SP Other The Gathering Storm - A Wheel of Time Mod (Beta) Latest Version: V0.2.7d

Users who are viewing this thread

Vipsanius

Sergeant
M&BWBVC
Much enjoy this mod.  Shows immense thought and skilled effort.

Twice in battles - my character switched sides-all of a sudden, the darkfriends became my side and I was fighting against my own people.
Was I victim of a weave?  I seem to remember something in one of the books like this - before I gave up.

  Thanks.

  Vipsanius
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
You were hit by Compulsion. The trick there is to hope someone un-Compels you, or to run (and take a hit to morale), or if you trust your troops enough, just sit and twiddle your thumbs until the enemies die. I don't suggest you take the opportunity to butcher the enemy, though. Sure they won't attack you, but you lose way too much morale. I lost an army of 150+ because of that  :mrgreen:. It also might help not to rush headlong into a group of darkfriend channelers. They are the only ones other than the player who can weave Compulsion.

Mat said he might make the player immune to Compulsion in the foreseeable future. Might be too buggy.

 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
lorenzogarch said:
Mat said he might make the player immune to Compulsion in the foreseeable future. Might be too buggy.

If you have added the V0.2.2 patch to your game, then compulsion should no longer affect the player.

You can find those files here:
V0.2.2 Beta Patch
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2430
I don't think that those files are save-game compatible with the V0.2.0 mod though.  I need to see if the mod works with V1.134 Warband.  Hopefully, I'll get lucky.

lorenzogarch
I know it hasn't been that long, but are you still experiencing the seekers not moving error?  I know if I cheat and advance my player until I can use seekers, that they work fine for me.  But I wonder if the saved games get a little corrupted after a while and then stuff stops working correctly.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to take a look at that soon.  Seekers use the same code in custom battle though, and they work perfectly there.
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
They're still slow, but I guess that's a matter of perspective. They do move, but kinda slowly. Kind of a short-range weave, but useful when someone with a big sword comes at you  :smile: . Does it pick a target at random,or whoever is in the crosshair?
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
lorenzogarch said:
They're still slow, but I guess that's a matter of perspective. They do move, but kinda slowly. Kind of a short-range weave, but useful when someone with a big sword comes at you  :smile: . Does it pick a target at random,or whoever is in the crosshair?
Ok, when you say they do move, you mean fast enough to catch most targets who are on foot?  But slow enough that if you have a horse, you can out run it?  If so, then that's the way it is supposed to be.  (Or at least how I programmed them to move.)  I can alter the speed if most people think they are too slow.  I tried to leave channelers half a chance to unravel one that is tracking them.

The seeker weave latches on to the enemy closest to the channeler.  And currently, only 20 of them are allowed at a time.  (they each use one of the global position variables to keep track of their current position.)
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
As it is, they're really useful when a few lords or high-tier troops come at you, or if you want to channel and there are a bunch of allies around the target. I guess I was just using them wrong. Can't use them as a primary attack weave.

Do you think getting the weaves to report damage will be possible. It would be kinda nice to know how many times I have to lightning someone in the face before he dies.

As for the new patch, I've not been Compelled yet, even against the darkfriends, so that's good. Plus, it seems to be working right with v1.134
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
lorenzogarch said:
As it is, they're really useful when a few lords or high-tier troops come at you, or if you want to channel and there are a bunch of allies around the target. I guess I was just using them wrong. Can't use them as a primary attack weave.

Do you think getting the weaves to report damage will be possible. It would be kinda nice to know how many times I have to lightning someone in the face before he dies.

As for the new patch, I've not been Compelled yet, even against the darkfriends, so that's good. Plus, it seems to be working right with v1.134
Seekers will be about twice as fast for the next release.

I still am not able to make the weaves report damage correctly.  I think that must be hard coded into the engine.  It always seems to give the amount of damage the weapon is set to deliver. (So, it says, "delivered 0 damage" all the time.)  I would probably have to make my own damage reporting code.  Which seems like a lot of work for not that much result.

Also, lightning seems to work a little oddly.  Sometimes, you shoot enemies, and nothing happens.  This goes on for a while, and then all the sudden, it works like it should, and you are shocking everyone you shoot.  I'm not sure what is causing that.  Maybe something with agent slots not resetting.

And yes, you shouldn't be getting compelled with the patch.  And hurray for v1.134 working with the mod.  :smile:
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
mat2rivs said:
Seekers will be about twice as fast for the next release.

I still am not able to make the weaves report damage correctly.  I think that must be hard coded into the engine.  It always seems to give the amount of damage the weapon is set to deliver. (So, it says, "delivered 0 damage" all the time.)  I would probably have to make my own damage reporting code.  Which seems like a lot of work for not that much result.

Also, lightning seems to work a little oddly.  Sometimes, you shoot enemies, and nothing happens.  This goes on for a while, and then all the sudden, it works like it should, and you are shocking everyone you shoot.  I'm not sure what is causing that.  Maybe something with agent slots not resetting.

And yes, you shouldn't be getting compelled with the patch.  And hurray for v1.134 working with the mod.  :smile:

I've noticed that recently. The lighting sometimes jumps and sometimes doesn't. Also, since there's no splash, and it doesn't always chain, I can never tell if I hit. Also, does it only chain to enemies, or to anyone? I can't see, to tell (heat of battle and all that)
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
lorenzogarch said:
I've noticed that recently. The lighting sometimes jumps and sometimes doesn't. Also, since there's no splash, and it doesn't always chain, I can never tell if I hit. Also, does it only chain to enemies, or to anyone? I can't see, to tell (heat of battle and all that)
It chains through anyone near it.  There's no splash when it hits, but there are some sparks that rise.  The best way to tell if it is working though is if it chains.  It's a weird bug.  It will not work for 10 or 15 times, and then start working fine, and then stop...  hard to debug.
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
Yeah, but a useful weave nonetheless. Kill a bunch of people and have a chance not to fry your own men for once  :razz:  Does it do damage when it doesn't chain?
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
Unfortunately, I think that generally when it doesn't chain, the code isn't running right, so no damage is given.  But if it is working, then you should be able to do damage to a single troop.
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
Hmmm....makes it a bit less useful, then. Do you know what causes it to stop working? I've found no patterns to when it works and when it doesn't work.
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
lorenzogarch said:
Hmmm....makes it a bit less useful, then. Do you know what causes it to stop working? I've found no patterns to when it works and when it doesn't work.
Unfortunately, no.  And since there is no pattern, it makes debugging harder.
 

zelig

Recruit
Wow - it's amazing! You made almost everything that i wanted to do in my mod... It's simple great!!!!!
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
Thanks!  One of the main things you need to make a mod is a lot of time.  I'm out of school so I had a lot of free time in the evenings.  Thanks for the positive feedback!  Hearing that from someone who is working on their own mod is pretty cool.
 

andristan

Veteran
Great mod, its good to finally have someone working on a wheel of time mod. some suggestions: there are very few villages and other recruitment places near Cairhien and the spine of the world, i know some of that is based on the books but a few more villages and other holdings would be nice; next I was traveling across Randland and ran into multiple bandit hideouts from vanilla warband south of Maradon and Chachin, these hideouts were stacked on top of each other, i dont know if that is on purpose but there it is; in the stores I noticed several items that had a messed up name and/or price: the epee corte chevalier02 i think, and one of the seanchan armors had the name problem and then, rusty Legion armor(17, 7 armor) cost more than crude tarabon armor(19,7 armor) those numbers are guesses, sorry.
This is a good mod with lots of potential, i will enjoy seeing it progress.
 

Tanit

Recruit
I get the following error when trying to extract the main zip file for the mod, but the patch decompresses just fine.  Any idea why?  I am using winrar to extract and have XP as my operating system and firefox as my browser.

!  C:\Documents and Settings\Tanit\My Documents\Downloads\Gathering_Storm_V020Beta(2).zip: Unexpected end of archive

Edit: Never mind, choosing open with winrar instead of downloading and then opening fixed the issue.
 

Verbeek

WookieWarlord said:
Yaaaaay I love the Wheel of Time books. Do you have any plans to bring this to multiplayer?
Please do! I would love that!
 

zelig

Recruit
I'd played two day this mod. I had fun :smile: All weaves work as Jordan wrote in the series. With that i feel some dis balance. Mod of Feral has great advantage of weave that not presents in the series - weave of Healing that worked on a caster too. It made balance so that you really feel god with not channelers and with that any channeler decrease this feeling as it should be. You made step forward and made healing that don't work on a caster. With  friendly fire It devastates my party also when there are no channeler on enemy side on your battle field...
Your shield, unraveling and of course balefire are simple genius things :smile:

Suggestion:
- air protect weave that help with arrows(maybe invincibility except for weaves).  (may be this air protect weave will work against any light power weaves as fireball or earthquake until more powerful/skillful channeler crush it except for balefire). May be for the air protect weave should be script that support constant level of live(that has been until weaving of the air protect weave) and any weave that applied on  the channeler guarded with the shield need make some sort of check if it can brake through or not(as you made it with Shielding and Unravel)
- randomized weave for npces that should check out - if in the damage area anybody friendly present(if positive check - then or shield or healing nearby or travelling in the battle field zone)

If you don't mind and will want:
- I like to use npces(Marnid and others) as channelers, so if you can add in the script of pressing M that also one power ammo will be throw in to inventory(or may be another channeling instrument). I get what my npces have by attacking deserters-channelers.
- in my mod i made refilling of power ammos by (agent_refill_ammo,":shooter"). You need ammos for it
- can you change pressing caps lock for changing weave for any other key(it happen that i press on tab and be thrown out of mission with failure)
- in some places channeling is not working(sorry it happen once and i don't remember where it was
- can you print names of weaves on changing - new player in this mod don't know what he chose.
- i saw that expirience is not coming with killing by my weaves(it comes but rarely). on 30 day of game time i only on 6 level from common expirience after battle.

I'm sorry for to many suggestions and poor english it's not my native :smile:
Simple i already wasted time for thinking on it and may be that will help you
 
Top Bottom