The Idea of Partial Clan Independence - True Vassal Clans

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I was thinking today about how it would be good if there was a ' halfway house' between being a signed up member of a faction carrying their banner and breaking away to full autonomy - making your own kingdom.

It would be great to be able to negotiate some partial degree of independence from a faction (having served them for years and built up good will).

What I mean is being able to say to Derthert or whoever... "Look my old friend and King, I desire my own lands and to fly my own colours ... but I have no wish for conflict with you. Maybe we can come to an arrangement?"

At this point there would be a chance to persuade him ... to let you pay him a monthly fee and treat him as your liege in that respect, but take your castles and villages as your own - under your own banner.

I was thinking of putting this in the suggestion thread - But I also wanted to ask you all in the wider community for your thoughts first? I also don't know if this has been suggested before?

(It's just fairly raw thinking at this stage)

What do you think ?

Yea, but if that faction declares war on another faction, would your kingdom be as well? Or would they only ask you for assistant if they need, and they'll pay you for it?
The second option I think. Asking for your assistance if needed... and paying you for it.

I was thinking today about how it would be good if there was a ' halfway house' between being a signed up member of a faction carrying their banner and breaking away to full autonomy - making your own kingdom.

It would be great to be able to negotiate some partial degree of independence from a faction (having served them for years and built up good will).

What I mean is being able to say to Derthert or whoever... "Look my old friend and King, I desire my own lands and to fly my own colours ... but I have no wish for conflict with you. Maybe we can come to an arrangement?"

At this point there would be a chance to persuade him ... to let you pay him a monthly fee and treat him as your liege in that respect, but take your castles and villages as your own - under your own banner.

I was thinking of putting this in the suggestion thread - But I also wanted to ask you all in the wider community for your thoughts first? I also don't know if this has been suggested before?

What do you think ?
But your suggestion entails diplomacy - diplomacy isn't part of the core M&B experience.. :lol:

(Obviously great suggestion though)

Great idea, but if you perhaps start to convince other clans to join you, then relation with their former kingdom should fall significantly. I feel this will help balance.

I don't like the idea, it just have good things... is something good for the player without consequences, absolutely overpowered for my taste.

I understand what you mean... but the money you would pay for this would be a significant cost to the player of course. And you would need a very high relation score with the king before this would even be considered a possibility.

I like the idea of having suzerains as well as subjects, so you could have sort of client-kingdom arrangements. Different grades of vassalage could be useful for creating greater differences between cultures too. Imperials could be very strict and centralised, Battanian clans could operate more like semi-independent tribes etc.

i'd like it if the vassal system was more fleshed out. maybe multiple tiers... kings, dukes, counts, landless lords and make it so when a duke forms his army only his vassals join. that way the player could ascend the ranks within the kingdom by amassing fiefs and vassals. and if you're powerful, you can tell your king to shove it when he wants to go to war and just protect yourself and your vassals. I generally would like to see more intra-kingdom politics and more peace time to be filled with arranging marriages, holding tournaments and hunts, squashing some rebels, etc.

i'd like it if the vassal system was more fleshed out. maybe multiple tiers... kings, dukes, counts, landless lords and make it so when a duke forms his army only his vassals join. that way the player could ascend the ranks within the kingdom by amassing fiefs and vassals. and if you're powerful, you can tell your king to shove it when he wants to go to war and just protect yourself and your vassals. I generally would like to see more intra-kingdom politics and more peace time to be filled with arranging marriages, holding tournaments and hunts, squashing some rebels, etc.
It really needs expanded on and there really needs to be some kind of difference between the other vassals, it would really make bringing in new clans fun with offering them to become a duke if they were just a count in their other realm. I would really also like if we could have inter kingdom vassal wars. Were I could fight someone from my own kingdom to take their land when we are not at war.

I would like the idea to be able to make a minor faction first before my own kingdom. Or being able to form an actually mercenary company not just being contracted. It would add another level before becoming a vassal or starting your own kingdom.

Judging from everyone's posts and reactions, this seems to be quite a decent suggestion then.

Hi there @Piconi, could you do me a favour and move this over to the suggestions thread? Sorry to be a pain. I just posted it in general discussion to get some feedback first.

Last edited:

What do you think ?
Isn't this just being a vassal? A feudal vassal.

I think it's a good idea. An option to leave with fiefs if you have high relations with the ruling clan, or some other way would be good.
The alternative often creates a sudden power vacuum when the player goes to war with thier prior faction and is forced to beat them into submission.
You can pay for peace but often the price when you dump a faction is unreasonable high at first, so it make sense too at least defeat the faction until you've made enough money of loot and ransoms to cover the peace. The damage the player can do to a faction can really throw of the power balance in the world, especially if it's a more vulnerable faction (Empires, sometimes sturgia) who's been depending on the player for protection.

Back
Top Bottom