The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's day 70, and rescued prisoner parties are beginning to become an eyesore... the maps is getting pretty crowded with them. My main problem is that they just don't seems to do anything productive... even with great numbers, they never attack enemies. Is there something that could be done about this? I have a couple ideas:

a) Modify the party AI of rescued prisoners to give them some balls. Rename them, if necesary, to something like 'liberated gondorian warparty' or whatever.

b) Modify party AI of rescued prisoners to seek out patrols/hosts of their faction and join up with them, bolstering their numbers.

c) Create some sort of script to get rid of rescued prisoners after a certain amount of time, adding them to faction reserves if possible. Hey, they're bound to find their way home eventually, right?

thoughts?

I know about this. I mean to say that instead of using it on myself I had just given it to one of my heros. That way I could simply get it from him later.

-Grocat[/quote]

Arathiel said:
It's day 70, and rescued prisoner parties are beginning to become an eyesore... the maps is getting pretty crowded with them. My main problem is that they just don't seems to do anything productive... even with great numbers, they never attack enemies. Is there something that could be done about this? I have a couple ideas:

Brought this up a while back. One way to fix is quite annoying, but the time spent is worth it if you plan to play long term.

Find yourself a huge host and charge headlong into the enemy, your horsemen will be killed by axe wielding orcs, your archers shot by Corsair crossbowmen, and your footmen will hump each others legs trying to swing at one enemy at a time. (quite a sarcastic bastard aren't I?)

When you are finished getting whacked to pieces, gather up the prisoners into your party and repeat. Find another party of prisoners and do the same. Repeat the process until the host is destroyed (then find another one) or you run out of peasant women and Gondor footmen huddling in clumps of worthless flesh.

I do have a great enjoyment with this game, when I have the time to spend playing it. It only gets better with each release, so seems like a whole new game every time! (and because we actually get to start a new game every time...there goes my sarcasm again -- can't control it -- years of military service adds bits of sarcasm to every generation)

AW: wish I could help develop those codes for melee combat commands for each type of unit group, just don't know where to start?

Armagan already has an order system in the next version. Should be out any day.

The ecology of the worldmap is one of the last big things to fix. Rescued prisoners need to be removed from time to time, orcs need to eat their prisoners from time to time and I may need to reduce the numbers pre-existing prisoner trains again.

60th day i used cheats and the game multiplied its troops to come up. (around 90 a host) That host pretty muched camped prisoner trains until it got that high

It wasnt prisoner trains alone that made a stack that big. That would be impossible. The mods been out two months and the previous record screenshot was in the 500-600 range I think. Since then I decreased the spawn rate of prisoner trains (48 hours with a 24 hour reset), reduced the amount of prisoners in the prisoner trains and made a smaller window for them to appear at all (only during the war when a faction is strong or weakened). If thats a host, even with cheating it would likely take close to a week to appear which reduces the available time further.

Even with cheating to start quickly... to have a 1700 strong army with 750 prisoners appear in a 60 day window there is only one possibility. I think this could be the result of two massive hosts engaging and one eating the other, gaining all of its prisoners as recruits in the process and enslaving much of the opposite host. Like two black holes merging.

Obviously it must be incredibly rare as its never been reported before but it is interesting. Its like a little aquarium.

another question o great Wankster, in this mod is it possible to siege / capture a city? and if so, how would one go about doing such a thing?

Siege is easy to do as a player activity. The FPS will suck though just like the other siege mods.

The complexity of siege isnt the siege itself, which is easy. Its the consequences of siege in a multi-faction game. The spawn possibilities, merchant AI, number of alternate npcs needed, etc. A complete siege system would just be a pain to code for modest results. The game chokes on any battle scene where there are lots of horses and props. Just play the arena 4x6 and youll see.

I flirted with several variants of it a few months ago but Im just not motivated to include it. It I get in a scripting mood there is another kind of mission Id rather include next. That the engine handles better.

I am intrigued...also, fps could be slightly reduced by making all of the town pieces one model, whihc would cut down on the collision detection problems. at least, it should...Also, a reminder that raids are not seiges...

I really wish there was a way to only recruit some of the prisoners out of those freed prisoners but not all of them. You know, pick the ones you want and send the rest on their way. Shouldn't be too hard to implement and would be a good way to get rid of all those freed prisoners roaming the map by just absorbing them into your forces.

Maybe you could have a code where you can manually talk to a group of freed prisoners and tell them to disperse and they get added to the reserves of your faction.

Oggy said:
Good to see someone knows there seiges. What the hell is this place coming too?!

:roll:
Well thank you for the useless statements. What I meant was that I have been pushing for a system, somewhat similar to the Northern Kingdoms mod, where the small towns can be raided. I was differentiating between seiges, with a prologued encampment round or an assault on a large, walled city with the intent to conquer it. This is obviously different from a raid, which targets the villages, trying to damage production. Since I have pushed for a raid system many times, I assumed that AncientWanker would know what I meant.

Sorry if I appear overly defensive, I have about 4 hours of sleep.

Ancientwanker mentioned needing a free program to make troop trees. I have found yEd tp be adequate to my needs. Take a look:

http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.htm

bbcrackmonkey said:
I really wish there was a way to only recruit some of the prisoners out of those freed prisoners but not all of them. You know, pick the ones you want and send the rest on their way. Shouldn't be too hard to implement and would be a good way to get rid of all those freed prisoners roaming the map by just absorbing them into your forces.

Maybe you could have a code where you can manually talk to a group of freed prisoners and tell them to disperse and they get added to the reserves of your faction.

Perhaps this should be directed to the suggestions forum for Armagan to include in the next vanilla version

The quest "Kill the local band of banditss" from the merchant of Minas Tirith is bugged. The quest logs says "Merchant Qui... of asks to kill..." without of name of the town. And I am absolutely sure there is no band around. I started to search them ASAP in broad daylight and they surely weren't there.

Maybe there is a way such quests to expire?

The merchant quests didnt take kindly to being divided between factions. There are a great many bugs associated with them at the moment. Its the last major bugfix I need to do before the next update.

I would say ignore it and never go back, its just trouble.

Ancientwanker said:
The merchant quests didnt take kindly to being divided between factions. There are a great many bugs associated with them at the moment. Its the last major bugfix I need to do before the next update.

I would say ignore it and never go back, its just trouble.

This quest is the only quest without expire data. Maybe it is possible to add 15 days and the quest to expire and disappear.

Ancientwanker said:
I think this could be the result of two massive hosts engaging and one eating the other, gaining all of its prisoners as recruits in the process and enslaving much of the opposite host. Like two black holes merging.

Obviously it must be incredibly rare as its never been reported before but it is interesting. Its like a little aquarium.

I should write my master's thesis on this..."The Ecology and Social Behaviors of Wandering War Parties and Hosts in the Mount and Blade mod The Last Days: A Case Study."

On the subject of Sieges:

One thing that could be possible and realistic with the given system is something similar to how a game called "Darklands" handled it. Baisically in that game you played through it with a max party of 5, so when you needed to take out a Robber Baron in his small castle what you could do is camp outside bow range from the castle and intercept all food shipments to the castle until the Baron sent out waves of troops to get some food, you would kill these troops wave by wave, until eventually the Baron tried to break through himself.

Other options included trying to sneak into the castle or talking your way in and then trying to fight your way through it until you find the baron, or set castle on fire and escape, etc. The setting on fire was more of a dialog option, the fighting through the castle might be possible however.

Thanks for that software, I whipped up a quick troop line. Upgrade wise, its all current except the corsair line. The chart for them will be their line in the next version.

Yellow=infantry line (may have some limited missiles)
Blue=missile troops. Half blues like rangers and assasins are better at melee.
Gray=mouinted troops.
Green=light elite. Elites with light armor who get a small bonus to weapon skill.
Orange=unarmored elite. Elite with no armor who get a larger weapon bonus.

One thing that could be possible and realistic with the given system is something similar to how a game called "Darklands" handled it. Baisically in that game you played through it with a max party of 5, so when you needed to take out a Robber Baron in his small castle what you could do is camp outside bow range from the castle and intercept all food shipments to the castle until the Baron sent out waves of troops to get some food, you would kill these troops wave by wave, until eventually the Baron tried to break through himself.

Other options included trying to sneak into the castle or talking your way in and then trying to fight your way through it until you find the baron, or set castle on fire and escape, etc. The setting on fire was more of a dialog option, the fighting through the castle might be possible however.

Well, I dont think anyone is going to burn down minas tirith but in general, raiding is the way I plan to go. I just need to tie it into pre-existing game elements to make it meaningful. Not that Im in the mood to script it at the moment but eventually thats the route.

I should write my master's thesis on this..."The Ecology and Social Behaviors of Wandering War Parties and Hosts in the Mount and Blade mod The Last Days: A Case Study."

Yeah, its interesting. The map ecology is something I overlooked in the beginning. In mag-7 things hadnt changed enough to worry about it. Now its going to require some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom