The cav parking issue

Users who are viewing this thread

this is something I see more and more in captain, most cav players hide their cav somewhere protected in the map and constantly harass enemy troops, this strategy is especially effective against heavy archers since a good cav player can usually get at least 3 kills per life (unless you are horse gang, in that case you can wipe an entire squad per life), making it worth, something must be done about this, does TW have any plan?

+1, I have long wanted to hear what TW thinks about this. It is necessary to increase the efficiency of the AI cavalry so that this vile one becomes meaningless or to introduce a severe restriction on the type of limiting the distance between the captain and his squad.

Also if he's the only remaining from enemy team can't you just win by flags?
cav parking can be usually done in the early stages of the round, to kill important units, as you mentioned, one of the counters of it would be another cav squad hunting the parked units, it can work, but the attentive parked cav player can always move their cav away from danger,

as for flag wins, they can happen, but only if your team already won by a landslide.

overall it's really just something unfun to play against, and it defeats one of the porpoises of the gamemode: to command troops

Last edited:
cav parking can be usually done in the early stages of the round, to kill important units, as you mentioned, one of the counters of it would be another cav squad hunting the parked units, it can work, but the attentive parked cav player can always move their cav away from danger,

as for flag wins, they can happen, but only if your team already won by a landslide.

overall it's really just something unfun to play against, and it defeats one of the porpoises of the gamemode: to command troops

It does not require a counter. The team is essentially down one player and get overwhelmed quickly from my experience. This "strategy" wouldn't be a problem with an actual player base with a match making rating because they would quickly reach the bottom (which is ironic given the player thinks himself as a skilled player for beating up computer mobs)

The real problem lies in the sheer boredom it create, see the players on his video complaining and straight out quitting.

It does not require a counter. The team is essentially down one player and get overwhelmed quickly from my experience. This "strategy" wouldn't be a problem with an actual player base with a match making rating because they would quickly reach the bottom (which is ironic given the player thinks himself as a skilled player for beating up computer mobs)
true, whenever a mainly infantry comp faces a comp with cav they can usually just charge their units to speed up the round and prevent the cav parker to ramp up on kills, still that just makes the game unfun, you either charge or get chipped away slowly, no strategy

but I do not think this strategy is only efficient against noob teams, you literally can't pick fianns anymore, half of the cav players do this

Yeah it's incredibly unfun for all other 11 players. I have politely asked one of those to play with us and was essentially told "stfu i can play how i want"
He's not wrong too. So until there is a rule, a insensitive to play correct or a mmr with players I will not play another game of Captain mode despite loving the game mode.

This is a non issue, i love parked cav... they are such easy prey, I ride around the map searching for parked cav and will destroy them, most noob players will only play 1 life in that round because i ended up killing their entire parked cav with my men :grin:

I kind of gave up on captain mode being fun when most people posted in a similar thread I made back in beta about this issue telling me it wasn't an issue.

Captain > Command troops against other players
Literally any other game mode > PVP

Parking your cav off to the side and running in solo as a Catapract one shotting an enemies unit is only so good because the AI is so rubbish. If they could at least deal with one random idiot then that wouldn't be a viable strategy.

Cav Parking has two primary causes:

1. Archers don't effectively fight back against 1 cav commander. Most of the time, the archer player is the only defense against rambo cav, despite having an entire squad of units right next to them and the rambo cav having no nearby allies.

2. Cavalry is incompetent. Because of how strong the player is compared to their units, it's optimal to fight with only the player as much as possible, because cav dying or getting shot while not in player control is a lot of lost value. Cav will most likely miss attacks on targets that their commander is attacking, and will follow behind at a long distance, forcing the cav player to pass through their desired target and then wait for their cav to catch up before attacking again. In captain, the cav player themselves are responsible for the 50%+, usually up to 80%+, of their squad's kills, despite commanding a larger force. In addition, the "charge" command is mostly worthless, because your units will take a 30 second loop before coming back to make one melee attack, and then miss again.

There is counter play to parking cav, such as killing the parked units or always shooting the rambo cav when they're about to swing, but the entire dynamic between players and bots is currently wrong.

Cav parking is fine except when somebody who is not skilled at all does it and refuses to die when they are extremely outnumbered. Also, when playing a pub game many players on the team of the cav parker don't understand that they should be delaying their fight instead of fighting right away.

The real problem lies in the sheer boredom it create, see the players on his video complaining and straight out quitting.
Agree with this... When I see horsegang (who is a great player and will kill lots of people if you sleep on him) it does make me smile inside because it's predictable and I know it's 5v6 if we move fast...

As a beginner fighting someone doing this is demoralising though. I can understand why.. it doesn't make for a glorious strategic ending to the fight... It's more of a drawn out mess... It's usually ends with our morale filling up and ending the fight on time

hunt their cav and kill they will be shocked when they don't respawn, also a good way to goof with ai

Cav parking is fine except when somebody who is not skilled at all does it and refuses to die when they are extremely outnumbered. Also, when playing a pub game many players on the team of the cav parker don't understand that they should be delaying their fight instead of fighting right away.
hunt their cav and kill they will be shocked when they don't respawn, also a good way to goof with ai

Just because something has counter-play doesn't make it good design.

Imagine describing this to someone who doesn't play Bannerlord:

"Oh I play a strategic squad-command game too."
"Cool, what's it like?
"Well, I hide my guys on the other side of the map while I solo rambo the enemy force."

Back
Top Bottom