The Language of Calradia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Fry said:
Puritan said:
Have you ever heard any in-game character speak? I havn't. Therefore they speak nothing.
Keep in mind, the bandit & farmer accents seem to loosely mirror characters' origins - for example, Sea Raiders claim that "ze" gods "vill" decide your fate. From this, it can be interpreted that Calradian may just be an extremely common "second language" that foreign factions adopted willingly to ease diplomacy and trade. We can also assume that the Forest Bandits with their English accents hint that Swadia may be the only kingdom who natively speaks Calradian.

That, or the voice actors were just joking around with stereotypes.

So...

Lords, Barmaids, Ransom Brokers, etc make their ideas known telepathically in a way that appears as the language of the player. I see English, what do you see?

Bandits, sea raiders, and other gutter snipes actually speak, but also make thier ideas known thru telepathic text speech...

killer110 said:
The Romans spoke Latin because before they had their empire they were a group of tiny villages/tribes called the Latins. And it's actually called Calradian because some characters in the game refer to it such as when Jeremus says that there was no such thing as a Calradian way of crowning a king.

I'll grant that Latin comes from the region that Rome was in, called Latium. But that doesn't always hold true, there is no 'Indian' language, no 'Australian' language.

Jeremus is referring to the customs of the Empire. Or does he also talk about 'old Calradian texts'? But that could also be a referring to the originators of the writings and not the language.

You RP the way you want, and dream up your own back story if you want. If you imagine a world with 99 different languages and dialects, fine. I'll stick to telepathic mind powers. :wink:

Puritan said:
Fry said:
Puritan said:
Have you ever heard any in-game character speak? I havn't. Therefore they speak nothing.
Keep in mind, the bandit & farmer accents seem to loosely mirror characters' origins - for example, Sea Raiders claim that "ze" gods "vill" decide your fate. From this, it can be interpreted that Calradian may just be an extremely common "second language" that foreign factions adopted willingly to ease diplomacy and trade. We can also assume that the Forest Bandits with their English accents hint that Swadia may be the only kingdom who natively speaks Calradian.

That, or the voice actors were just joking around with stereotypes.

So...

Lords, Barmaids, Ransom Brokers, etc make their ideas known telepathically in a way that appears as the language of the player. I see English, what do you see?

Bandits, sea raiders, and other gutter snipes actually speak, but also make thier ideas known thru telepathic text speech...

killer110 said:
The Romans spoke Latin because before they had their empire they were a group of tiny villages/tribes called the Latins. And it's actually called Calradian because some characters in the game refer to it such as when Jeremus says that there was no such thing as a Calradian way of crowning a king.

I'll grant that Latin comes from the region that Rome was in, called Latium. But that doesn't always hold true, there is no 'Indian' language, no 'Australian' language.

Jeremus is referring to the customs of the Empire. Or does he also talk about 'old Calradian texts'? But that could also be a referring to the originators of the writings and not the language.

You RP the way you want, and dream up your own back story if you want. If you imagine a world with 99 different languages and dialects, fine. I'll stick to telepathic mind powers. :wink:
I was only mentioning the Romans not other things like Australians.
And maybe they did evolve telepathic mind powers because they couldn't technically hear what was being said because of all those battle cries, i swear everytime all of Calradia makes peace it only lasts 1-2 days. Sea raiders etc. actually talk maybe because they usually run away from lords and don't attack castles or towns at all.

And how come when i'm typing this post the scroll always goes up after i finish typing in a letter, it's very annoying so if anyone has the same problem please help.

Meestor Pickle said:
I see English, what do you see?

Dead people...
me too, especially when i stick an axe in them. but for some reason when a man has an arrow in the neck, 2 in the head, a missing right arm, an eye dangling from the socket and several sword wounds on his torso, he's alive and well and kicking Kerghit ass but when a man has a dagger stuck between the "twins" he's lying on the ground, cold and pale, dead.

i actually played a mod that let you fight with "different" weapons and i managed to kill a kerghit by headshotting him with a thrown bread (different from a french bread spear).

And Calradic does sound better in my head...

Maybe Calradian is the formal version and Calradic is the "slang" version in a way

Harathan said:
Captain_Octavius said:
It's most likely Calradic, since the old empire was called the Calradic Empire, not the Calradian Empire.

According to what source?

PS. I know its an old thread but I'm after an answer.
The NPC heroes in game (specifically Artimenner and Lezalit, I believe) refer to the old empire as Calradic. Have a chat or two with them.

Bah!  Those fools!  They know nothing!  Lezalit is from Geroia and the other guys an architect.

Firentis of Suno, the old capital, calls it Calrad.

Back
Top Bottom