that Bannerlord got it so quickly.

Last edited:
The taste that a Chocolate has is inside of the package. You can make it a lot look cooler from outside but that won't gonna change it's flavour.

So we need updates concerning AI IQ and depthness for the game in my opinion. Of course we need new maps, new mustaches , new beards for our heros but that shouldn't be priority

The taste that a Chocolate has is inside of the package. You can make it a lot look cooler from outside but that won't gonna change it's flavour.

So we need updates concerning AI IQ and depthness for the game in my opinion. Of course we need new maps, new mustaches , new beards for our heros but that shouldn't be priority
I agree completely. There is a lot of stuff going on with patch notes but it still feels the same barebones.

It would not make any difference if they added tens of independent features here and there.

To name a few, feasts or grand tournaments would mean nothing to me unless npc behaviors, traits, different gameplay choices for factions, faction characteristics, dialogues, scene interactions are improved.

Back
Top Bottom