The game mechanics do not support the fundamental game design

Users who are viewing this thread

Core gameplay is simple fighting. Blocking and Attacking with different sized groups, the same as it was in warband and nw.

1. The core gameplay mechanics are intentionally made clunky
  • block delay: prevents people from blocking or make it way harder than it should be.
  • release delay: the release delay on holds makes it very hard to react to the enemy, hold are a fundamental tool for teamplay
  • swing arcs and attack event in animation: the attack event starts too early in the swing, which results in the very wide swings to be stuck on teammates or make it very hard to aim them precisely. This makes fighting in big groups impossible.
  • vertical turn cap: the vertical turn cap is way too tight, which results into alot of swings simple missing if there is uneven ground, generally uneven grounds make it very clunky to play. It is hard to aim your stab on the vertical axis, it simple feels like the stab is glued to the x axis.
  • glances and pokes: make the combat very unresponsive. The combat gets significantly slowed down by it, people are forced to use "bad" swings, which basicly removes all the skill (aiming of swings, footwork) from the game. Its random if you win or not and can get just unlucky and lose, which is very frustrating. It should be a single player feature only.
2. The game prevents core gameplay from happening
  • shields: shields are still far too tanky and remove the directional blocking from the game.
  • throwing weapons: they are far too strong and too many classes have access to to a huge number of them
  • archers: far too accurate too many missiles, prevents people to get into melee and forces people to use shields (they are probably the worst class right now because of throwing weapons)
  • movement speed: different movement speed values that variate too much prevent people from fighting (attacking - blocking) similar to dodge in mordhau
  • cavalry: very unfun to play against, they are far too strong, pressing x even falls out of the core mechanics, they arent forced to attack or get around peoples block
At the moment the game is not a medival slasher its a medival shooter. But those mechanics arent fun, its not fun to play archer vs archer or run around as cav with couched lances. (or after other cavs) At this point the game might aswell be a horse racing game, more than a medival slasher.

Last edited:

Core gameplay is simple fighting. Blocking and Attacking with different sized groups, the same as it was in warband and nw.

1. The core gameplay mechanics are intentionally made clunky
  • block delay: prevents people from blocking or make it way harder than it should be.
  • release delay: the release delay on holds makes it very hard to react to the enemy, hold are a fundamental tool for teamplay
  • swing arcs and attack event in animation: the attack event starts too early in the swing, which results in the very wide swings to be stuck on teammates or make it very hard to aim them precisely. This makes fighting in big groups impossible.
  • vertical turn cap: the vertical turn cap is way too tight, which results into alot of swings simple missing if there is uneven ground, generally uneven grounds make it very clunky to play. It is hard to aim your stab on the vertical axis, it simple feels like the stab is glued to the x axis.
  • glances and pokes: make the combat very unresponsive. The combat gets significantly slowed down by it, people are forced to use "bad" swings, which basicly removes all the skill (aiming of swings, footwork) from the game. Its random if you win or not and can get just unlucky and lose, which is very frustrating. It should be a single player feature only.
2. The game prevents core gameplay from happening
  • shields: shields are still far too tanky and remove the directional blocking from the game.
  • throwing weapons: they are far too strong and too many classes have access to to a huge number of them
  • archers: far too accurate too many missiles, prevents people to get into melee and forces people to use shields (they are probably the worst class right now because of throwing weapons)
  • movement speed: different movement speed values that variate too much prevent people from fighting (attacking - blocking) similar to dodge in mordhau
  • cavalry: very unfun to play against, they are far too strong, pressing x even falls out of the core mechanics, they arent forced to attack or get around peoples block
At the moment the game is not a medival slasher its a medival shooter. But those mechanics arent fun, its not fun to play archer vs archer or run around as cav with couched lances. (or after other cavs) At this point the game might aswell be a horse racing game, more than a medival slasher.

I don’t think it is a medieval slasher. If anything it’s a horse archer sim. :wink: A response to a few of your points.

Overhead swings and thrusts still work in crowded situations. I think it’s good for the attack to begin where it does. If anything I actually would like to see units follow me more closely and crowd around me. I need to tell them to charge or stop and then move behind them in order to not be so far ahead and get focused down. A slow orderly advance needs to be possible and right now it’s only advance or charge and they’re both the same speed.

Couched lances can be blocked with shields. They work fine and if anything horse damage is super nerfed so balance is okay I think. I love pressing x.

It’s possible to get around blocking opponents. There is an opening during the beginning of the attack animation where they move the shield completely away from their body. If they (or you) go block shield direction down and you (or they) attack up then headshot. This works with spears too. Complaints are that there isn’t enough control with shields because it’s so easy to snipe around them with arrows or javelins. Probably means damage to extremities needs to be nerfed.

Close range javelins are op if throwing at someone without a shield. Damage values for the range are good maybe but it’s like unavoidable. You telling me it’s impossible to deflect or dodge a javelin close range? An arrow I understand but not a javelin. Definitely needs some redesign.

Movement speed is definitely an issue. It needs big tuning and there’s a weirdness around the fov and camera position, unit counters, and the role acceleration plays in adding damage to strikes. It should take longer to hit top speed and there should be some way to sprint for a small distance. I wish leg movement was as well tuned as their horse movement.

Sidestepping forward and flicking the camera with a swing delivers maximum damage but maybe make the acceleration of movement speed a little bit slower on the bottom end so that it’s more of a contest to get where the attack is pointing versus how hard it is to track the units movement speed.

Mouse movement feels like there’s a weird acceleration applied to it. It would make sense because we load directions with the mouse but it should be linear so that it doesn’t mess with our muscle memory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom