LSP Medieval 2D Art The Historic Lords Project (Volume 2 Released)

Users who are viewing this thread

matmohair1 said:
thick1988 said:
Knight_Marine said:
Yes those will look nice. If you also make some Kings you should do King Richard the lionheart.

Find me a reference image, relatively period accurate, that you'd like me to use as inspiration.
Crusader%20Knight.gif

picture1wn.png

um_1194_richard_loewenherz.jpg

picture1tt.png

506842348_2bda55eaa4.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg
Medieval-Tournaments-Seal.jpg

rghdsc.png

Picture7.png

zpage167.gif

Very interesting! I have never seen such a helmet before. This will be a fun job I think, it will take time though :smile:

Thanks!

thick1988 said:
So, as an example here is the first preview.
williamdouglas.gif
Sir James Douglas (also known as Good Sir James and the Black Douglas), (circa 1286 – 25 August 1330), was a Scottish soldier, knight and commander during the Scottish Wars of Independence.
Inspiration:
Douglas-Knight.gif
James Douglas

beautiful work per se, but this is not Jamie.  The heart motif was only incorporated in the Douglas arms & livery after the death of Sir James, since at that point he was carrying the embalmed heart of Robert I in a cask around his neck - Robert having taken an oath to crusade, and fight the heathen occupiers of Christian lands.  Dying before he could do so, he burdened Douglas with his heart to go crusading and thus it was that Sir James died in battle against Iberian Moors, with the heart of a dead Scottish King on his person.

The Douglas family subsequently added the 'bloody heart' to their livery.

Those are great reference images for Wallace, Bruce, and E. Bruce. I will have to try those out. Thanks!

Also, in regards to Douglas, do you think the image I used as inspiration could be a later member of the family?

Yes sorry about those images before, when it comes to medieval times i only read about the great battles and knights etc... but i don't pay too much attention to the actual lords and other kings (i know most of the English kings.)

@matmohair interesting stuff you got there.

Great job thick, how many lords are you planning to make?

thick1988 said:
Also, in regards to Douglas, do you think the image I used as inspiration could be a later member of the family?

:?: Archibald Douglas - Battle of Halidon Hill, 1333

picture1psf.png

Knight_Marine said:
@matmohair interesting stuff you got there.
:wink: glad to be of assistance - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse
& there's always more where that came from ... 

002.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

edrtrty.png

wsedrtfgh.png

Andrew de Chauvigny

002rrm.jpg
150px-Blason_Guy_II_de_Chauvigny_%28selon_Gelre%29.svg.png

erdtfyg.png

Hartmann Von Aue

img737.jpg
Hartmann-von-Aue.jpg

adjxi.jpg

Robert Fitzwalter

img785k.jpg

800px-Britishmuseumrobertfitzwalterseal.jpg

img783.jpg

Pierre de Amiens

003.jpg

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20002.JPG

Simon de Montfort, 5th Earl of Leicester

img781.jpg

img777i.jpg

img780.jpg

Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester

Simon_de_Montfort_bas-relief_in_the_U.S._House_of_Representatives_chamber.jpg

Simon_Leicester.jpg
200px-Armoiries_seigneurs_Montfort.svg.png

Montfort_Evesham.jpg

0034c1bea6.jpg

img778b.jpg

Medieval_Military_Dress7_1066_1500.jpg

picture1klg.png

Der Tannhäuser

001mrj.jpg

picture1ot.png

Codex_Manesse_Tannh%C3%A4user.jpg

Peter, Duke of Brittany & William, Earl of Salisbury

img766.jpg

weedrfds.png

001olz.jpg

Almaric de Saint Amand

p012119-002336.jpg
192a17be-4e8c-4c82-9a91-ffb236a0e56a-3.jpg

2006%20MCS%20Elsing%20St%20Mary%20the%20Virgin%20Almaric%20St%20Amand%20Lord%20St%20Amand%201340%2078.jpg

welscot2.png
astamand_3bsta.gif

Excellent sources and imagery!! I had searched for the Montforts for a long time

I knew there was a reason I subscribed to you on Scrib.  :lol:

I plan on releasing the packs of lords in volumes of 15. At least thats my initial plan.

I really love creating and trying to replicate these figures of history and will likely continue for a long while. By reproducing these people and their gear it will create a great base of open source items which modders can use or tweak.

thick1988 said:
By reproducing these people and their gear it will create a great base of open source items which modders can use or tweak.

Yes, very good to hear  :grin:

I think the osprey one depicts him in civilian garb. Im sure he would don his knightly armor for battle. Yes I can do Reynald for you. I need to investigate cloaks to add to the surcoat.

thick1988 said:
templar.jpg

I mean like this ^^^
The cloak over the surcoat.

I always doubt the practicality of that combination.  If it were me, I would remove the cloak at the first hint of combat - its only going to tangle your arms, scabbard, bowstring, spearshaft.... you name it.

Maybe a nice 'civilian' garb when visiting castles/towns etc

Amman de Stazia said:
thick1988 said:
templar.jpg

I mean like this ^^^
The cloak over the surcoat.

I always doubt the practicality of that combination.  If it were me, I would remove the cloak at the first hint of combat - its only going to tangle your arms, scabbard, bowstring, spearshaft.... you name it.

Maybe a nice 'civilian' garb when visiting castles/towns etc

Yes, definitely not combat worthy. Makes me think of Chandos and his "slipping and falling" on his robes which ultimately led to him being stabbed in the face.

Amman de Stazia said:
on a side note - are you doing warhorse robes to match?
(question inspired by Matmohairs latest images)

I would like to, yes. Although I haven't done any as of yet. Once I have all the lords done for the first volume, I may go back and do some barded warhorses.

Back
Top Bottom