The ever-starving lords

Users who are viewing this thread

Why do the lords always starve? example. you bought food for 200 days and then joined the army, after a couple of steps they write to you that you shared the army with starving soldiers and you take 50 food for 2 steps in the army, please correct this

If you are the army leader, you can resolve this by travelling to settlements so that the lords in your army can purchase food.

If this is happening as an army follower, they may prioritize a military target over the starvation. If there is a particular situation that you find problematic and have a savegame for, you can share it in the tech support section so that @mexxico can examine it.

Don't players make mistakes too? I see players run out of money and tank moral, run out of food, forget to upgrade troops and attack a larger party and then remember....... all sort of problems.

I'm not saying there can't be bugs or tweak needed, but the AI having a woopsie sometimes, like running out of food or fighting a battle they shoulda run from, is good for the game IMO. Yeah you can choose to re-load the game if you have a problem, but that's your choice, some people it kills their enjoyment so they stuck with whatever mistake they made!

shouldn't lords have a bigger inventory? couse i see it many times that army they leeding get starved in very short time, a weekor so
They have to buy food, I've been told they are not given free food, sometimes they don't buy enough or they get summoned to army at a bad time and show up with low food. I do not want the AI armies buying too much food, in some old versions I had seen the AI armies literally buy every peace of food in my town. That's incredibly destructive to your eco and you can't just tell your town "No" don't sell Mesui anymore food, they bad". I'm glad it's been changed to be more reasonable.

shouldn't lords have a bigger inventory? couse i see it many times that army they leeding get starved in very short time, a weekor so
This happens when you are in the army as a lord, not the head of the army. Apparently they buy too little food or don't do it at all, because it happens too often. Literally in every military campaign. It is very annoying when you bought food for 500 days and after a couple of meters you already have 360

If you are the army leader, you can resolve this by travelling to settlements so that the lords in your army can purchase food.

If this is happening as an army follower, they may prioritize a military target over the starvation. If there is a particular situation that you find problematic and have a savegame for, you can share it in the tech support section so that @mexxico can examine it.
Just some observations: it is because the AI lords aren't playing like the player. Players generally gather a relatively large number of pack animals and use that to boost their food on-hand to very high levels -- I'll edit in a pic when I get home but the jist was I made a point of hauling years' worth of food around, just to make sure food wasn't a concern if I decided to siege down a town.

Maybe AI lords slated to form an army should try to do something similar -- lots of pack animals, a huge amount of food.

edit:
wo5IzYW.png

Last edited:
Just some observations: it is because the AI lords aren't playing like the player. Players generally gather a relatively large number of pack animals and use that to boost their food on-hand to very high levels -- I'll edit in a pic when I get home but the jist was I made a point of hauling years' worth of food around, just to make sure food wasn't a concern if I decided to siege down a town.

Maybe AI lords slated to form an army should try to do something similar -- lots of pack animals, a huge amount of food.
They better add the feature I want to build my fiefs more farms then at the same time! If musei start cleaning out my town foods I'm start chopping everyone's heads off again! It's all fun and game until somebody tanks your food supply!

Hmm. Most of my food comes from loots. I don't really buy them. Do the AI loot food? Because realistically speaking they should. If they don't, then I guess it will be the most logical fix. Armies ran on food and looting the food of a defeated army was a huge incentive.

Hmm. Most of my food comes from loots. I don't really buy them. Do the AI loot food? Because realistically speaking they should. If they don't, then I guess it will be the most logical fix. Armies ran on food and looting the food of a defeated army was a huge incentive.
All loot the AI collects is instantly turned into money.

I see. I guess they should just add an exception for food then?
It would help, but I don't think that would do much for an army. They eat a lot of food. A particularly large army can go through approximately the weekly production (80-120) of a grain village in a single day.

I humbly submit that a pop-up suggestion to visit a settlement when a player-led army is running out of food is the best solution to the OP's problem. As is the case with lots of strategy layer stuff, the simulation is quite sophisticated, but that sophistication, and the life it brings to the simulation, are hidden from the player.

This particular AI behavior does not need fixing as much as plenty of others do. Ananda's point about it being good for the AI to occasionally not act perfectly rationally is a good one. It should also be difficult logistically to maintain large force concentrations, since armies could historically be more populous than villages they passed through or occupied. I also like the extant aspect of gaining influence by sharing food with undersupplied lords in the party.

Why do the lords always starve? example. you bought food for 200 days and then joined the army, after a couple of steps they write to you that you shared the army with starving soldiers and you take 50 food for 2 steps in the army, please correct this
This is why if I want to join an army I wait until it gets to it's destination and starts sieging before I join.

Soooo...With the Aserai this game (1.6.0). Fairly early in the game (just joined them a week or two ago). Just started a war with the Southern Empire. Watched them start an army of over 1700 in the middle of Aserai territory. Slow as Hell of course, so I go to Husn Fulq, do a tourney & a couple other things, then go out and pick them up just approaching Southern Empire Territory. They take a detour to Husn Fulq which I assume is to stock up on food, although they aren't yet losing troops. I watch the messages above Husn Fulq and it tells me all the lords recruiting troops & donating them to the town. OK, seems good, the town isn't heavily stocked with defenders. Then they leave the town. Within 10 seconds they start losing troops. HUH? You were running out of food, you just visited a town and you didn't buy any???? I know there was about 400 grain there because I bought about 15-20 grain myself. Also, as I watch they pass Shibal Zumr, a grain village, without stopping and continue to lose troops. I know they are lost because of food, because I see the wounded within the army steadily rising as they continue losing troops.

After typing the above I went back and checked...Husn Fulq only has 35 grain left, so I suppose its possible they bought the grain, but if they did, why are they out of food as soon as they leave the town? 400 food won't last real long for an army of 1700, but it won't disappear in an hour either. Also, I checked Shibal Zumr and it has 125 grain in it. I know it isn't desertion because of lack of pay because 1) we aren't paying any tributes or merc wages and 2) the troops are not disappearing, they are moving to wounded.

I want to ask the Devs why the armies start so far from the front lines and usually wait until they are full so they are passed by snails as they move across the country. I also want to know why they don't provide basic food logic to the lords. Many times I've started an army & by the time the lords reach me they have 0 active troops because they ran out of food on the way to meet me & didn't bother looking for any. One time I had at least 5 lords arrive at my army with 0 troops.

(Edit) So I watched them go to besiege Danustica. Once they started the siege the number of active troops started raising again. I mean...it makes sense that the army commander would say 'We're low on food. No one gets to eat until we start the siege.' But I can't believe its actually programmed that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom