The implementation of banners and standard bearers

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Banners are coming finally!

MKP4e75.jpg

“Banner Bearers

Alongside Order of Battle, we are working on the Banner Bearer feature, which will allow heroes to bring their banners to battle and have them carried by soldiers within their formation. Not only will this make battles more colorful and visually diverse, but there will also be gameplay effects for the soldiers marching under each banner.”

Banners and standard bearers is one of the features I am most excited about and will greatly improve battlefield immersion with banners gloriously flying over formations and with effects on soldiers marching under them! The purpose of this thread is to dive deeper into the discussion of banner implementation as this is something that is going to happen based on the latest dev update. Let us break it down and look at the possibilities of what this means based on what we know.

“Making battles more colorful and visually diverse”

Does this mean different types/banner shapes for different cultures and will there be multiple colors? I would certainly like to see cultural styled banner types and to use the primary and secondary colors for the troop banners. Having Sturgia banners appear different to Vlandian banners would be very appealing and go one step further to setting cultures apart on the battlefield.

“There will also be gameplay effects for the soldiers marching under each banner.”

Now this is very interesting and could lead to some fun game mechanics where banners could have effects on troop stats that are in formations. Probably mostly morale, but I would not be opposed to other stats getting buffs as well. I would like to see standard banners that have effects and cosmetic banners that random troops carry.

Further thoughts:

Basically the image at the top of the thread has a large banner and multiple smaller pedants/banners, this is how I would really like to see banners portrayed on the battle field if possible.

Army standard bearer – These could be fancy banners like the Dragon Banner that has the stat boost and would only be one for each formation.

Cosmetic Banners – These would be like pedants, streamers, and basic banners that could be the primary or secondary faction color. They would randomly spawn in the ranks of the troops based on some basic setting options. For example 1 out of 10 would carry a cosmetic banner or whatever number the player picks in the option settings. In bear my banner I would use 1 out of 10 and that looked really nice in my opinion, but I can understand if some players would want less.

Cultural and color diverse banners and or units:

Here are some examples of culture and color diversity from a mod that I worked on for Thrones of Britannia a while back.

nDq0uGp.jpg
9fFxzAG.jpg

Art from the Game

C0sRmn7.jpg
n7M6SGW.jpg

What are you guys thoughts?

Last edited:
Yea I hope it isn't just adding the generic banners from that mod in nexus.

The flag models should be different for each faction at least. Like the Empire would have a square eagle standard while the Vlandians would have a triangular-shaped banner, and so on.

You could capture the enemy's banner or they could capture yours.

Yeah I'm also looking forward to how they implement this. The possibilities that come to my mind:
Morale boost
Regroup orders around the bearers
Killing ennemy bearers for boost penalty (should be already the case when killing sergeant and lords)
Capture the banners and exchange it for extra influence/renown
Quests where you have to collect x number of ennemy banners
Pick up the banners on the battlefield for an extra morale and damage boost (with the troops around cheering WHILE attacking)

Really looking forward to this addition.

Would be neat if you could get an artefact when you make your kingdom. e.g. Tug for Khuzaits, dragon banner for Empire, Big ass banner for Aserai with some sort of inscription on it etc..

Also hoping they finally make a proper banner editor that allows more scope for customisation.

After playing Battle Brothers I really liked how the Standard bearers added buffs to your troops. Looking forward to what will be added to Bannerlord, I really think we are heading in the right direction with banners with Standard bearers and also cosmetic banners.

This + npc simulation battle death is what I'm waiting for to start really playing again.

I want troops to have those game art banners that are attached to their spears rather than having their offhand grab a flag instead of a shield
I hope we get both. One large banner per formation and lots of smaller ones or something like that.

This + npc simulation battle death is what I'm waiting for to start really playing again.

I hope we get both. One large banner per formation and lots of smaller ones or something like that.
I agree I would to see a large fancy banner that the standard bearer carries and cosmetic smaller banners that troops carry. The cosmetic banners should be configurable like how they were in the Bear my Banner mod. For example 1 in 10 or 1 in X carry cosmetic banners in the formation. The standard bearer banner could kind of be unique cultural diverse banners like the Dragon banner with each culture having a unique banner. That said there could even be a Royal banner that only the King gets for each faction. There are a lot of options TW has and I hope they bring heavy!

I hope we´ll get them soon, they add so much immersion for me. The banner mods don´t work with the newer versions :sad:

I totally agree since all of the banner mods stopped working I don't want to play battles because they really do add that much to immersion for me.

Imagine if TW ever gets around to adding musicians on the battlefield! Musicians + Banners for me would be a massive win for team immersion!

@Reiksmarshal
Musicians such as hornblowers and drummers would be very cool!

I look forward to banners, for me it would be perfect if they implemented it like in the Bear My Banner Mod:

10 soldiers per banner?

@Reiksmarshal
Musicians such as hornblowers and drummers would be very cool!

10 soldiers per banner?

That was one of the configuable settings in in the late Bear my Banner mod.

So for every 10 sodiers 1 banner would spawn in the formation, so if you had 100 soldiers total there would spawn 10 total banners in the formation. This should be a custom setting to allow players to pick the of banners, for me 1 to ten was really nice as it made counting the enemey troops at a glance without having look in the menus plus it looked glorious!

Medieval 2 had some cool banners, just wasn't a fan of the floating banners. Looks way better when troops carry the banners.

As for musicains they would blow their horns to player issued commands for the formation. Trappings of war always add to the battle immersion and are under rated by game devs. The devs at TW should have a different view being in Turkey as the Ottomans were masters of battlefield war musicians.

8-2444_1.jpg

Last edited:
Fingers crossed. I hope standard bearers carry banners in their left hands leaving a sword arm for fighting. The last thing I want to see are large banners holstered on a standard bearer's back while they fire a bow. Japanese Sashimino are fine for backs, but other banners look weird. Far better anchored by a syrup cup and an arm loop, if they must be carried hands free.

Fingers crossed. I hope standard bearers carry banners in their left hands leaving a sword arm for fighting. The last thing I want to see are large banners holstered on a standard bearer's back while they fire a bow. Japanese Sashimino are fine for backs, but other banners look weird. Far better anchored by a syrup cup and an arm loop, if they must be carried hands free.
Don't forget that we also don't want polearms held in the right hand while the standard is waved in the left. :lol:

wp8zH.jpg

??

---
I almost forgot... the guys from Dell'arte della guerra have already been experimenting. Taleworlds have once again set the bar high :iamamoron: ?.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom