The Hunt for Newrigtober

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new rig for gaming/video editing (ideally under $1500 USD). I would still be playing older games like Empire: Total War, Mount and Blade WB, and likely newer ones like M&B Bannerlord (if it's ever released).

Would it be notably cheaper to buy my own chassis and build one, or buy one? If the latter, what do you guys think is the best "bang" for the buck?

edit: I wrote this up without realizing your post was from May. I'll leave what I wrote anyways.

Video editing? I don't know about that. You probably want to look up benchmarks for your preferred program if possible. Ryzen processors perform comparably to Intel extreme 6-cores in Premiere Pro CC but can be noticeably slower at warp stabilization.

Puget Systems Adobe Premiere Pro CC review of Ryzen versus 6+ core Intel processors said:
Compared to the 6-8 core "High End" Intel CPUs, the two Ryzen CPUs we tested fared pretty well. They should be pretty much on par with the Core i7 6850K for exporting and rendering previews (for about $100-200 cheaper as well), but are on average around 30% slower for warp stabilize. If you use warp stabilize in your projects, that is likely going to be the tipping point where you should definitely use a i7 6850K over the Ryzen CPUs.

As for cost it will probably be cheaper to build your own. Put a GTX 1070 or 1080 with your choice of processor and whatever storage and RAM options are appropriate for video editing. It should game fine. But be warned about Ryzen: there are some issues with RAM compatibility, and potentially other stuff which I don't know about, because the Ryzen processors are fairly new. It mostly occurs with high mhz kits. Make sure you keep up to date with your motherboard BIOS updates too. Usually, it's not that important for performance, but there have been reported performance gains from BIOS updates because of how new Ryzen is.

Back
Top Bottom