The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaBlade you were right. I found those raiders afterall. They were somewhere north of Morannon fighting some scouts.  :grin:

By the way, I noticed that when I created an Elven character the other Elves referred to me as a man-child. And when I went to hire Elven troops they would say something like "It takes quite a bit for men to get to lead our troops."
I guess the dialog was created with Men of the West characters in mind. Will the 1.011 version feature its own unique dialog for when you pick to be an Elf? Make dialog responses by NPCs race specific?

For now my little Elf is just a Half-elf then  :grin:

Yeah, that was fixed fixed already in our last dev version IIRC. The elves should recognise you as their own kind, that's how it was meant to be.

Oooh, this is going to be so epic...
Maybe you could limit the "mercenary option" to only human factions? Don't really know if that is possible, or if it is worth it.

Switching sides doesn't make sense since during the war of the Ring nobody switched sides.

Yeah, sides were pretty distinct, there wasn't room for mercenaries. Not even humans could really switch around because the factions were so diverse. You were either a Gondorian, a Horseman or one of the Easterlings from what I gather.

Hmm...I guess I always got the impression that it was viable for men to become evil and join Sauron's forces...I mean, Saruman did it, why couldn't Grocat the Massively Hung?

-Grocat the Massively Hung

Thats why, Sauron would never have it. Only one big **** per side i'm afraid, it's in the appendix's in the LOTR books... written exactly like that, honest.

Grocat said:
Hmm...I guess I always got the impression that it was viable for men to become evil and join Sauron's forces...I mean, Saruman did it, why couldn't Grocat the Massively Hung?

-Grocat the Massively Hung

The Easterlings and Saruman were specials exception.

Saruman is an exceptionally powerful wizard. The mountain men were just kind of crazy barbarians that Saruman influenced, as far as I know.

As for the Easterlings, they were completely unrelated to the war and didn't they kind of worship Sauron?

Just switching sides is kind of iffy I mean, you'd need something to offer Sauron, it's not like he had recruiting offices.

By mountain men i assume you mean Dunlanders. And yes they are not so much evil as primitive and barbaric isolationists. They never really formed a kingdom, and so where considered a nomadic nuisance by Gondor. They bore a deep hatred toward Rohan when Gondor gave Rohan the lands belonging to the Dunlanders, for their part Gondor was rather ruthless in this action also. Hence Dunlanders would have joined anyone that offered them revenge. The enemy of my enemy is my friend so to speak.

following is not required, but I'll think aloud to amuse myself  :wink:

That's why i love Tolkien works so much, the "good" guys only appear so good against extreme bad guys like Sauron, but between the wars, they were not so holy and glorious in their actions as the praise many bestow upon them. Left to their own devices the kingdoms of Men, Elves and Dwarves were as bad as each other. Numenor was a good example.  This black and white extremism that plagues fantasy today was why Tolkien was not a fan of LOTR, it undid, perception wise, much of the realities the Silmarillion laid out.

The Elves started the war with their arrogance and pride, not Margoth. He stole the Silmarils, yet the elves followed to get them back against the gods wishes.  Men came into the world as victims to the already raging war, they were not given the opportunity to develop in peace as the elves were, so Mans power hungry ways could to some extent be attributed to this, gain power to survive or die very quickly. Dwarves were every bit as ancient to middle-earth as the elves, but were kept in torpor so the elves could be the first, through hinted arrogance by the gods themselves. So Dwarves have every right to tell elves to shove it when they act as if Elder statesmen of wisdom. The Easterlings and other east folk were no more evil then gondor was good, their alliance's were purely due to location not inherent nature. Such are the complexities of middle-earth as i perceived them. It is quite clear ,to me at least, that most fantasy today is taken from LOTR books rather then the Silmaril. Good guys and bad guys are worlds apart. And yet in these high fantasy worlds it is fine for folk to change sides, but in Tolkien grey scale world, it seems wrong to do so. I don't quite know why, but even though it is a grey scale world, the sides are very much set in stone. It is most interesting is it not?

TL;DR
I always wished Gondor and Rohan switched troop types. The horsemen are much cooler than Gondorians, if only they were footmen instead. :lol: And Gondor would have some nifty cavalry in their tin armor.  :lol:

Pagan said:
The Elves started the war with their arrogance and pride, not Margoth. He stole the Silmarils, yet the elves followed to get them back against the gods wishes.  Men came into the world as victims to the already raging war, they were not given the opportunity to develop in peace as the elves were, so Mans power hungry ways could to some extent be attributed to this, gain power to survive or die very quickly. Dwarves were every bit as ancient to middle-earth as the elves, but were kept in torpor so the elves could be the first, through hinted arrogance by the gods themselves. So Dwarves have every right to tell elves to shove it when they act as if Elder statesmen of wisdom. The Easterlings and other east folk were no more evil then gondor was good, their alliance's were purely due to location not inherent nature. Such are
the complexities of middle-earth
as i perceived them. It is quite clear ,to me at least, that most fantasy today is taken from LOTR books rather then the Silmaril. Good guys and bad guys are worlds apart. And yet in these high fantasy worlds it is fine for folk to change sides, but in Tolkien grey scale world, it seems wrong to do so. I don't quite know why, but even though it is a grey scale world, the sides are very much set in stone. It is most interesting is it not?

are exactly why there shouldn't be much changing of sides.

everyone is inbred, chauvenistic-nationalistic, paranoid, small-minded and greedy.  Not the best breeding-ground for accepting that people who tried to kill you last week, now want to be your friend...

Soon enough, the TLD mod will be conquered ...

mb1l.jpg

That supposed to be a hobbit? I just don't get the image. There is no you you could clip everything right because no skeleton would fit that...
You, sir, have my attention.

cdvader said:
Soon enough, the TLD mod will be conquered ...

mb1l.jpg

Lol, that's funny :lol:

BTW, mtarini has been in the TLD team for a long time... just in case you didn't know :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom