The cav parking issue

Users who are viewing this thread

3 lives max per captain, there, fixed.
As a high ping player this would destroy my game... with 250 ping I am often more venerable than my AI to solo cav players... Please don't consider this TW

1st round when I run infantry I almost always bring spears / pikes. Just for the situation we're discussing I'll meet the cav player at the last flag after the fight is done and will let the slow and inevitable destruction of their horses begin 1 by 1.

Just because something has counter-play doesn't make it good design.

Imagine describing this to someone who doesn't play Bannerlord:

"Oh I play a strategic squad-command game too."
"Cool, what's it like?
"Well, I hide my guys on the other side of the map while I solo rambo the enemy force."
"I pretty much wait till my whole army is defeated then I start taking kills"
"How does it end?"
"Well everyone has to wait till the timer runs out, and then i suicide my remaining horses"
"and win!?"
"Err... No, but my KVD is great!"

You rambo until your team engages, then bring your squad in.
I'm all for good rambo plays... As long as (like you said) the squad arrives when the tactical approach needs to be implemented or the fight begins. A lot of solo cav players seem to forget the bit about supporting the army in it's endeavours

. Cavalry is incompetent. Because of how strong the player is compared to their units, it's optimal to fight with only the player as much as possible, because cav dying or getting shot while not in player control is a lot of lost value. Cav will most likely miss attacks on targets that their commander is attacking, and will follow behind at a long distance, forcing the cav player to pass through their desired target and then wait for their cav to catch up before attacking again. In captain, the cav player themselves are responsible for the 50%+, usually up to 80%+, of their squad's kills, despite commanding a larger force. In addition, the "charge" command is mostly worthless, because your units will take a 30 second loop before coming back to make one melee attack, and then miss again.
this needs to be adressed soon, especially how the cav is unable to catch up with you, when I play cav I try going 2/3 of my speed so my cav can catch up and they STILL have difficulties (crashing against terrain and overall not reaching their maximum speed), during fights this gets even worse

I'm not against ramboing or parked cav, if the situation calls for it it can be a good tactic for harassing. The real issue here is the A.I being dumb
TW needs to make their bots smarter and better, if the A.I is good they will not be baited by a single cav and will actually get their spears/2h weapons ready when the cav gets near instead of standing there.

What if there was a perimeter set on each map that was effectively an exclusion zone for parking cavalry. You are allowed to park cav there, but after 30 seconds (making up a number here, don't get hung up on the number) your cavalry units will rejoin the captain and take the most direct path to do so. You can go park again and rinse and repeat. But this means your cav ai are in danger of being ripped apart as they automatically make their way back to the captain, meaning it is risky to leave them unattended. The idea being you can still park them for as long as you like in the non exclusion area closer to the flags... But that is obviously is a massive risk for cav players as their men are in range and view of the enemy for most of the fight.

It does not require a counter. The team is essentially down one player and get overwhelmed quickly from my experience. This "strategy" wouldn't be a problem with an actual player base with a match making rating because they would quickly reach the bottom (which is ironic given the player thinks himself as a skilled player for beating up computer mobs)

The real problem lies in the sheer boredom it create, see the players on his video complaining and straight out quitting.
Funny that you say this. Parking cav and ramboing is high level play used even in competitive matches, and it is very effective when done right. A single cav player can make or break a team.

Distance timer. If you are too far away from your troops - they start to desert one by one. That will teach them.

On the other hand cav AI is useless. They will happily roll through pikemen at any given occasion.

Funny that you say this. Parking cav and ramboing is high level play used even in competitive matches, and it is very effective when done right. A single cav player can make or break a team.
Well this sucks and shall not be a thing in a teamplay-based mode.

Amount of people defending obvious mechanic abuses as "high level play" is too damn high.

Amount of people defending obvious mechanic abuses as "high level play" is too damn high.
We have sort of two types of people who joined the forum recently.

We've got the "apologists" who want to be accepted as MLG so will defend even the most absurd abuses by anyone with a good K/D, and then we have normal people.

It's mostly the AI cav being totally useless. I started doing it too when the game launched on EA without having seen anyone do it on my games, this is just the right way to play cav and you understand it by yourself when you see the cavs AI being so bad...

The only solution is to fix cav AI but that will never be enough. For having a max distance allowed from the captain to troop, this could be a good idea but I'm not sure, I wish something else could be found... I was thinking make AI archers and lancers get extra accurate when there is only one target coming at them. That way solo cav is worthless as it should be.
I think it would make sense because entire troop expecting only one opponent should make them way more ready and focused.

But yeah it must go.

Lol, I'm not defending the play. I am vehemently against enabling rambo cab play as it is, but his statement was completely stupid in that particular comment. That is what I wanted to point out.

We've got the "apologists" who want to be accepted as MLG so will defend even the most absurd abuses by anyone with a good K/D, and then we have normal people.
We as a community (Captain's league) have been actually gathering up all the different exploits and informing the devs about them for a while now, and actually want to make the game a better experience. I just think a lot of your opinions are real uneducated. Personally insulting people for stating something that opposes your stand does not make you out to be very respectable to me to be completely honest.

... Just learn to punish it.

I like to play cav but I hate to waste bots so cav parking seems very natural.

For this to be effective, it requires me to rambo too. Then it's 2 idiots running to eachothers' spawns to kill the other player's cav bots. I can already picture it in my mind and it's literally the furthest thing I can imagine from the point of Captain.

increasing the unit size might help, if the performance allows it
You mean as in all troops or cav to make it more viable to be used as a squad? To both I'd say no.
- Increasing all units' sizes wouldn't help because it's might be even harder for captains to protect their troops, especially archers, because they would have a wider line.
- For the rambo cav it'd be just more respawns and the mere thought of that makes me puke in my mouth.

I think one of the two good solutions right now is to include the good old anti-rambo script to Captain. We had this in NW and some custom servers. It makes you deal no damage when you're too far away from your squad. It still leaves you able to "scout" (which is apparently what a lot of "pro" rambo players say they are doing), but makes you unable to abuse AI without taking any risks.
The other solution (preferably added with the first one) is to make horses less tanky so they don't tank at least 10 shots from longbows before going down, and make AI ranged fire as a squad smarter, so they wouldn't focus only the one cav troop in front instead of the whole squad and to make them better at leading shots.

Back
Top Bottom