SP Other The Gathering Storm - A Wheel of Time Mod (Beta) Latest Version: V0.2.7d

Users who are viewing this thread

I havent been able to recreate the error since during my random escapades I havent been able to find a bandit infested town again.

Fighting trollocs is sooooo  satisfying tho

Wetland bandits. That's what they are about.
mb29r.jpg
mb28.jpg
mb26v.jpg

No ranged weapons, no horsemen and not even armor or weapons. They don't stand a chance even if I'm alone. It would be nice to have a little more difficult bandits or deserters when character has leveled a bit (or maybe there are some but I haven't yet spotted them)

Trolloc bandits are great, I just wish that they would go little more to the south so that going to the... the... (I don't remember the name) Evil Land wouldn't be so easy. (or maybe it's the low lvl char again)

I went straight for the trollocs soon has my army was leveled enough. Much more exciting then the random bandits, who after fighting trollocs, were not even a fight. my army cut through them like butter  :mrgreen:

Tumetsu: The Blight is where the trollocs are, but you can sometimes find them farther south. I was camped in Andor and I got attacked by close to 60 of them. Not fun when your party's just lost a lot of guys to a siege. But, of course, the wetlanders are soft, so they're nice target dummies.

Kotton: Definitely. If you feel particularly brave, lucky or suicidal, stand beside a dragkhar (sp?) for a few seconds and see what happens  :twisted:
plus, the darkfriends are some of the nastiest channelers to ride up against. crumble your army from the inside with Compulsion.

Yeah, I got hit with a few spells during a fight with graendal and my health just steadily dropped, which resulted in a series of loud curse words until I died :cry:

Perrin:
I think you have to do something special to host a multiplayer game on your computer and have it show up on the official server list.  I haven't gotten that to work yet.  I haven't tried chatting since I've only done multiplayer on this mod by myself.  :smile:

Tumetsu:
The bandits you are fighting are the Dragonsworn.  They are supposed to have strength in numbers, but without ranged or cavalry, it appears channeling tears them apart.  I'll look into adding some horses and archers to their ranks.  I could probably add another Marauding Trolloc spawnpoint further south also.

Kotton:
A good Borderland army will walk over most other forces.  If you find battles are getting too easy, you could try using only Southlander or Seanchan troops, or use less channeling.  Unfortunately, sometimes you can just sit on a hill and fireball an enemy army to ash while they slowly advance in their super long battle line.  I wish computer AI was better.  Why make the line when your army has 150, and the enemy (me) has 30?  Just charge already.

Yeah, if you fight any of the Forsaken early on, expect to be shielded and then beat on... unless you brought good troops.  Breaking out of a shield that was woven by a stronger channeler is hard.  Like a 1 in 10 chance.

Also, has anyone been using Two River's longbowmen? Or Red Hand Fast Crossbowmen?  Just wondering if you think they are too powerful.  (I realize with the recruitment problems most of you probably don't have a lot of Legion troops in your armies.)  I need to find a solution for that.

Lorenzogarch/Kotton:
Kotton,
If your health dropped very quickly and you were dead in say 2 or 3 seconds, then you just had your first date with a Draghkar.  If it was slower, then it may have been a combo of the new bind spell and/or burn over time from fire.  It can be hard to see what all is affecting you if you are on a horse.  Draghkar kiss gives a red aura, bind is white, and fire is... well fire.  There is no cure for Draghkar kiss, the others can be unraveled and healed.

Lorenzogarch,
You are a bad influence... telling Kotton to go stand by Draghkar.  :smile:

Must have been a draghkar then lmao. I dont recall Seeing or using any two river's longbowmen or red hand fast crossbowmen, I dont use any type of archers myself, Nor do I pay much attention of what Im charging into which proooobably isnt a good idea :roll:

Hey, the mod is great!  :grin: I first tried the multiplayer part (with bots) and there are only minor things such as slowdowns when there's a lot of channelers, but it's not a big deal...also, it's somehow confusing with so many troops for bots - maybe you could divide them in more factions or something like that (though it's not a big deal because I guess it is different with real players), and there are still banners of Swadia, Khergits etc.
Also, I noticed a bug with "Lady" Arymilla (was in Cairhien) - she is male  :grin: and retained some parts of dialog from Dustum Khan (Khergit claimant)...  :???:
Maybe it would be clearer if the factions would be divided (but I haven't read all WoT books, so I don't know if it would be proper story-wise) because it would allow for more troop trees...
Either way, I think this mod has some bright future  :smile: and I will certainly follow it and test it...if you need any help tell me...I don't know much of module system, but I could learn it...
Best wishes

Dragonsworns I was fighting are like looters in Native and I can kill any number of them without channeling if I have horse and some kind of melee weapon. No, numbers doesn't matter so much. They don't even join other Dragonsworns' battles (bug?) like others do, for example in the pic  posted there were four of them plus the one I had just killed and I had to fight every one of them individually.

I tried multiplayer too and I must say it wouldn't work if there is only humans playing. What is the point of being Shienar Borderguard with heaviest possible armor if any Aes Sedai can Baelfire you anytime. I got crazy k/d ratios as different channelers and I mostly died only when I wanted to try different class of faction. No horses for channelers might be a good idea. At least a little balance...

Also, has anyone been using Two River's longbowmen? Or Red Hand Fast Crossbowmen?  Just wondering if you think they are too powerful.  (I realize with the recruitment problems most of you probably don't have a lot of Legion troops in your armies.)  I need to find a solution for that.
I wanted to train my own Red Hand army but yeah, it's very difficult when you have only one village so I went and joined Seanchans instead. I tried the Fast Crossbow in MP and the rate of fire is something insane. I bet it can shoot faster than normal bows. AI most likely doesn't use it so fast though.

Edit: A few pictures

mb45i.jpg
mb46l.jpg
mb47.jpg

mb41.jpg

mb48.jpg
mb49h.jpg
mb50.jpg
mb51.jpg

Mat: It's good to know your limitations.  :grin: As to the Two Rivers lads, they're really strong, but they get killed lots when the enemy is close. I'd say it makes them pretty balanced. They're like really accurate Channelers that don't do splash damage. I've not tried the Red Hand crossbowmen, since I'm not really a crossbow guy, but I've seen what they can do. Less accurate but tougher than the Two Rivers men.

Kotton: The Two Rivers longbowmen are the best in the game in my opinion. If you're raiding a hideout or fighting in the streets/castle, it's always great to have at least a few with you.

Tumetsu: The Dragonsworn are kind of insane with their bases, plus they are really easy to wipe out. Take on the Aiel for a challenge. Sieging them is pretty close to suicide, seeing as all of their troops are made to work without cavalry and they have channelers.

Negro of Serbia said:
Hey, the mod is great!  :grin: I first tried the multiplayer part (with bots) and there are only minor things such as slowdowns when there's a lot of channelers, but it's not a big deal...also, it's somehow confusing with so many troops for bots - maybe you could divide them in more factions or something like that (though it's not a big deal because I guess it is different with real players), and there are still banners of Swadia, Khergits etc.
Also, I noticed a bug with "Lady" Arymilla (was in Cairhien) - she is male  :grin: and retained some parts of dialog from Dustum Khan (Khergit claimant)...  :???:
Maybe it would be clearer if the factions would be divided (but I haven't read all WoT books, so I don't know if it would be proper story-wise) because it would allow for more troop trees...
Either way, I think this mod has some bright future  :smile: and I will certainly follow it and test it...if you need any help tell me...I don't know much of module system, but I could learn it...
Best wishes
Banners for multiplayer are still messed up.  I actually haven't made any new banners for the mod.  And there are a lot of duplicates now.  I have gotten a bit of feedback that the factions have a lot of troops, but I sort of did that on purpose.  I wanted to avoid the 20+ smaller factions that would have been needed in order to represent all the different countries.  The troop tree is a little confusing, but I'll try to post it soon so you all can look over what is actually going on.

Thanks for offering to help.  Just testing and giving feedback (both good and bad) is probably the simplest way you can help.  I think it could be challenging to try to learn the module system and how I've added to it/changed it at the same time, but if there is a certain part of the game you would like to work on, let me know.  There is a huge opportunity for scening, but that is something that isn't absolutely necessary to still play the mod and have fun.

Tumetsu said:
Dragonsworns I was fighting are like looters in Native and I can kill any number of them without channeling if I have horse and some kind of melee weapon. No, numbers doesn't matter so much. They don't even join other Dragonsworns' battles (bug?) like others do, for example in the pic  posted there were four of them plus the one I had just killed and I had to fight every one of them individually.

I tried multiplayer too and I must say it wouldn't work if there is only humans playing. What is the point of being Shienar Borderguard with heaviest possible armor if any Aes Sedai can Baelfire you anytime. I got crazy k/d ratios as different channelers and I mostly died only when I wanted to try different class of faction. No horses for channelers might be a good idea. At least a little balance...

I wanted to train my own Red Hand army but yeah, it's very difficult when you have only one village so I went and joined Seanchans instead. I tried the Fast Crossbow in MP and the rate of fire is something insane. I bet it can shoot faster than normal bows. AI most likely doesn't use it so fast though.

Edit: A few pictures

mb45i.jpg
mb46l.jpg
mb47.jpg

mb41.jpg

mb48.jpg
mb49h.jpg
mb50.jpg
mb51.jpg
I'm not sure why Dragonsworn don't help eachother out.  I thought I just changed their name and what types of troops will spawn.  I may have messed up some of their flags that determine aggressiveness accidentally.

Possibly I also messed up something else that is making their lairs spawn like mad.

Yeah... Bandar Eban, and some town in the south (Ebou Dar maybe) will be screwed up when you siege it.  That was some sort of glitch.  You can tell if you enter the city like normal that I 'fixed' the terrain level.  I'll have to add that to the fix list.

Red Hand fast crossbows should be just a little slower than longbows.  RJ said something like, a two rivers long bow could shoot 10 times a minute, the fast crossbow, was 6 times, and the normal crossbow was more like 2 times.  Obviously, those speeds aren't quite accurate to the mod, but I want to make it obvious that fast crossbows were a large advantage.

And you are doing an awesome job of finding and recording bugs.  And the spoilers are almost like a comic strip.  You just need to polish up the words.

"Finally, we have found their lair... now we will finish them once and for all!"  "Uh, Captain, don't look now, but I think we are surrounded..."  "Silence you foo... ... oh crap!"
(actually yours was better)

That and...

"Stupid sappers, I told them to fill in the moat, but this is going too far!"

I dunno, multiplayer may be a flop in real life, however channelers are easy to kill, and they need gold to have a decent regen rate.  And... if they die, when they respawn their stamina will be where it was when they died. (+/- 5 seconds of regen time)  I mainly did multiplayer so my brother could host bot-wars.

lorenzogarch said:
Mat: It's good to know your limitations.  :grin: As to the Two Rivers lads, they're really strong, but they get killed lots when the enemy is close. I'd say it makes them pretty balanced. They're like really accurate Channelers that don't do splash damage. I've not tried the Red Hand crossbowmen, since I'm not really a crossbow guy, but I've seen what they can do. Less accurate but tougher than the Two Rivers men.

Kotton: The Two Rivers longbowmen are the best in the game in my opinion. If you're raiding a hideout or fighting in the streets/castle, it's always great to have at least a few with you.

Tumetsu: The Dragonsworn are kind of insane with their bases, plus they are really easy to wipe out. Take on the Aiel for a challenge. Sieging them is pretty close to suicide, seeing as all of their troops are made to work without cavalry and they have channelers.

I think the Two Rivers lads are good, but I may need to tone down the Fast Crossbow wind speed.  By the animation, it looks like those guys will have back trouble after a few long battles.

All in all, you guys probably all have logged more time playing the mod than I have.  I have about 3 hours of real play-time.  Maybe that was bad form on my part, but if you are having fun and are willing to report some of the errors as you go, then I guess it's an good situation for all of us.

Thanks all for your comments!
mat

I remembered how fun bug-hunting is :smile: Also this mod gives me ideas like crazy, I actually started to write them down before I forget them.
[quote author=My notes]Heron Mark Blade - Quest
It would be cool to have some sort of quest in order to win the Heron Mark for yourself. Maybe Tournaments or arena could be used somehow. Winning one guy in single duel would be too easy though

Siege bug <=> Praven
I'm sure I have seen that bug somewhere else too, maybe it was Diplomacy and the town was Praven then

Shield+Channeling?
It is supposed to be possible to use shield while channeling? Now I can shoot fireballs and keep my shield up at the same time.

Tactic - Shienar guys fast level with Dragonsworns
In fact I found great use for those Dragonsworn bandits. I noticed that Shienar recruits can be upgraded to very tough cavalry and so I visited all the westernmost Borderland villages and collected ~50 recruits. I then went back to Arad Doman and bandits (70-150 men parties) started to attack me and get slaughtered. Every party gave some 2,5k experience and I trained 30 Shienar Captains within a day :twisted:

Fireball - Freeze
Should freeze dispel fireball effect and other way around?

Due to channeling thing after taverns and stuff?
I'm not sure but I think I got that bonus exp after channeling not-in-battle like taverns, castles or similar

River crossing points in world map
It's difficult to plan any longer route when I don't know where I can cross rivers. Is it possible to mark them somehow, not necessarily with bridges

Too few archers
Like it says. Also due to that three-upgrades-and-still-peasant -thing AI is using a lot of recruits. I think I saw some Andor army of 120 with 80 same type of peasants.

One Power out of ammo
I have few times (usually after hurling fireballs non-stop) found a situation when I can't channel even when the mana thing is full again.

Lord Defect thing like in Books
An idea. Would it be possible to force lords to change faction like they do in books.

Village's culture change code
In Blood&Steel you can build a training facility to a village and change for example Rhodok village to give Nord recruits.[/quote]

Tumetsu said:
Shield+Channeling?
It is supposed to be possible to use shield while channeling? Now I can shoot fireballs and keep my shield up at the same time.

One Power out of ammo
I have few times (usually after hurling fireballs non-stop) found a situation when I can't channel even when the mana thing is full again.
Yeah, that ter'angreal is somekind of pistol looking like a dagger, methinks.
Personally I'd like to see the dagger replaced by a glowing bit of air or something, and the reticule removed.
Now it feels like I'm 'shooting out of my dagger'.

But that's just me.

Tumetsu said:
I remembered how fun bug-hunting is :smile: Also this mod gives me ideas like crazy, I actually started to write them down before I forget them.
[quote author=My notes]Heron Mark Blade - Quest
It would be cool to have some sort of quest in order to win the Heron Mark for yourself. Maybe Tournaments or arena could be used somehow. Winning one guy in single duel would be too easy though

Siege bug <=> Praven
I'm sure I have seen that bug somewhere else too, maybe it was Diplomacy and the town was Praven then

Shield+Channeling?

Tactic - Shienar guys fast level with Dragonsworns
In fact I found great use for those Dragonsworn bandits. I noticed that Shienar recruits can be upgraded to very tough cavalry and so I visited all the westernmost Borderland villages and collected ~50 recruits. I then went back to Arad Doman and bandits (70-150 men parties) started to attack me and get slaughtered. Every party gave some 2,5k experience and I trained 30 Shienar Captains within a day :twisted:

Fireball - Freeze
Should freeze dispel fireball effect and other way around?

Due to channeling thing after taverns and stuff?
I'm not sure but I think I got that bonus exp after channeling not-in-battle like taverns, castles or similar

River crossing points in world map
It's difficult to plan any longer route when I don't know where I can cross rivers. Is it possible to mark them somehow, not necessarily with bridges

Too few archers
Like it says. Also due to that three-upgrades-and-still-peasant -thing AI is using a lot of recruits. I think I saw some Andor army of 120 with 80 same type of peasants.

One Power out of ammo

Lord Defect thing like in Books
An idea. Would it be possible to force lords to change faction like they do in books.

Village's culture change code
In Blood&Steel you can build a training facility to a village and change for example Rhodok village to give Nord recruits.
[/quote]
Again, good suggestions.

Praven = Bandar Eban, so I think that's probably why the error is there.  I might try to sub in v1.134 villages and terrain code and see if that solves it.

Channeling is a firearm weapon w/ a crossbow animation.  So, you can probably still use a shield.

Any time you channel, it will update your channeling proficiency global variable which should cause you to get some additional xp.

I knew you'd find a use for those Dragonsworn.  I'll have to give them a small number of stronger troops so they aren't quite so exploitable.  Still Shienar heavy cavalry will dominate almost anything on the open field.

Maybe I could make a map icon for a ferry or something and place it at the 'shallows' river crossings.  You should remember the one by Taren Ferry from the books.

If I can get the recruit thing figured out, hopefully that will solve the issue with tons of infantry and not enough archers.

Out of power ammo.  You must have been chain casting because you should have seen a message that says, "You are about to run out of ammo, press 'I' to recharge."  Actually, you don't really have ammo.  For some reason, the game will let the channeling code run about 130 times per battle even though you have no ammo.  Then it will start throwing the 'out of ammo' error.  Just press 'I' and then exit the inventory screen to be able to channel again.

Several lords do defect like in the books.  By the time you've played 120 days, all the coded in city/lord faction changes should have occurred.  For example, King Darlin will leave the Southlander Alliance and join the Legion of the Dragon.

Verbeek:
If you are using V0.2.3 of the mod, then all channelers shouldn't be holding daggers any more.  They should actually be holding really small cuendillar disks.  You probably won't be able to see them, but it will be obvious when you check your inventory.

I'm not sure if you can remove the reticule for a ranged weapon.

mat2rivs said:
Out of power ammo.  You must have been chain casting because you should have seen a message that says, "You are about to run out of ammo, press 'I' to recharge."  Actually, you don't really have ammo.  For some reason, the game will let the channeling code run about 130 times per battle even though you have no ammo.  Then it will start throwing the 'out of ammo' error.  Just press 'I' and then exit the inventory screen to be able to channel again.
Out of power ammo. - once i counted how much MAXIMUM of bolts you can fire and its... 255 bolts ... so 5000 its=modulo(5000)256=5000-[whole part of (5000/256)]*256=136 that you have :sad:
so if you want really infinite ammo you need to put "Connection to the Source" weapon+"one power" ammo and after second or two (or after each shoot) to put this string:
(agent_refill_ammo,":shooter"),
it does matter on sieges because there you have not inventory

Can i request to change flight model of cartridge on something else( after longish attacks on pack enemies there remain forest of long blurish spears of one power :lol:)

@mat Tnx for the reply, I will continue to test when I have time, and report anything I find that needs correction... By the way, I'll try experimenting with scening and/or module, so if I manage to understand how everything works I'll help you then...
I have an idea, just found this script http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2295 which should allow to "enlist" in a lord's party...take a look at its description and the script itself and see if you want to implement it in this mod...  :idea: It could enable a player to play as individual soldier, not outright captain (up to the moment of decision to abandon the party)...looks like it has some bugs for now and the author made it for M&B, but I guess you could transform it into Warband script just as he says...  :grin:

EDIT: As for the variety of troops in factions, maybe a solution would be to divide those factions, but not into 20+ factions, but by some other criteria (f.e. geographically)...ofcourse, not all of them - some of them...just an idea, don't want to interfere with your vision of this great mod :smile:

What about air shield - it can be weaved like seeker and will follow the channeler and will push out any enemy on some specific range. So unravel will work also on it... For arrows shooting i think only about increasing of armor... But i could not found how(may be equipping with thing that have armor 100/100/100 and that will be unequipped on unraveling). May be two ways: first to put script on cloths that somehow increase armor, second to rise mesh that will physically stop any shoot. As for attacking weave you can put in any of that kind first of all if there is it enemy air shield. If yes - so it would be check: if attacker is more knowledgeable or less that defender on One Power...

-may be on some weaves it may be wise to put agent_set_no_death_knock_down_only because not all weaves are deadly.
-and certainly you were  right - killing of enemies by the weaves shouldn't bring experience( only channeling by itself).

[quote author=My notes]Faction relations
mb91.jpg
I'm currently with Seanchans and it's very stupid that I have higher relations with other factions (not counting Southlanders as I'm at war with them)

Good looking troops/armors
I like what those troops looks like. Especially Andor troops are well made. Good job

Two Cairhien Lancers
mb85.jpg
There are two different Cairhien Lancers in my troop list. They have exactly same stats and equipment but they just are different troops.

Horsemen with pitchforks :smile:
mb88k.jpg
[/quote]

More feedback: Weaves
My current char has now 175 in channeling, I just got shield, so I can't tell about advanced weaves. I haven't fought bigger battles with or against channelers and I don't know what happens then, but this is what I think atm

Fireball - Unchallenged King of Weaves. Reliable, area effect and damage over time, what else we need? Fast firing rate compensates the relatively low damage.

Freeze - Very useful against horses. I can literally disable enemy cavalry in 20 seconds if they stand in a line. It also lasts very long.

Fire Curtain - Can't be fired anywhere like fireball but its bigger area of effect makes it useful when running alone among enemies like I usually do. It's difficult to see, but I think I've seen enemies sometimes run through it unharmed. I defeated Elayne's army of 230 men alone with only that weave so it's quite useful but I still prefer fireball for some reason.

Heal - I'm usually busy burning people to be bothered with healing allies, but it's useful to have this around. Has this maximum range at all?

^These are the weaves I'm actively using

Chain lightning - Unreliable. When it happens to work it's good.

Bind - I use freeze instead because it can slow several enemies at once and continues to work also when they routs.

Unravel - It has probably bigger role in advanced channeler battles. I don't have real uses for this at the moment.

Shield - Haven't yet used this but I guess it will be crucial against channelers

Others - Useless. Blasts can be effective as they scatter the enemy but I think it's more effective to keep them together so my area attacks can hit all of them at once.

Back
Top Bottom