SP Other The Gathering Storm - A Wheel of Time Mod (Beta) Latest Version: V0.2.7d

Users who are viewing this thread

ok i have been playing for a hour or 2 now and just a few things i noticed, im guessing the whole world and stuff is all like a desert because of the dark one's touch or is that a screw up??? and i haven't been to the bad lands yet but on the map its all snowy, is that just the few on the map or is it really all snowy in battles and stuff. just askin would like to get some info back thank you.

Hey all, thanks for the comments.  I would answer them now, but I have work in the morning  :sad:,  so I'll try to get to them tomorrow.

To andristan:
About bare spaces in the map.  I tried to make the map as true to the series as possible.  I used pretty much every villiage that showed up in the Wheel of Time Wiki, and then tried to use the left over Castles and villiages wisely.  It's far from perfect, but all the huge open areas with no villiages are on purpose, caralain grass, haddon mirk, etc, ... the countries that failed and have died out.

Vanilla Bandit hideouts:  I'm not sure why they spawn like mad.  I haven't played Native enough to know how they are supposed to work.  (I played for a few days and then started modding.)  They are a little annoying, but a good way to get gold early on in the game.  I might have to think of a way to use them better.

Thanks for the reminder about those weapons.  I need to remember that any item with the merchanise flag will show up in stores.  Not totally sure about the whole pricing thing.  I've done some work on prices just to make multiplayer work, but unfortunately I might have to revisit it at some point.

To WookieWarlord and Verbeek:
The next version will have multiplayer, but I wasn't able to host it for testing with my brother so I'm not sure if the channeling stuff works when there are multiple human players.  Currently, channeling stamina will recharge faster and faster the more gold you have.  I need to add the same more gold = higher chance of success for draghkar kiss and sul'dam leashing enemy channelers.  ATM, this update is focused mainly on adding multiplayer.  It for sure works to host your own bot-war.

And there are some weird distance differences between single player and multiplayer.  This affects some presentations (current weave and channeling stamina display) and the math that determines some of the weaves.  But, it gets fixed after a time if you have bots.  But, hit tab and it will reset.  Also if you have a lot of bots (50+ on each side) then it will fix itself almost immediately.  Very strange.  Hopefully it doen't kill the chance for real multiplayer.

All non-channeling stuff works fine of course.

To Zelig:
Weaves:
I tried to stay true to the series, so you can't heal yourself.  And I added friendly fire, because well we all know what happened when Rand was using Callandor against the Seanchan in book 8.  It seems like if you torch a huge group of fighting men, then you have to live with burning your own soldiers who were in the pile.  At least you can unravel the fire and then heal.  Unravel... yeah, that one was fun.  You can probably tell if you look at the code for the weave.  It's about 1/3 of the entire magic item code.  So many situations to think about.  Especially once you throw compulsion into the mix.  ...do I really want to break compulsion on this guy?  Was he an ally or enemy before? ...  should I put out the fire?  Stop seeker, etc.  good times...  The first time I balefired myself was classic too.  Suddenly my corpse was resting at coordinates 0,0 and I was like, huh..? oh shoot!

There is an operator to make an agent invincible, but I don't know if you can turn it off.

That's a good idea to have npc's 'look before they shoot'.  I wonder if it can be done without bringing our processors to their knees.  I might be able to add an additional filter for when weaves hit to reduce the radius if there are also a bunch of allies around the target.

I'm hoping to make an magic item for npc companions that will unlock new weaves as the companion get stronger.

My magic item doesn't need ammo, (except the npcs need ammo or they won't shoot).

I think caps lock works pretty well.  I have never failed a mission using it.

I can add the print weave name code back in.  It's just commented out right now.  (I used that before I had the active weave pictures.)

Thanks for the input.  Hope you are enjoying your break!

To TelbornStryver:
The whole world should not be desert.  Only the Aiel Waste and a few small areas in the south.  The Borderlands, north is snowy, and currently the blight is either mountain (untraversable) or snowy.  (I know that's not really true to the blight, but oh well.)  A lot of the southlands should be either grass, forest, or steppe.

Tanit:
They are basically a hats off to the Wheel of Time game that was made in the late 90s.  Maybe an adaptation of the shadowspawn seeking lightning that Rand made in the Stone of Tear. (book 4)

Companions should be updated at some point.  Lorenzogarch volunteered to make some backstories, so when he has time to get some of that done, maybe I'll have time to code it in.

Just wanted to offer my praise.  Excellent mod!  It feels very true to the series while retaining its own version of 'alternate reality' like the shadow rising mod did.  My only complaint I guess would be that I don't like seeker, but that's just me.

Out of curiosity, who were you thinking of making into companions from the series?  Since you said you wanted to update companions in a future release.

Just found the mod and after few hours I really like it.

Channeling is bit confusing at first (I still have no idea what those 5-9 keys are supposed to do) but not that hard after a little trial and error. Also it's not gamebreaking like I feared, though unraveling is the most difficult thing my 5 lvl character can do.

I found out couple of bugs but nothing big. Some lords are wearing only pants inside the castle, the merchant in the first mission was different guy from time to time. There was few others too but I forgot them. I'll post when I remember  :smile:

Great mod
*goes back to playing*

Tumetsu said:
Just found the mod and after few hours I really like it.

Channeling is bit confusing at first (I still have no idea what those 5-9 keys are supposed to do) but not that hard after a little trial and error. Also it's not gamebreaking like I feared, though unraveling is the most difficult thing my 5 lvl character can do.

I found out couple of bugs but nothing big. Some lords are wearing only pants inside the castle, the merchant in the first mission was different guy from time to time. There was few others too but I forgot them. I'll post when I remember  :smile:

Great mod
*goes back to playing*

Those keys are for if you are using balefire and you want to go straight to seeker. Ie, try out the different toggle types and see which weaves clicking caps-lock will toggle through.

I noticed the armor-less lords in castles, tried giving them clothes, and some wear them, some don't.  I'm probably just making some stupid mistake.

Thanks for the reply mat!

Been rescuing a number of peasant women and I noticed they don't have an advancement tree.  I realize this is because the vanilla tree doesn't work perfectly in randland and kudos to you for noticing it and removing it.  It helps to improve the immersion feeling.  However, I was wondering if you were considering creating an advancement tree for peasant women which could include hunters for the horn, Cairhienin sword sisters, wise women/Kin, etc...  Just a thought.

Also, in response to the vanilla bandit hideouts, they work great in the game as centers for larger numbers of bandit spawnings and for early gold.  The only change I would make right off would be seeing if the troops inside the camp can be changed to your own troops as they are currently still using vanilla bandits inside the hideouts, most noticeable with the coastal raiders one.  Its not a big issue though.

well i went in to emonds field ( srry dont think thats the right way to spell it i suck at spelling lol ) and it was the desert type village, i went to the white tower and it was a desert type castle ill try to get a screen shot up to show you

I don't know what's wrong with your version Telborn, but mine is fine. 

Another question.  I have absolutely no idea how much you can control which lords give which quests or who had what personality, but Min asked me to assassinate a merchant because she couldn't pay her debts and Tam told me not to help his village out anymore after I did a quest for them.  Is this at all modable?  Then again, as it is an alternate reality of sorts, maybe it should stay as is, I don't know.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35081&id=100000918736879&saved    ok this is my facebook i put the screen shots there look at caption to know were i took the screen shot. theres one at emonds field teran ferry and the white tower and a over map screen shot of the shadowlands so ya plz help me

TelbornStryver said:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35081&id=100000918736879&saved    ok this is my facebook i put the screen shots there look at caption to know were i took the screen shot. theres one at emonds field teran ferry and the white tower and a over map screen shot of the shadowlands so ya plz help me

Alas, I have no facebook.  How unsocial of me.  I was even in college when it started.  :sad:  I replied to your PM.  But, now that I see your other messages, I think you do need to download and apply the patch.  It's a small file and shouldn't take you more than a minute or so.  Just follow the second download link in the first post on this thread.  Emonds Field should look like the Emond's Field in custom battle.
Tanit said:
Thanks for the reply mat!

Been rescuing a number of peasant women and I noticed they don't have an advancement tree.  I realize this is because the vanilla tree doesn't work perfectly in randland and kudos to you for noticing it and removing it.  It helps to improve the immersion feeling.  However, I was wondering if you were considering creating an advancement tree for peasant women which could include hunters for the horn, Cairhienin sword sisters, wise women/Kin, etc...  Just a thought.

Also, in response to the vanilla bandit hideouts, they work great in the game as centers for larger numbers of bandit spawnings and for early gold.  The only change I would make right off would be seeing if the troops inside the camp can be changed to your own troops as they are currently still using vanilla bandits inside the hideouts, most noticeable with the coastal raiders one.  Its not a big issue though.
Yeah, I cut a lot of the Native advancement trees because I read some post that said you can only have so many troops with advancement trees.  I cut all the ones that I thought wouldn't be missed in Wheel of Time.  But maybe they could be re-instated as long as they don't cause trouble.

Cairhien sword sisters and hunters for the horn are a good idea.  And maybe a split for villiage wisdoms and Kin.  Very good suggestions.

The lair / troop mismatch should be easy to fix.  I just need to add these ideas to the list before I forget them.

I think I'll try to release the multiplayer update patch sometime soon, and then try to focus on a bunch of the single player suggestions that have been coming in.

Thanks all,
mat

I got sucked into Native multiplayer last week and didn't make much progress on the mod.  :oops:

ok well im not sure if i put the patch in the right thing or did it right so when i put the patch in to the modules it said file already there blah blah blah. and so i just said merge or something like that and it finished and i went back in game same things in the story mode so can i get step by step instructions on where to put the patch plz

I think you may have done everything right, the step by step instructions are in the first post, but I have noticed that the main download does not always download all files.  In my case the parts it did not download prevented it from working at all, but perhaps yours merely caused this desert effect.  You may have to try a wipe and clean install, checking the file size when you download the .zip to make sure it is correct.

Another teensy, miniscule suggestion for the mod's singleplayer would be to play with character allocation.  Currently the relations in the game are a little skewed and certain generals who could be wives or companions or mothers or sister, etc... could be altered.  Its not at all necessary as this is a 'what if?' game, but its something to consider having fun with.

Also my friend is interested in the mod and he was wondering if you could post the full troop trees in the first post.

lol he is pretty cool but perrin is better lol

ok but any way i downloaded the patch im guessing i did it right well ill just tell you what i did and see if i did it right. ok so i deleted all of the gathering storm stuff so i can reinstall it all. i re-downloaded the 2.0 beta thing ( or what ever its called i downloaded the first one ) and put the file in to warband module folder. then i downloaded the patch and cut "the gathering storm" folder from the patch and went back to the warband module folder and clicked past and it said           

" this destination already contains a folder called " the gathering storm " if any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace those files. do you still want to merge this folder " the gathering storm " ( im guessing that one would be the first one ) with " the gathering storm " (im guessing thats the patch one ).       

and then i can ether click yes or no. so i clicked yes. did i do the right thing or did i screw up somewhere, because then i went in game and went to emonds field and it was still a desert style housing when it is supposed to be the emonds field out of the custom battle. so  plz plz plz plz  help me with this. i really really REALLY want to play this the way it is supposed to be played with the right towns maps name and all of it. thank you all for reading and i hope i get some help soooon.  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks,
    PerrinGoldenEyes

I think upgrade trees are bit too complicated. It's kind of stupid to upgrade your troops three times and they are still peasants, also it feels wrong to collect Arad Doman recruits from Mayene. Why not to skip over few phases and start straight from [landname] recruits? Or is there problems with smaller countries then?

Edit: Game puts nearly all cavalry and infatry units (Borderlands, haven't tested others yet) to Archer group.
Some funny quests, like Egwene asking me to deliver a letter to Graendal and Min hiring me to kill some local merchant.
Female lords saying they admire me (I play as a female) Can I marry them too? :wink:
That
mb14e.jpg
And probably others I forgot again

First of all, well done. This mod is great, it really does the books justice. I've been playing it the last few days and I really love it.

I was wondering though, is there a way to get shadowspawn recruits without them being freed prisoners? I'd like to have a darkfriend character to work for the shadow but the Shadowspawn dont have any villages to recruit from.

Thanks in advance.

Perrin:
It sounds like you are installing the patch correctly.  Are you playing a game that you started using the original mod files.  If so, I'm not sure that a saved game will update the map correctly.  I know that it won't bring in updated party data.

Try starting a new game and see if the map updates.  It should be very obvious.  The only other thing I can suggest is that you take a look inside the patch folder.  Make a list of all the files that are included.  Then delete those files from the original mod folder.  Finally, copy and paste the new files in.  That way you shouldn't have any problems with files not being over-written during the folder merge operation.

I dunno, the steps you listed are exactly what I would have expected them to be.  I should have a new patch out soon that can be applied to either the original download or the v0.2.2 patched version.  Hopefully we can solve this problem because the original villiage setup was a little annoying.

Tumetsu:
I agree that the initial troop upgrades are a little annoying.  That is because there is only support for an upgrade path to split into two.  If the path could split more ways at once, then it could have been simplified a lot.  Ie borderland recruit splits to shienar, kandor, arafel, saldaea recruits, rather than first splitting into an intermediate recruit type.  (Ie east/west recruits)

I didn't want to have a faction for every country, but I wanted to have a lot of options for troop types.  I'll try to get a complete troop tree posted sometime.

I think the "all troops = archers" is a problem that I caused by making all the troops based off one set of troop code.  I'll have to review that and see if I can change it easily.

The marriage/courtship thing is hopelessly screwed up at the moment.  That's because Native assumes all lords/knights are men, and all ladies are women.  But, that obviously isn't the case in this mod.

Shoot!  I must have left the Pretender "Colavere as a man."  Fancy hair and a dress wasn't enough to hide 'her' true self.

Steven1207:
That is something that I plan to resolve.  I'm not sure if it will be with villiages, lairs, or some other recruitment option for the Shadowspawn.  I was actually hoping that when villiages get conquered, you would be able to recruit the troops of the new owners.  But that isn't the case.  I also want to make recruiting from castles and towns an option.

Much of the agent and contender text still refers to the vanilla nations, characters, etc...  Would you like some help with that?  I don't know if I'll finish what I start as I have other mods to work on, just thought I'd tell you to be fair, but I could post text for the claimants here and offer some ideas for companions and such.

Back
Top Bottom