The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not going to try and ***** about how long the mod has taken to develop, but instead i will give a little story of my own.

i got this game 2 years ago back when .808 was newest version. i got bored of the original game quite quickly, and saw a LOTR mod for it. sweet! so i downloaded. played with it for a long time, and finally ver.956 (well the version after .808 cant remember) came out. i went to the MBX forum for TLD, logged as Eugenioso, i asked Melkir when (and IF) an update for .957 was coming out soon. he told me that it would take at least a year. so, like a loyal puppy, i kept going with my life. EXACTLY a year afterwards i rechecked the forum, found my old post, quoted it, and simply added:

"ok. a year passed. is the mod ready?"

Answer:

"No"

i really hope everyone who wants to ***** about release dates reads this. the dev team is working to strive for quality and quantity, and they are gonna take all the time they want to take. so **** you all.

btw, this is what i call the AGS, Anxious Gamer Syndrome, whereupon the gamer *****es to gamedevs about release date, then when the game is released, the gamer *****es that the game is incomplete and full of bugs. can become viciously addictive.

solution: take a pair of valium pills a day. lock yourself into a panic room for a whole year with sufficient water and food (sanitary services not needed) and set the lock to "do not open till xmas"

More simple solution: Continue to play TLD on .808 until the version for 1.011 comes out? :O

THE MANS A GENIUS!

For everyone who *****es about a release date check the Ak Ela thread. One of the modders got pissed off and cursed leading to his ban. Now they have to wait even longer. Wouldn't you feel sad if the crew just said "**** those ungrateful bastards! Lets finish the mod and keep it for our selves!"

eugenioso said:
i got this game 2 years ago back when .808 was newest version. i got bored of the original game quite quickly, and saw a LOTR mod for it. sweet! so i downloaded. played with it for a long time, and finally ver.956 (well the version after .808 cant remember) came out. i went to the MBX forum for TLD, logged as Eugenioso, i asked Melkir when (and IF) an update for .957 was coming out soon. he told me that it would take at least a year. so, like a loyal puppy, i kept going with my life. EXACTLY a year afterwards i rechecked the forum, found my old post, quoted it, and simply added:

"ok. a year passed. is the mod ready?"

Answer:

"No"

Good story.
Llew, Merlkir, DaBlade, have you guys heard anything from AW recently? Or is he still missing?

I don't think people are being ungrateful.  Its just it has been a REALLY long time since this mod was updated to a new version.  The old version has added many features over the years.  It is a great mod and people want to play it IN the latest version.  At this point I don't think people care about new features or bigger and better.  They just want a port...even if its exactly the same as the old version to play with for now.  Yes, having several versions of mount and blade running on your computer is a complete PITA.  More importantly having great mods like this one in working order with the latest version will help raise revenue and interest in Mount and Blade as  a whole.  Its a real shame to see this mod die like this since I think it did raise a lot of interest for Mount and Blade.  Does anybody have the source code for the mod other than the head developer?  and is he willing to make it public...maybe hand it over to people who can get something working on 1.011 for the fans?

Darkslayer

Darkslayer said:
Its a real shame to see this mod die like this since I think it did raise a lot of interest for Mount and Blade.

See this mod die like this? Like what?

As for the rest of your post: I'd advise you to read more of the thread. And thanks for the words of encouragement.

implied-facepalm.jpg

Haven't done this in a while. Feels good.

I'm not sure it's kosher to post this here, but I saw how great this mod looked so I decided to install .808 of MB so I could run it, but when I try to I get a C++ error:  "Assertion failed!  Program C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade.exe  File:\Develop\Mb\rgl\rglSTring.cpp  Line:285  Expression: (cursor + len) <=str_length" 

I get the same error when I try to run a .808 version of The Tripartition too.  Can anyone help? :\

You are not running .808
Make sure that you are clicking on the .808 version and not the 1.011 version. Best thing to do would be to put the .808 version in a SEPARATE folder from your 1.011 version and run it from there.
Line: 285(common)
Is a version error when loading up a module.

Herzeleid said:
I'm not sure it's kosher to post this here, but I saw how great this mod looked so I decided to install .808 of MB so I could run it, but when I try to I get a C++ error:  "Assertion failed!  Program C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade.exe  File:\Develop\Mb\rgl\rglSTring.cpp  Line:285  Expression: (cursor + len) <=str_length" 

I get the same error when I try to run a .808 version of The Tripartition too.  Can anyone help? :\

I bet you can't play native either because you probably installed .808 over 1.011.

Look here:

http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,902.0.html

@ Herzeleid
I already had 1.011 installed and put the .808 version into a new destination/ folder. I just named it Mount&Blade Old.  :razz:
Then I installed TLD into the module folder of Mount&Blade .808.
This way you'll have both versions.
Oh, and if you use battlesizer you'll have to install that a second time as well. I had to reduce the battle size for .808 because my armies were dropping unconsious because the battle maps were not designed for so many troops  :roll:
Battle size 200 works good for me. Some solid and fast battles. How I love to skewer Rohirrim with my pike  :grin: I'm one nasty Orc.

@ DaBlade
Haven't encountered any more bugs. Just that little Goblin bug, but hey, 25 denars per group isn't really worth it. More of a nuisance than a reward  :lol:
Had a few questions though, but don't feel holden to answer.
-Had a quest where I was supposed to intercept Rohan raiders. The Raiders had attacked a "village near Morannon" and were heading for East-Emnet. I couldn't find them, so either I did not intercept them in time or... Is the quest broken? Vanilla M&B has towns with villages, but TLD does not. Could this somehow mess up the quest, or is the "village" perhaps a totally different placeable like Dol Amroth? Or would they indeed be spawned near Morannon?
-Those darn elves took captive Bolg and a corsair general. "with little chance of ever seeing them back". Is it actually possible to liberate them? Will they be held by the elven army that defeated them? Oh, I don't have high hopes for Bolg, since Moria was crushed right after Bolg was defeated :razz:
-After a faction is crushed, they don't spawn any more scouting parties, do they? Because I had an open quest for hunting Gondor scouting parties, but in the meantime Gondor has been crushed, kaput!
-I'm sure I had more to ask, but you're in luck, I can't recall...

@ Mod team
You know all those people asking for you to release the 1.011 version of TLD? To hell with that! I'm enjoying .808 so much I'd hate the idea of starting over!  :wink:
Haha, but I can't deny being curious though, to how 1.011 will change TLD's gameplay.
Going from 1.011 to .808 did bring quite a shock. The gamplay is very different. But good.

Anyhoo, don't let inconsiderate people, or people who keep asking for a release or whatnot get under your skin. You know you're in your right to take your time. This is your project. And a lot of people are going to be grateful that you did! Pity those that don't bother reading back a few pages, but don't let them get to you. Take your time, and make sure you enjoy what you're doing. I can see  Merlkir is really enjoying creating concept art, and wow, that's some serious artwork!

-Wainwright the Ranter

Wainwright said:
Haven't encountered any more bugs. Just that little Goblin bug, but hey, 25 denars per group isn't really worth it. More of a nuisance than a reward  :lol:

Yeah, I agree :lol: But at least you get some coin while training your troops.

Wainwright said:
-Had a quest where I was supposed to intercept Rohan raiders. The Raiders had attacked a "village near Morannon" and were heading for East-Emnet. I couldn't find them, so either I did not intercept them in time or... Is the quest broken? Vanilla M&B has towns with villages, but TLD does not. Could this somehow mess up the quest, or is the "village" perhaps a totally different placeable like Dol Amroth? Or would they indeed be spawned near Morannon?

They'd spawn near Morannon then. The party will have a different color (like blue or purple, can't remember), so they'll be easy to identify. They'll run after/from other parties on the map, so they may be elsewhere running or fighting. That quest is not broken, I've done it several times; you'll just have to look for them. You'll probably find them near East-Emnet in case they're not running or fighting elsewhere.

Wainwright said:
-Those darn elves took captive Bolg and a corsair general. "with little chance of ever seeing them back". Is it actually possible to liberate them? Will they be held by the elven army that defeated them? Oh, I don't have high hopes for Bolg, since Moria was crushed right after Bolg was defeated :razz:

Talk to some town lord or faction leader and you should get a quest to rescue any hero. Not sure about Bolg since Moria is crushed already, but if you get a mission to rescue another hero, you'll find Bolg there as well and he will join your party.

Wainwright said:
-After a faction is crushed, they don't spawn any more scouting parties, do they? Because I had an open quest for hunting Gondor scouting parties, but in the meantime Gondor has been crushed, kaput!

Too bad, the scout parties will not spawn anymore. I believe you'll have to spend influence points to get rid of that mission now. I'll try to remember to see if we can implement a way of canceling a mission (without loosing influence points) in case the faction is crushed. But that will have to wait for the next version, sorry.

There ya go :smile:

Wainwright said:
@ Herzeleid
I already had 1.011 installed and put the .808 version into a new destination/ folder. I just named it Mount&Blade Old.  :razz:

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I had tried to do an install of 808 in another folder before I posted that, but it was still giving me the same error.  I've finally just uninstalled all versions of M&B and reinstalled only 808, and it seems to be working now.  :mrgreen:  Thanks again.

Herzeleid said:
Wainwright said:
@ Herzeleid

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I had tried to do an install of 808 in another folder before I posted that, but it was still giving me the same error.  I've finally just uninstalled all versions of M&B and reinstalled only 808, and it seems to be working now.  :mrgreen:  Thanks again.

Good man!  .808 is the only one you need.

-Grocat the Ambidextrous Grape Provider

I've always wanted to try this mod.  I couldn't get it working on .808, and so am watching this with interest.

One question:  when your character swears allegiance to Gondor, does the oath end with "until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end?"

I always thought that was one of the more epic lines from tLotR.  I guess the ending of the world would be on their minds, though, since they live in the shadows of the mountains of terror.

Caliburn said:
I've always wanted to try this mod.  I couldn't get it working on .808, and so am watching this with interest.

One question:  when your character swears allegiance to Gondor, does the oath end with "until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end?"

I always thought that was one of the more epic lines from tLotR.  I guess the ending of the world would be on their minds, though, since they live in the shadows of the mountains of terror.

No, that's not how it works. You get to choose your faction at the character creation stage, so when you start playing you're already part of a faction. That can't be changed and will last for the whole game.

It makes sense that way because in TLD faction = race. That's what makes it possible to play as an orc or elf and get the right faces, bodies, voice sets, etc.

Huh, I thought Race decided your faction...that is, once you choose Orc, Uruk-hai, Elf, etc. then you are given the option for which factions you can join.  If you were a man in version 1.011, it might be nice to be able to leave the good side and join the evil, or the other way around.  I mean, I'm happy with the way things are, but, 1.011 generally seems to allow the player to become a bit more mercenary.

-Grocat

Yeah, you know it's a bit more complex than I explained; you start to choose if you want to be Man or Beast, etc. and only after that you can choose your faction.

But in order to have different voice sets and faces/skins for different factions, we need to define said factions as races in the skins file; that's what I meant.

The mercenary way works well for native, but wouldn't make much sense in TLD. We wouldn't want the player to be able to start as an orc and then join Gondor :razz:

True, but I would imagine it would be possible to limit the option to humans only.  But you're right, even with humans it could be awkward.

-Grocat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom