The Language of Calradia...

Users who are viewing this thread

What is it called?
Calradian? Swadish? Calradish?
although it is possible everyone speaks through translators, and each faction has a different language, I'm curious what the Calradians speak.

While it would be fantastic to get a developer comment on this, i dont have high hopes for that.

I think they just speak the language that you used to install the game.

For my it is English... Maybe their language is called "Default" xD  Well yea only developer can answers this :sad: I don't remember it being named anywhere.

I always imagine that the language of the old calradic empire survived and became something like an international trading language, sort of like greek during hellenism.
So although each faction has its own language when interacting with each other they speak calradic.
Swadians and Rhodoks are probably an exception as they both share carladic as their native language.

no i mean, i know WE the players see it as english or finnish or german or whatever language the PLAYER speaks/reads/installs, i meant the name of the language that the people ingame speak to each other. mainly because i need to make a reference to it in one of my companions.

Well, as Iron said; but I imagine it would be Calradian since it seems the language of countries (In our world anyhow) are named after the country itself, Japanese, German, English with respective country names. So Calrad(insert ending here)

Technically those are the English names for those languages. The Germans don't call their language German, and the Spanish don't call their language Spanish. So if you wanted to go that deep, the Rhodoks could refer to their own language using a different term to what the Swadians would use, and every nation might have a different term for the "Caldradian language". Too complex? :razz:

Meestor Pickle said:
Well, as Iron said; but I imagine it would be Calradian since it seems the language of countries (In our world anyhow) are named after the country itself, Japanese, German, English with respective country names. So Calrad(insert ending here)

I guess one could choose between Calradic, Calradian, Calradianese or Calradish 

Is this a thread about the language name or is it a thread about what group it (or they, for that matter) would belong to, by the way?

Remind me to read multiple times.

I guess they'd all speak something between old Calradic and whatever they had before.

Malik Faris said:
What is it called?
Calradian? Swadish? Calradish?
although it is possible everyone speaks through translators, and each faction has a different language, I'm curious what the Calradians speak.

While it would be fantastic to get a developer comment on this, i dont have high hopes for that.

Have you ever heard any in-game character speak? I havn't. Therefore they speak nothing.

iirc Calradia is the name of the region the game takes place in, and the empire that used to rule it. Romans didn't speak 'roman', inhabitants of the Timurid empire didn't speak 'timurish', etc. so it wouldn't make much sense to say they speak 'calradian'

i want to know, because i want to have one of my companions start speaking in spanish, then the players response be something like "hablo calrad?" and then the npc starts speaking regularly... or "common" as it were.

I always imagined that they speak this secret language that I made up myself. It sounds a lot like English but with a French accent, and then some of the words I just made up myself. Like 'iknart' means Two Handed Pole Axe for instance. And 'kolt' means 'Hi, can I have some smoked fish, please?'. Sometimes I play out the scenes when my character meets another Lord, but my dog, Roger, is not very good at Calradical, as I've dubbed the language.

Phoss said:
I always imagined that they speak this secret language that I made up myself. It sounds a lot like English but with a French accent, and then some of the words I just made up myself. Like 'iknart' means Two Handed Pole Axe for instance. And 'kolt' means 'Hi, can I have some smoked fish, please?'. Sometimes I play out the scenes when my character meets another Lord, but my dog, Roger, is not very good at Calradical, as I've dubbed the language.
I just lost the game. And loved it. :grin:

Puritan said:
Have you ever heard any in-game character speak? I havn't. Therefore they speak nothing.
Keep in mind, the bandit & farmer accents seem to loosely mirror characters' origins - for example, Sea Raiders claim that "ze" gods "vill" decide your fate. From this, it can be interpreted that Calradian may just be an extremely common "second language" that foreign factions adopted willingly to ease diplomacy and trade. We can also assume that the Forest Bandits with their English accents hint that Swadia may be the only kingdom who natively speaks Calradian.

That, or the voice actors were just joking around with stereotypes.

The Romans spoke Latin because before they had their empire they were a group of tiny villages/tribes called the Latins. And it's actually called Calradian because some characters in the game refer to it such as when Jeremus says that there was no such thing as a Calradian way of crowning a king.

Back
Top Bottom