Need More Info The game performs terribly, jumping FPS from 20-120 non-stop on the campaign map

Users who are viewing this thread

Dhargo

Recruit
Windows 10, fully updated
GPU nvidia gtx 1080 drivers updated
CPU intel i7-8700k
Memory 24GB RAM

I bought the game for 2.99€ on a sale, I thought I'd play it while waiting for Bannerlord. But now I cannot even play it at all, because on the Campaign Map the FPS jump non-stop. Check this clip to see what I talk about - FPS is for some reason not visible, but it bounced from like 15 to 120 non-stop, FPS literally did not stay the same for like 2 seconds . https://streamable.com/239qaq

In a custom battle 20v20 I had 120fps stable, in 200v200 I just did my FPS was stable 60 (still bad for such an old game considering my pc imo) but playable. However in the tutorial mission on the boats at the beginning my FPS went dropped randomly from 120 to like 40, freezing etc. Same happened in the house where you wake up after the attack by Viking Sven.

first_time = 0

texture_detail = 70

render_buffer_size = 512 #

max_framerate = 120

start_windowed = 0

use_pixel_shaders = 1

use_vertex_shaders = 1

fake_reflections = 1

show_framerate = 0

use_ondemand_textures_ = 1

use_ondemand_textures_mt = 1

disable_music = 0

disable_sound = 0

disable_frequency_variation = 0

cheat_mode = 0

enable_blood = 1

enable_edit_mode = 0

force_single_threading = 0

debug_mode = 0

display_width = 0

display_height = 0

display_bits = 32

antialiasing = 4

sample_quality = 0

alpha2coverage = 1

force_vsync = 1

shadowmap_quality = 1

shader_quality = 1

postfx_dof = 0

postfx_hdr = 0

postfx_autoexp = 0

flora_degrade_distance = 150.0000

flora_lod_detail = 1

use_instancing = 0

use_secure_connection = 0

max_number_of_connections = 16

look_for_server_on_this_machine = 0

music_volume = 0.0675

sound_volume = 0.2969

mouse_sensitivity = 0.5000

invert_mouse = 0

enable_lighting = 1

enable_particles = 1

enable_blood = 1

enable_character_shadows = 1

enable_accurate_shadows = 1

number_of_corpses = 5

grass_density = 100

combat_speed = 2

friend_combat_difficulty = 1

adapter_format = 0

reduce_combat_ai = 0

reduce_campaign_ai = 1

combat_difficulty = 1

display_labels = 1

display_targeting_reticule = 1

display_attack_direction = 0

turn_camera_with_horse_in_first_person = 2

verbose_damage = 1

verbose_shot_difficulty = 0

battle_size = 0.2500

attack_direction_control = 2

defend_direction_control = 0

lance_control = 0

anisotropic_filtering = 0

enable_environment_shadows = 1

verbose_casualties = 0

verbose_experience = 0

realistic_shadows_on_plants = 0

number_of_ragdolls = 5

gamma = 2.2000

character_detail = 0.5787

character_shadow_detail = 0.5290

control_mouse_movement_y_scale = 1.5000

blood_stains = 2

use_winmm_audio = 0

enable_version_check = 1

enable_aspect_ratio_control = 1

realistic_headshots = 0

auto_gfx_quality = 0

enable_gamepad_vibration = 1

I hope someone knows a fix for this.

Last edited:
Steam may be forcing compatability mode on you. Turn that off to avoid memory issues.
Hello.

In these paths that article mentions there is no steam.exe as described.

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and delete the entry for the steam.exefile
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers only has some league of legends services and Borderland2.exe in there.

You should also see if there is an entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the same location and delete it as well. Failing that, check in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers has no entry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted.only has Ubisoft Launcher in it.

I am really confused currently.
I wanted to check whether Mount and Blade Warband takes up more than 2 gb of RAM when its on the world map. However I noticed that it suddenly runs in 120 fps? It drops to 107 sometimes but its not a stutter, its still smooth.

I am really confused because I did not do anything.

But I noticed it says "Mount and blade (32bit)" in the Taskmanager.
My system is 64bit, does Warband not support 64 bit or do I have to turn that on manually somewhere?
ybLDUGT.png

Is there any way to get more than 2GB of memory used for the game even in 32 bit then? The fps in large battle drops significanlty below the otherweise stable 120fps but gpu and cpu are not even close to limit, but memory use stops after like 20xx mb.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we don't support 64bit on Windows for Warband.
It is back to lagging on the world map again...
It was fine for the beginning of the campaign, but after maybe 10-15 minutes in it now turned unplayable again. Please can you help me? My PC is laughably much better than what this game requires.

After trying Floris Expanded mod, where my performance was just as terrible, I fully uninstalled Warband, deleted evey last file from the steam folder, deleted the one in My Documents and reinstalled the game. I wanted to first check Native before using any mod, and MY GOD even in native, just in the starting menu, my FPS jump between 30 and 144 ALL-THE-TIME. Theres micro-freezes every few seconds, its literally a pain to even create a character. I really thought Native was fine, because last time I played it (like 1 year ago) it was working fine.

I have no idea whats up. Literally every single piece of software, every game runs smooth in this computer. There is no way Warband cannot run smoothly.
I even tried 1280x720 resolution instead of 1440p and it didn't change anything at all. Just check this out, this is absurd https://streamable.com/tp0mwo

Last edited:
The video is private. :sad:
oh my bad. Sorry, should be public now https://streamable.com/tp0mwo (also ignore the keyboard smashing, its not me but discord sound)
Sadly, for some reason, ShadowPlay does not record the FPS counter in the bottom left screen.
But even without the FPS counter visible, the problem can be observed. Notice how when you hover the cursor over a Menu point, it gets highlighted in yellow. Then see how sometimes my cursor passes one or even multiple menu buttons without a single one lighting up - thats because the game literally freezes in these moments, and they occur every 3-4 seconds

Last edited:
Try locking the game at 60 fps, messing around with threading in the launcher, and resolution, make sure edit mode isn't on, don't leave the "control T" cheat on, if it is. There has been issues reported with mouse speed and fps on the campaign menu as well for some users in warband, I occasionally get slowdowns on the campaign map (not as severe as yours) but keeping the game locked at 60- or 80 fps and 3k has lessened the impact, that's for warband, mods, vc, modded or otherwise.

Im not really able to give a definitive answer as others have had these issues going back over a decade and the solutions are varied, sometimes is a directx issue, sometimes mouse lag, sometimes a redownload fixes it.

It's not really about what my pc can handle as I can run games like 2077, KCD, Bannerlord etc at high-ultra ish, warbands a bit old, a bit wonky, and build before all of our tech. VC really stresses the capability of warband, I hope you can get it figured out because it's a game I have spent 900+ hours in and not really slowing down.

Try locking the game at 60 fps, messing around with threading in the launcher, and resolution, make sure edit mode isn't on, don't leave the "control T" cheat on, if it is. There has been issues reported with mouse speed and fps on the campaign menu as well for some users in warband, I occasionally get slowdowns on the campaign map (not as severe as yours) but keeping the game locked at 60- or 80 fps and 3k has lessened the impact, that's for warband, mods, vc, modded or otherwise.

Im not really able to give a definitive answer as others have had these issues going back over a decade and the solutions are varied, sometimes is a directx issue, sometimes mouse lag, sometimes a redownload fixes it.
I will try the 60fps tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

I tried the "single core threading" option, no change. I tried anything down to 720p for resolution, no change. Edit mode as never been activated and I don't know what the "control T" cheat is about, but I never did anything with the game and if it is not a default setting it should not be active.

What do you mean with mouse speed? Should I tone down the dpi value? Also unsure what you mean with 3k ("60- or 80 fps and 3k"), is that a resolution?
I redownloaded the game 3 times, twice after I deleted every last file I found that is connected to warband.

Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom