The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see that this is up and running! As I've said before, I'd be happy to help with Tolkien accuracy, at the very least. My knowledge of the weapons, armour, emblems, warfare, races, etc., of Middle-earth is substantial after working with these issues for close to a year now for The Fourth Age: Total War. I also have hundreds and hundreds of pages with research to tap into.

You are correct when you say that plate armour was not used in Middle-earth; mail was the preferred type of armour, but there is written evidence of leather and scale armour as well. It might not be too much of a stretch to include plate pauldrons, gauntlets, greaves and sabatons, because - as you said - vambraces was used, but this should, IMO, be kept at a minimum.

- Adanedhel

Yeah, by all means, you are more than welcome to help.

I didnt spend too much time on it personally but thats what I found in my brief 'internet research' as well,: Tons of chainmail, possibly ring mail, probably scale, leather, one plate bit and by extrapolation possibly a few more plate bits though very very rare. Never a breastplate mentioned anywhere. One case of a haradrim soldier described with either lamellar or some kind of lorica segmenta. And a single orc with an iron collar, heh.

There are some references somewhere to some orcs with heavy armor that was hard to pierce but it wasnt plate. Ill look more into that at some point.

But sure, having an expert on hand will certainly reduce the time it takes to root this information out.

I'm not sure what information you need, but this is something I put together a little while ago. You probably already have much of it written down already, but I might as well post it:

Faction Name: Gondor

Faction Leader: Denethor son of Ecthelion, Steward of Gondor

Faction Heir: Boromir son of Denethor, Captain of the White Tower

Other Family Members: Faramir son of Denethor, Captain of the Rangers of Ithilien

Faction Capital: Minas Tirith

Other Cities: Calembel, Dol Amroth, Ethring, Henneth Annûn [Refuge], Linhir, Pelargir, Tarnost

Faction Emblem: White field with no device. Also, a white tree surmounted by seven stars and a crown on a black field, only used by the Guards of the Citadel in the time of the Stewards; R ND R [in tengwar letters] surmounted by three stars - the letters signifies arandur (Sindarin: ‘king’s servant’) and was used by the Stewards as their sigil; a white swan-ship on a blue field [Dol Amroth]

-------------------------------------------------

Faction Name: Harad

Faction Leader: None.

Faction Heir: None.

Other Family Members: None.

Faction Capital: None.

Other Cities: Umbar

Faction Emblem: A black serpent upon a scarlet field.

-------------------------------------------------
Faction Name: Isengard

Faction Leader: Saruman the White [Other Names: Curunír, the Wise, the Many-Coloured]

Faction Heir: None.

Other Family Members: None.

Faction Capital: Isengard [Other Names: Angrenost]

Other Cities: None

Faction Emblem: A white hand on a black field. Also, a s-rune used as ornamentation on helms.

--------------------------------------------------

Faction Name: Mordor

Faction Leader: Sauron [Other Names: the Great, the Dark Lord, the Lord of the Rings]

Faction Heir: Witch-king, Lord of the Nazgûl

Other Family Members: Gothmog [believed by many to be one of the Nazgûl, or a Black Númenórean], Khamûl [second in command of the Nazgûl], Mouth of Sauron [Black Númenórean]

Faction Capital: Barad-dûr

Other Cities: Dol Guldur, Durthang, Minas Morgul, Morannon [the Black Gate, with the two Towers of the Teeth, Narchost and Carchost], Tower of Cirith Ungol

Faction Emblem: A red eye on a black field. Also, a moon disfigured by a death’s head [Minas Morgul].

--------------------------------------------------

Faction Name: Rohan [Other Names: the Mark, the Riddermark]

Faction Leader: Théoden son of Thengel

Faction Heir: Théodred son of Théoden, Second Marshal of the Mark

Other Family Members: Éomer son of Éomund, Third Marshal of the Mark; Éowyn daughter of Éomund.

Faction Capital: Edoras

Other Cities: Aldburg, Dunharrow [Refuge], Helm’s Deep, Underharrow, Upbourn

Faction Emblem: A white running horse on a green field. Also, a blazing sun used by heirs of Eorl [used by Théoden on his shield].

-------------------------------------

None means that none is mentioned in the works of Tolkien. Other cities includes everything from keeps and refuges to villages, towns and cities. You might spot the RTW influence in the layout :wink:

- Adanedhel

Heh, yeah I noticed the RTW/fourth_age format. No other game would include Gothmog as saurons family. heh. I thought I was about to read some tabloid information buried deep in the silmarillion.

Thanks for the info though, the major cities lists are useful. Otherwise I really dont think I need much general information at the moment. With no tools yet there is nothing being done but trying to get models. Im trying to play with some modelling programs to accelerate that process. Thats going to be the holdup. Putting out a LOTR mod with vanilla models and skins is a crime against mankind.

The only information I can think would be good now would be anything you could dig up on gear, armor and weapons of various troop types, specifically any mention of the special gear of elite units. For instance I know that Theodens elite horsemen wore a sun emblem instead of the horsey. I see youve got some of the emblem stuff included already. Stuff like that but specifically arms. Thanks if you get the chance. No rush by the look of things.

I would Like to help in this mod, its wicked BUT, if u dont make all of Middle Earth, ur toast man ur really toast i will tare u apart, u cant just make a LOTR mod without having all of Middle Earth, in it thats just not right. But anyways how do u make armor and stuff for M&B anyway.......

Rofl, did you tear EA apart cause Battle For Middle Earth didn't include the whole of Middle Earth? :lol:

Btw, what is the format of M&B's 3d models?
I know the textures are handled using dds.

I love all things The Lord Of the Rings. I love the mods, but I do feel that asking people to completely make their own armour for LOTR is a bit muck unles a retextured heraldic for armour for Gondor and suchlike..... with a chain to the legs insted of tramps trousers.....

I really appreciate that someone is making a mod for the greatest peice of fiction and films ever made..... eacept mapbe the alien trilogy....

Keep it up!

I would Like to help in this mod, its wicked BUT, if u dont make all of Middle Earth, ur toast man ur really toast i will tare u apart, u cant just make a LOTR mod without having all of Middle Earth, in it thats just not right. But anyways how do u make armor and stuff for M&B anyway.......

Heh, I assume that by "all of middle earth" you mean the tiny sliver of it used for maps in the trilogy. The larger middle earth map is about 10x as large as that and its people are completely unknown.

Even just the classic shire to mordor rectangle from the books is such a huge area. Try riding from one side of the mount and blade map to the other and see how long it takes you in game time. Probably a little over a day. Minas Tirith to Rohan in LOTR is minimum half a week.

Now imagine the army AI handling an unfocused map like that. WIthin one week of game time 50% of the armies of gondor would be wandering the harad wastes and the other half would have mounted an expedition to lonely mountain or gone looking for pipeweed in the shire. Its just silly.

I love all things The Lord Of the Rings. I love the mods, but I do feel that asking people to completely make their own armour for LOTR is a bit muck unles a retextured heraldic for armour for Gondor and suchlike..... with a chain to the legs insted of tramps trousers.....

Well, nothing wrong with asking for some new armor models. Its not like adding vambraces to a hauberk is a radical design element. Would be nice if we are able to put the current armors into a 3d program and just add some polys when the tools come out. As for retexturing, im a little bit bored with it as the original models are easily recognizable. OF course, most of the 'new' armors will just be retextures in the end but 3 or 4 new models shouldnt be that hard to come by.

Btw, what is the format of M&B's 3d models?
I know the textures are handled using dds.

No idea.

In lieu of any new models to texture at the moment, Im putting the finishing touches on some haradrim textures for the old gear. I need a black serpent image for the shield though and I cant seem to find a good one. If anyone has a good stylized black snake, simple black dragon or similar image that would look good on a shield, send er to me please. Thanks.

Orc falchions, besides needing a few touchups models are done, textures pending the release of the polycount limits (which might need me to remodel it anyway):
orcfalchions1ao.jpg

Now can someone tell me how to do new models? I want to do uruk-hai armor, weapons and wargs.

Another 2 weapons from the same pic, another falchion(?) and a polearm (scaled smaller to fit in the render

Hey, thats great, I was going to ask for that polearm as well but never got around to it. Great job! Thats something an orc would like to stick you with.

Now can someone tell me how to do new models? I want to do uruk-hai armor, weapons and wargs

Just get a free program like blender or a trial of something else. I dont know much about it but expect it to take awhile to get good. I did a tutorial and made a sword but it was nothing special.

As for wargs, wont be able to change horses skeletons/models/animations like that Im pretty sure so.... The easiest way would be to just change skins but they would have horse bodies with fur, fangs, etc and would probably look stupid. At the moment im not going to have warg riders.

I have no idea what keepers creation is... so I plead the fifth. Im guessing he made a warg out of a horse model. Im sure its possible, I just imagine it wouldnt look very good without, at least, shorter, thicker legs.

So for now, no wargs or unusual mounts in this mod. I think I am doing custom mounts for rohan, gondor and the harad though. It just makes the soldiers look better to have horses kit that matches their own. Haradrim horse is almost done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom