The "Get on Hildileikr" Day! (Next: 13th September; other dates in first post)

Users who are viewing this thread

Goal:
Enabling the player base to have a weekly date to play together on the official Hildileikr-Server.

Time:
Normal Day: Sunday; whole day, specifically about 19:00 GMT - Possibility for European & American Players to play together.
If there is a Shieldwall/Historical Event: Wednesday; whole day no emphasize on time.

Next Dates:
Sunday 13th September
Sunday 20th September
Sunday 27th September
Sunday 4th October
Sunday 11th October

Rules:
Standard Vikingr & Hildileikr Rules apply
Team Speak optional but encouraged
Other Rules (e.g. no Cavalry, Archers, only Standard Infantry) will not be enforced.

Administration:
No special administration except official Hildileikr admins.
Decisions (Maps, Bots, Factions) will be taken care of by voting only.

Style of Gameplay:
Open field battle - all tactics are valid if they do not break the rules; no forced dueling.
Game Mode will be Battle; other modes (Conquest, Siege) may be chosen if enough people are online.

Additional Information:
If nobody is online yet, especially on wednesdays, spawn a few Bots and wait for people to arrive.
For additional enticement, feel free to post in the "Get in the game you big turds!" thread.

I think it's a good idea. It'd be hard to make the day and time suit everyone though. One could also consider having this on the Sundays that are not used for Shieldwall Events.

As much as I like the SWEs, I miss the days of normal play on Hrafnabjóðr and Hildileikr.

I think it would be a great idea and I for my part think it might actually be nice to have it within the week. But rather than saying a time we should better say people should come in the late afternoon on the server and teamspeak and you can expect to meet some people then. Having a set time would be a bit hard for many people who have to work, go to school and do other stuff.

Nice to hear the encouragement and ideas. :smile:

Here's what I'm thinking atm:

Normal Day: Sunday; whole day, but specifically about 19:00 GMT - This way Europeans and Americans can play together without separation.
If there is a Shieldwall/Historical Event: Wednesday; whole day (come whenever you like, leave wehenever you like).

Rules:
Other Rules (e.g. no Cavalry, Archers, only Standard Infantry) can either be discussed beforehand or in game if necessary.

Administration:
No special administration except official Hildileikr admins. For eventually needed out of game coordination I would present myself.

Style of Gameplay:
Open field battle - all tactics are valid if not otherwise negotiated.
Sometimes special events/types of gameplay can be held during previously specified times.

Sounds good to everyone in general?

I'd say if on a Sunday do it earlier as in Europe there are also other timezones and it could be late for our east european friends.

I think that, rather than aim for any sort of event-like special rules, most people would prefer to just bring back casual play with the default rules.

Also, maybe the server monitor could be brought back? I always felt it's a double-edged sword, but it might help.

I agree, Hróþa, I'd personally prefer the casual standard public-play for this. About the server monitor, on the one side it encourages people to get on if it's already populated, but it might discourage people from "starting" the server if it's empty (they won't bother to start the game even).

The events can easily be cut out of the Idea and maybe I'll make what I have in mind a separate instance later down the road. :wink:

I picked 19:00 since that is the established time for the Shieldwall and Historical Events. Thought it best for the consistency as well as the fact that 19:00 GMT should be around 2-4 PM for Americans. I think the earliest, viable time would be 18:00 GMT.

Well, back when we had some decent amount of people on we would sometimes have a few rounds of siege or other game mode if people were up for it. It requires an admin to be present though, which leads to the fact that the Hildileikr admin list is a bit thin now.

Just use the standard public rules. Let anything like shieldwalls happen organically and be the exception, not the rule.

Faenwulf said:
Normal Day: Sunday; whole day, but specifically about 19:00 GMT - This way Europeans and Americans can play together without separation.
If there is a Shieldwall/Historical Event: Wednesday; whole day (come whenever you like, leave wehenever you like).

That'd be exactly noon for me on Sunday. Wouldn't be able to make the Wednesdays though, but that's fine.
In favor. I think it'd be good.

For what it's worth, we had some nice games with a decent-sized crowd this evening. Very often it's simply a case of people wanting to play but assuming no one else does.

Yeah, this evening was a ncie change of pace compared to the usual bot games or with 1-2 people. And the "assuming no one else does" is what I am aiming at annihilating at least a bit with this idea. :wink:

Modified information:
Goal:
Enabling the player base to have a weekly date to play together on the official Hildileikr-Server.

Time:
Normal Day: Sunday; whole day, specifically about 19:00 GMT - Possibility for European & American Players to play together.
If there is a Shieldwall/Historical Event: Wednesday; whole day no emphasize on time.

Next Date: Sunday 24th May

Rules:
Other Rules (e.g. no Cavalry, Archers, only Standard Infantry) will not be enforced.

Administration:
No special administration except official Hildileikr admins.
Decisions (Maps, Bots, Factions) will be taken care of by voting only.

Style of Gameplay:
Open field battle - all tactics are valid if they do not break the rules; no forced dueling.
Game Mode will be Battle; other modes (Conquest, Siege) may be chosen if enough people are online.

Additional Information:
If nobody is online yet, especially on wednesdays, spawn a few Bots and wait for people to arrive.
For additional enticement, feel free to post in the "Get in the game you big turds!" thread.

Nice idea, I support this entirely. Though being in an awkward time zone while also being a person who works night shift means that the time of day that I'm around is always out of place in comparison to other people, and results in me logging on at around midnight, or 5 am EST, and I guarantee people are not likely to be playing then.

Back
Top Bottom