The European Union. Everyone keep calm. Be civil.

Users who are viewing this thread

let's unpack

Says the one posting magazine covers whose meanings you probably did not even get. Hint: The Spiegel did not believe Merkel is a Nazi. The Spiegel said you believe that.
I never said I've read the magazine. Also, the title says: how the europeans look at the Germans.
Yeah. Well, you do know how representative democracies work? Hint: You do not vote everybody into power, but you vote certain bodies into power who then create a government.
Elected representatives should be the only ones in a "democracy" to wield power.
Hint: The word democracy derives from the ancient Greek: δῆμος, démos, "people" and κράτος, krátos, "power" and etymologically means "government of the people", or system of government in which sovereignty is exercised, directly or indirectly, by the people.
The Treaty of Lisbon is the solution to accepting the rejection of a full constitution while implementing necessary organisational aspects to keep the EU running. The only alternative would have been the dissolution of the EU, but people just voted they don't want a EU constitution.
Are you kidding me?
You cannot simply post something random without any academic credibility or journalistic reputation that is international known and expect people to waste 45 minutes of their time expecting it will convince them of anything. Why should people?
You can use google and do your research about the journalist.

I agree that any country can leave the EU or revert to its national currency, but very few countries have the strength of the UK.
There’s nothing strong about too many people believing lies rather than researching the facts before voting for Brexit. There has been and will be no Brexit dividend. The UK economy has suffered from Brexit even if the Conservatives blame it all on COVID lockdowns and Ukraine war energy/price inflation. BTW I voted against Brexit.

Brexit has been good for European unity, if not for its coffers. Favorability ratings for EU are up, also because of its role in the Covid crisis and rallying the states for Ukraine.
Extremist parties mostly abandoned various -exit plans as unpopular.

Brexit might lead to the breakup of the UK, if Nicola Sturgeon gets another Independence vote.
Looks even. They shouldn't hold such important referendums for such an important change, if they don't have a constitution-changing 2/3 support (that's the usual constitutional majority in modern democracies which have a proportional voting system, so that kind of majority is very hard to achieve in parliaments - except in Hungary). For independence, I would set the bar even higher at 80% or so. That means independence projects should try to campaign for a number of years and manage to convince the greater majority of people. One campaigning season and a simple majority is irresponsible.
Same can be said for the Brexit vote in retrospect: a plain, and slim at that, majority, shouldn't suffice for major changes in economic conditions and rights.

As a comparison, I give you the Slovenian independence referendum from 1990, with a 91% turnout and 96% yes votes. That kind of support didn't happen over night (also an antagonistic and aggressive Milosevic helped).

if they don't have a constitution-changing 2/3 support
Would be a buffer vs fads.

“You can fool all of the people some of time; you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time.” A.Lincoln

PS - support for Brexit will continue to decline as it was old-age related and Brexit supporters are dying out.

Last edited:
Never mind the cost of living and trade barriers, what do the Scots think about Prince Harry leading a Scottish armed rebellion and winning the Scottish crown? Henry I Markle of the Scots does sound interesting.

Never mind the cost of living and trade barriers, what do the Scots think about Prince Harry leading a Scottish armed rebellion and winning the Scottish crown? Henry I Markle of the Scots does sound interesting.
Bonnie Prince Harry was born in Paddington and there’s no religious schism to draw Highland Catholic support anymore. However, the Stone of Scone was returned to Edinburg Castle in 1996 (stolen by Longshanks). So, it’s available for coronations and Megan could hock the Scottish Crown Jewels. BTW I was born in Scotland and my ancestors are Scottish, I’ve just lived in England most of my life.

Last edited:
Bonnie Prince Harry was born in Paddington and there’s no religious schism to draw Highland Catholic support anymore. However, the Stone of Scone was returned to Edinburg Castle in 1996 (stolen by Longshanks). So, it’s available for coronations and Megan could hock the Scottish Crown Jewels. BTW I was born in Scotland and my ancestors are Scottish, I’ve just lived in England most of my life.
Well, that explains your Highlander or whatever avatar, although I imagine you more as a Trainspotting character that escaped to England, got clean and learned programming.

Back
Top Bottom