SP Other The Gathering Storm - A Wheel of Time Mod (Beta) Latest Version: V0.2.7d

Users who are viewing this thread

lorenzogarch

Regular
The compulsion does make sense. Oddly enough though, seeing as you're totally in control, you can still wipe out your enemies with channeling, and they won't touch you. The only thing you lose is a bit (or a lot in a big battle) of morale. Maybe if the person who wove the compulsion died, it would be removed (can this be done?)

For the air weapon, I was thinking of something like a weapon (like a dagger or sword made of air (or maybe like Rand's flame sword).
Oh, and maybe artifacts would be fun. Like angreal, sa'angreal and ter'angreal.
Maybe even steddings, where no channelers can channel, and shadowspawn can't enter
Also, could you implement a storyline (I've seen other mods do it, and even helped test one)? Something like a parallel story, and you can chose which faction to join or play as one of the main characters

Sorry for the overload of ideas. It's just that I'm re-reading WoT again :smile:
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
lorenzogarch said:
The compulsion does make sense. Oddly enough though, seeing as you're totally in control, you can still wipe out your enemies with channeling, and they won't touch you. The only thing you lose is a bit (or a lot in a big battle) of morale. Maybe if the person who wove the compulsion died, it would be removed (can this be done?)

For the air weapon, I was thinking of something like a weapon (like a dagger or sword made of air (or maybe like Rand's flame sword).
Oh, and maybe artifacts would be fun. Like angreal, sa'angreal and ter'angreal.
Maybe even steddings, where no channelers can channel, and shadowspawn can't enter
Also, could you implement a storyline (I've seen other mods do it, and even helped test one)? Something like a parallel story, and you can chose which faction to join or play as one of the main characters

Sorry for the overload of ideas. It's just that I'm re-reading WoT again :smile:

Yeah... I'm sort of thinking about making compulsion so it can't affect the human player.  For many of the reasons you said.  It works better when used on the computer agents because they will follow the rules and start fighting for the other team.  But, when you get compelled, you are a wild card.  You can run away and retreat, use the opportunity to kill off your enemies while on their team, or take take the worst option and kill off your own army.

I also might do away with the short range weaves (air blast, defensive blast, and fire curtain) for the computer agents.  They always seem to kill off more of their own troops than the enemies when they use them.  I also might have to remove the 'sliding' effect for air blast, defensive blast, and ranged earth blast.  (for the computer agents at least.)  I think that effect is really hard on processing time.  It seems like most of the crashes I've experienced were when I saw about 30 channelers chain casting ranged earth blast.  Besides, the player is the only one who knows how to intelligently use it to break up formations.

Thanks for the other ideas, too.  I'll have to give them some thought as to whether/how they can be implemented.  Ideas are good on their own, but if you also have thoughts regarding how to get them implemented, let me know.
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
For steddings, I think it's just a matter of making it so that, in an area, the Shadowspawn don't travel (like some kind of code). Channeling is easier. Just make it so that when you pass a certain area, the power weapon disappears, and reappears when you leave (that is possible, right?)
I'm not sure about weaving a weapon, it might not be possible.
Artifacts, I know can be made, but maybe use ter'angreal for most.  Simple stuff: an item that makes some food every day, or increases travelling speed, or grants a new weave in game
As for the storyline, I've seen it done before, but I'm not sure how (I've never coded anything more complex than a very basic website). If you need someone to write the storyline (if you do a parallel story, I mean) I'd love to help.

As for removing compulsion on the player, that might be good. You'd think that if a compelled person started killing the enemy anyway, the troop morale would increase, and enemy morale would go down.
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
If anyone finds any repeatable game breaking errors, let me know.  I think I've removed the problematic aspects of the channeling system that cause crashing in battles with large numbers of channelers.  Those fixes will of course be included in the upgrade I'm working on.
 

bigbuttons

Regular
it might just be me. but the game says that fire ball or any of the other weaves do any damage, apart from bale fire which is a rainbow field thing and the enmy just dissappears. I just wanted to know whether the damage should come up or not.
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
The damage does not show as usual, but the enemies still die after enough hits. Fireball, fire wall, and chain lightning do damage, but don't one-hit people generally (but sometimes they do) Not sure, but I've seen people die from ranged earth blast, but I don't think air blast does much or any damage
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
bigbuttons said:
it might just be me. but the game says that fire ball or any of the other weaves do any damage, apart from bale fire which is a rainbow field thing and the enmy just dissappears. I just wanted to know whether the damage should come up or not.
Shoot, I always play with that damage reporting feature turned off.  However, all the weaves except, frost blast, heal, unravel, shield, and compulsion do damage.  It just isn't reported.  I think that's because I took a firearm weapon, set the damage it does as a normal weapon to zero, and then wrote all the code for the One Power effects.  I would probably have to add some extra code to make the damage report show up again.

I do use (agent_deliver_damage_to_agent,<agent_id_deliverer>,<agent_id>), though, which means one agent gets credit for damaging the other one.  I don't know... I'm not too concerned about this issue, unless a lot of other people are.
 

bigbuttons

Regular
So is that why it said that a bandit killed his friend ? It kinda confused me lol, I lauched loadsa fireballs at  agroup and didn't get one kill out of it, it just said that they killed each other.
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
That doesn't normally happen to me, but sometimes I get knocked unconscious by a random soldier when I channel a lot. It's probably just a hiccup in the channeling system. If you could give any information on when it happened, that would be great.
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
bigbuttons said:
So is that why it said that a bandit killed his friend ? It kinda confused me lol, I lauched loadsa fireballs at  agroup and didn't get one kill out of it, it just said that they killed each other.
Are you shooting at the same spot over and over?  If so, you should be killing guys.  I know that works.  The fireball does a lot of damage to those it directly hits, and then less and less damage as you get further and further away from the blast zone.  After the first shot, you can tell if you hit anyone because they will be on fire.  People will also burn longer the closer they are to the blast area.  While on fire, they will lose one health per second.  I should have a patch out sometime in the next few days that should optimize the channeling code. (the updates won't affect the damage report though, unless I fixed it inadvertantly)

lorenzogarch said:
That doesn't normally happen to me, but sometimes I get knocked unconscious by a random soldier when I channel a lot. It's probably just a hiccup in the channeling system. If you could give any information on when it happened, that would be great.
I think channeling a lot, especially when fighting other channelers has a tendency to create errors.  And I think a lot of them came from the trigger that caused the 'sliding' motion that occurs when you use air blast or similar weaves.  I took that ability away from the npc channelers and solved a lot of my crashing problems.  Any code that has a tendency to cause crashing probably acts a little screwy even when a crash doesn't occur.  Example:  I was getting compelled by the Seanchan, but the damane power weapon doesn't include the compulsion weave.  Hopefully... a lot of this will be fixed with the patch.  Ahhh, gotta love debugging!
 

bigbuttons

Regular
I know this ones kinda petty, but I think that the ash'amen should be stronger.... they should be able to take more damage than the Aes Sedai (this may sound sexist) because they're men. They've been purposefully trained so that they can fight so thats another reason i guess, another thing like the Ash'amen shouldn't be able to heal as often or at all because most haven't been taught how to heal very well, theres only one or two that have a large amount of knowledge in the healing area. While Aes Sedai should be more shielding and healing and slowing based because generally they wern't involved in conflicts. I have no idea if this can be coded in but it would be cool.
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
bigbuttons said:
I know this ones kinda petty, but I think that the ash'amen should be stronger.... they should be able to take more damage than the Aes Sedai (this may sound sexist) because they're men. They've been purposefully trained so that they can fight so thats another reason i guess, another thing like the Ash'amen shouldn't be able to heal as often or at all because most haven't been taught how to heal very well, theres only one or two that have a large amount of knowledge in the healing area. While Aes Sedai should be more shielding and healing and slowing based because generally they wern't involved in conflicts. I have no idea if this can be coded in but it would be cool.
Good comments...

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Aes Sedai use different weaves based on their Ajah. I have seven (eight counting black) different power weapons for them.  So, Yellows will mostly heal, Greens mostly fight, Reds mostly shield, etc.  Also, all the lower class channelers (novices, soldiers, apprentices)have a chance that their weaves will fail. (Ie the little puff of blue mist that appears in front of them from time to time.  Ashaman can be made stronger by changing their level, or the amount of armor their coats have, or by changing their Ironflesh level.  I'll look into it.  But, I left all channelers sort of unarmored so any solid normal weapon blow will kill them.  Otherwise it would be almost impossible to play as a non-channeler.  Also, I think that Seeker is used by Asha'man but not Aes Sedai. (I'd have to double check)  Aes Sedai also do a lot of Unraveling.  Aes Sedai are definitely better support channelers than Asha'man, but aren't quite as good at offensive fighting.  (Excluding Greens - plus they usually bring 2 to 3 warders with them)  Wise Ones are somewhere in the middle.  Dreadlords and damane are mostly offensive channelers.  Channeling lords/ladies do a little of everything.  But the bad guys get compulsion.

I might have to take another look at the balancing one of these days.

I guess currently, Ashaman are stronger because they have leather armor, where as the Aes Sedai have dresses.  One guy with a sword can take out a group of novices like nothing.  (But shame on you if you kill a bunch of untrained girls...  :cry: )
 

Reapper45

Sergeant
WBWF&S
I keep getting this [hourglass-gloves-ornate mesh not found] and tis an rgl error. could someone help me?
*edit* heres the exact error "ERROR: Unable to open texture file Textures\hourglass_gauntlets_ornate.dds"
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
Reapper45 said:
I keep getting this [hourglass-gloves-ornate mesh not found] and tis an rgl error. could someone help me?
*edit* heres the exact error "ERROR: Unable to open texture file Textures\hourglass_gauntlets_ornate.dds"
Please try downloading and extracting the files again.  Make sure you are careful to put them in the right place.  Ie, put 'The Gathering Storm' folder in the Modules folder for the game.  I don't think it's a problem with the files I uploaded because you are the first person to encounter this error.

If anyone else has received this error, please let me know.
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
Mat, just to let you know, your previous post said that frost blast doesn't kill, but I've taken down people with a direct hit (but not very often). Also, does bind do damage? I haven't noticed. Also, when I weave a Seeker, it doesn't move.
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
The power weapon used by the player does 1 'thrust' damage.  That will occur if you hit someone with that brown blur that appears when you use the power weapon.  So, technically, you can kill someone with frost blast.  At this point, bind does not do damage.  As far as a seeker not moving, can you give me some more details as to what type of battle, how long you have been playing that saved game, etc.  I think seekers shouldn't have any problem moving.  I have found while porting items to multiplayer that multiplayer uses slightly different distances to calculate.  Check to see if the seeker is actually moving really slowly.

Thanks,
mat
 

lorenzogarch

Regular
New bug: First quest: go to bandit hideout near (player name). Can never find it, or it appears where ever you are. Happens with the Find the Merchant's brother/son. Also, why is the merchant in Tar Valon a Lugarder? Is he secretly Fain in disguise?  :shock:
 

smurfin

Knight
Do you think in later releases you might edit the darkspawn/trollocs or whatever to look more dark? They don't look too intimidating right now. Not sure if their suppose to be just a suggestion though.
 

mat2rivs

Squire
WB
lorenzogarch said:
New bug: First quest: go to bandit hideout near (player name). Can never find it, or it appears where ever you are. Happens with the Find the Merchant's brother/son. Also, why is the merchant in Tar Valon a Lugarder? Is he secretly Fain in disguise?  :shock:
Yeah, I noticed that.  I was able to finish the quest though, even with the incorrect city name.  I think this error is related to the one where the merchant of Lugard is in Tar Valon.  I'll look at it when I have time.  Fixed... In the next version you'll see the correct merchant all the time and the bandit lair will spawn near a villiage or town.  (it was spawning near (player name) because Tar Valon didn't have a village assigned to it.  The native code tries to spawn the lair near one of the starting town's villages.)

To smurfin:
The trollocs probably don't look super evil because I'm not  that great at texturing.  They are supposed to be a mixture of human and animal (dna ?) created through the use of the One Power.  You are supposed to be able to tell that they are somewhat human, but also have a large animal influence.  I'm probably just not a good enough artist to pull that off.  If anyone wants to make the perfect trolloc, let me know.
 
Top Bottom