SP - Player, NPCs & Troops The Great Poll about textile Colour

Users who are viewing this thread

The use of color on the battlefield is well documented. The highly saturated artificial dyes as depicted in some of the images in this thread simply did not exist during the dark and middle ages. The colors should be a lot less saturated to be even remotely believable (NOT like the highly-saturated primary blue color in the previous post), but there SHOULD be a lot of colorful clothing, emblems, tabards, banners, and other items. The majority of the clothing shown so far looks too dark and depressing; there should be more natural off-white cloth (linen, wool, or cotton), a lot of it dyed in somewhat muted or slightly pastel shades.

The official faction color should be used by a lot of troops of the better-organized factions, particularly by their higher-paid professional troops, with far less uniformity among the loosely organized tribal factions or the conscripted levies.

As pointed out, Rome reserved the color purple for its ruling elite. The senators were allowed a narrow strip of purple on their togas, the emperor was permitted unlimited use of the color. True blue dyes were also rather hard to come by in the past (before the 1700s), so you'd rarely see it used for military uniforms where it would require significant quantities of blue dye, although it became fairly common by the 1800s.
This kind of sums it up nicely. While the 'Hollywood color scheme' would be ridiculous imo, the use of colors could do with a bit less saturation, I agree. The game is inspired by quite a broad timeframe though, so less and more saturated colors, and the amount of colors can differ a lot between factions, clans, and troop types themselves even. All the same color is a no go I think though, parts of the clothing would be colored, but high status lords and knights would have had painted armor during the middle ages, so I wouldn't mind seeing those in game with colored armors, as long as they don't appear as 'my little pony lookalikes' :wink:
On the other hand, I'm quite sure there will be a plethora of mods about the colors and appearance of troops in no time, and since you can't please everyone, ever, with a game when it comes to the apparel of the characters in it, I wouldn't worry to much :smile:

The colours are much better looking than in some demonstrations, so I now think it's all right to colour the units cloth items according to faction. It does help a lot, as troops of the same culture end up fighting for different factions often.

What I'd still like though, is some distinction between clans by simple heraldic patterns.

It's true that the colors have been washed out a bit in recent builds. However, is this enough?

I think it's enough. The Imperial purple is still too much but the saturation of colours on clothes has gone a long way.

But I'd still like it if different clans and families had different colour patterns, in a similar way as you overlaid some time ago. One main colour and two or three wildcard colours. Maybe:

VLANDIA: Red, White, Gold, Black

STURGIA: Blue, White, Black, Gold

ASERAI: Gold, Red, White, Green

KHUZAIT: Turquoise, Red, White, Gold

BATTANIA: Green, White, Blue, Red

EMPIRE: Purple, Gold, Red, White

Back
Top Bottom