The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's wierd. I just upgraded my graphics card. Before all versions of M&B were sluggish. Now only Last Days is. It seems to halve my framerate compared to vanilla and other mods. Any ideas why?

Could be, but the only higher poly items there at the moment are the uruk helms. Lynx has kept his models pretty low poly.

It also has maybe twice as many or more .dds files as well as the new models but I dont notice much difference between mods. The only thing that kills me is lots of horses but thats always been the case.

No nazgul this time, I just dont have the resources or inspiration to do one justice at the moment. Gothmog may be in as a black numenorian but thats 50/50 right now.

I may use the Arena mod hero experience system at some point but I havent looked at it or tested it yet so it probably wont be in this version. Im just using the arena itself.

I may be a bit slow (I don't read the whole topic too carefully sry.), but will the new version (release date of which we still don't know ) contain the new graphics by Professor?

Maybe. Depends what he gets done by the time I get my stuff together. I think he wants to do a bulk release. I did an orgy of scripting last weekend so Im not doing too much work on it right now. Ive still got a small (new) list of things to finish and/or try out.

You know what would be really cool? If you could bribe or buy off a captain or leiutenant from the prisoner stable of one of your allied stacks. My mission to capture a Captain of Gondor has failed twice because I can't take a Lesser Host of Gondor on my own and every time I manage to knock the bastard out, the other stack of Mordor/Isengard troops takes him as a prisoner at the end of the battle.

It's really frustrating to have spent all your faction points on artifacts only to have 2 quests that you can't complete (the other being 3 guardsmen of gondor, which is bugged but will be fixed) be your only ones as Isengard. Right now I'm just wandering around killing orcs, refugees, and bandits trying to build up faction points that I really really need to get my mithril armor, but instead have to spend them telling my lords that I can't get the job done.

bbcrackmonkey said:
My mission to capture a Captain of Gondor has failed twice because I can't take a Lesser Host of Gondor on my own and every time I manage to knock the bastard out, the other stack of Mordor/Isengard troops takes him as a prisoner at the end of the battle.

Yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I eventually pulled it off and got totally lucky that the other group I was fighting with let me have the captain instead of taking them himself but it still took a long time.

The solution to that problem is naturally killing the host with only your party. When you're 25-30+ in levels, that's not really an issue anymore.

try the 'order your hairy little bastards to **** 'em up'-option. You know, when you meet the host. That way he gets knocked out in the first round AFAIK.

you don't want to use the auto resolve if you're badly outnumbered..your whole freaking party of say 40 (with about 12 charisma/4 leadership) can get wiped out by a host of 150-200 in a single auto calc.

Beelzebub said:
you don't want to use the auto resolve if you're badly outnumbered..your whole freaking party of say 40 (with about 12 charisma/4 leadership) can get wiped out by a host of 150-200 in a single auto calc.

Um yeah, no kidding. I usually even loose some people using that option when I'm the one with a huge advantage and only fighting something puny like river pirates.

I would also say the same issue exists if you decide to just outright attack an entire host by yourself. Sure, if your character is high enough in level you can kick all their asses single handed, but most of your party members would get killed or knocked out. So unless you enjoy running around with a party of nothing but Rohan Youths all the time, it seems to me like it might not be worth loosing your experienced troops just to complete one mission.

Ancientwanker said:
I think there was some calendar script posted recently though you wouldnt see the calendar date on the map.

That would be here, by me. I encourage others to use it, as scripting time-related events was the whole reason I wrote it. Enjoy! :smile:

I'd also like to point out that the availability of Captains of Gondor is very limited. There are only so many Lesser Hosts that the enemy puts out and the only one on my map at this moment had it's Captian killed in another battle. Right now I've got 3 Leiutenants of Gondor in my prisoner train and I'm angry because I'm eyeballing this Lesser Host of Haradrim that has 3 Captains of Gondor as prisoners, 2 of which I personally knocked out for them, and as of yet I haven't gotten a single mission to capture a Leiutenant.

And yes, when you are high enough level, you can take on that whole big Lesser Host of Gondor by yourself if you want to cheat your pants off and continually hit Ctrl-H during a battle, but when you play with High level AI and the battle size changer that puts the number of men on the field to 80-100 and you've got over a dozen Knights of Dol Amroth running over your Uruks and taking out your horse, then things get a bit hairier when you are trying to solo and be Rambo whilst simultaneously trying to keep that enemy captain alive so you can knock him out.

I'm just saying it would be nice if you could bribe a stack of your allied troops to hand him over to you. You don't get very many missions as Isengard so the ones you do get you have to complete them if you want to advance in rank.

A much simpler way to solve the probs for mordor and specially isengard would be to get more then one job at a time from the lords or if thats not possible put more lords in the available towns.

bbcrackmonkey said:
And yes, when you are high enough level, you can take on that whole big Lesser Host of Gondor by yourself if you want to cheat your pants off and continually hit Ctrl-H during a battle, but when you play with High level AI and the battle size changer that puts the number of men on the field to 80-100 and you've got over a dozen Knights of Dol Amroth running over your Uruks and taking out your horse, then things get a bit hairier when you are trying to solo and be Rambo whilst simultaneously trying to keep that enemy captain alive so you can knock him out.

I've actually never hit Ctrl-H, didn't even remember that there was a HP cheat.

Also, solo seems very odd indeed. I said with your party, which is very doable, especially with the elite units you have no shortage of what so ever at level 30.

As for your battle size changer, make it smaller during these rare capture missions and surgically take him out during the one battle he does show up? And I doubt anyone plays with AI on anything but good/high, it's dumb enough even then.

I might look at a routine to let you buy prisoners from your allies.. or something like it. It wont be anytime soon though. At the moment Im putting in a routine to have the orcs eat their prisoners over time but thats not really helping you is it? heh.

Ive already got them weaker in daylight and stronger at night.

Ancientwanker said:
I might look at a routine to let you buy prisoners from your allies.. or something like it. It wont be anytime soon though. At the moment Im putting in a routine to have the orcs eat their prisoners over time but thats not really helping you is it? heh.

I've already got them weaker in daylight and stronger at night.

If you can publish some of these snippets, I think others might enjoy using the fruit of your labour (with proper thank yous). I'm thinking about the vampire mod for example

sv

Well, Im not going to release any code before I even release the update. heh. Its a very simple bit anyway and will be easy to find with the unofficial editor when I release it. Im keeping it attached to an onscreen string that will be easy to locate.

The eating-people bit is working now but not exactly how I want it to. Its proving to be a pain but I know its possible. Everything seems in order for a release this weekend. This will be mostly a script update and bugfix. The update after this will be the big graphics update from Professor, Lynx and maybe dablade. I may redo the map for that one as well rather than script anything.

Daergar said:
I've actually never hit Ctrl-H, didn't even remember that there was a HP cheat.

Also, solo seems very odd indeed. I said with your party, which is very doable, especially with the elite units you have no shortage of what so ever at level 30.

As for your battle size changer, make it smaller during these rare capture missions and surgically take him out during the one battle he does show up? And I doubt anyone plays with AI on anything but good/high, it's dumb enough even then.

Not to flame, but I have to dissagree with your entire post.

First off, please tell me the secret of getting unlimited elite units after level 30 because I'm level 40 and nothing pisses me off more than when one of my Erol Guards of Rohan charges headlong into a group of enemies and gets mauled due the the fact that I consider them very limited and it takes quite awhile to train up from Rohan youths. I even switched to infantry units just because it takes them longer to reach the enemies and they therefore seem to get killed less often.

As for the AI, I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the only thing it controls is how agressive the enemies in the game are. I played around with it quite alot and I'm 99.9% sure that turning the AI up doesn't make them any smarter.

At level 40, I imagine the bands of roving low level tribal orcs / moutain goblins range in the 90+ number.

Take on a few of those on a flat area with the troops you need to upgrade, while you sit back and fire an arrow or two when you see one of your men get mobbed. Also try splitting up the milling orcs by charging through them just before your men hit. It provides a nice, inoffensive target rich environnment for your youth, riders, veteran riders, etc. to kill in.

Raltar said:
Not to flame, but I have to dissagree with your entire post.

First off, please tell me the secret of getting unlimited elite units after level 30 because I'm level 40 and nothing pisses me off more than when one of my Erol Guards of Rohan charges headlong into a group of enemies and gets mauled due the the fact that I consider them very limited and it takes quite awhile to train up from Rohan youths. I even switched to infantry units just because it takes them longer to reach the enemies and they therefore seem to get killed less often.

As for the AI, I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the only thing it controls is how agressive the enemies in the game are. I played around with it quite alot and I'm 99.9% sure that turning the AI up doesn't make them any smarter.

Sure. I never buy a single unit anymore. I take down patrols and hosts of the enemy instead. They usually have prisoners who are willing to join me.
(Especially true if you are Gondor, I usually end up with 10+ Rescued Prisoner parties milling around Minas Tirith.) Near Edoras I rescued over 90 prisoners, ended up with a 60+ Rescued Prisoner party. I kept 25 elite skirmishers for myself first though.

If I can be bothered, I just do it even easier and take down prisoner trains, though I usually pass on them because they're too easy to smite.

All in all, I have not had shortage of soldiers once I got past the first few game days. Gondor can get knights and veteran knights (Rohan gets veteran riders or elite skirmishers) very easily from patrols, hosts or prisoner trains. I've found infantry to be in shorter supply if you're looking for elite or near elite ones. Except master yeomen for Gondor, since they love to send those out with their caravans and patrols, which gets picked off by the Haradrim and Corsairs. Lots of units to be rescued around Linhir and Pelargir. :razz:

Hope that explains why I have no problem taking down hosts on my own. Well, that and my master archery. :lol:

As for the AI, sure, that sounds about right? As I said, and what was my point, it's not like the AI is a challenge regardless of what level you put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom