The election of a new king!

Users who are viewing this thread

paladinx333

Sergeant at Arms
There is some code in the game that would appear to allow for the election of a new king. I am not sure if it is all working or not.

Has anyone ever seen the election of a king? Have any of you ever been elected as king of an existing faction?

There is some interesting stuff in this game, unfortunately it seems like you need dnSpy to see some of it. Some of it is just stubs for pieces not currently in the game or perhaps even cancelled. The king election thing appears to be mostly or entirely there.

If the election of a need king is working... I have some interesting ideas regarding the future of Vlandia..
:devilish:

There is some code in the game that would appear to allow for the election of a new king. I am not sure if it is all working or not.

Has anyone ever seen the election of a king? Have any of you ever been elected as king of an existing faction?

There is some interesting stuff in this game, unfortunately it seems like you need dnSpy to see some of it. Some of it is just stubs for pieces not currently in the game or perhaps even cancelled. The king election thing appears to be mostly or entirely there.

If the election of a need king is working... I have some interesting ideas regarding the future of Vlandia..
Im guessing its tied to the rebellion feature they said they wanted to implement.

This is from the 1.4.3 patch notes:
Fixed and enabled the succession kingdom decision that triggers on royal death for the player and AI.
----
Im guessing its tied to the rebellion feature they said they wanted to implement.
I think rebellions will work like this: when security goes below a certain amount there will be a chance for militia to rebel against your garrison. At least that's what I remember from code digging. This could be a older draft of it too.

----

I think rebellions will work like this: when security goes below a certain amount there will be a chance for militia to rebel against your garrison. At least that's what I remember from code digging. This could be a older draft of it too.
When you do the Folly quest and talk to the lords, you will find the king who talks about his actions in the battle and you will find a lord who talks about how the king failed in the battle, so im guessing that will tie into rebellion aswell, meaning theres likely to be a faction of clans, or atleast one clan joining the rebellion, or likely leading it. My guess is that a faction like Vlandia might have more of these potential rebellios clans when its implemented.

When you do the Folly quest and talk to the lords, you will find the king who talks about his actions in the battle and you will find a lord who talks about how the king failed in the battle, so im guessing that will tie into rebellion aswell, meaning theres likely to be a faction of clans, or atleast one clan joining the rebellion, or likely leading it. My guess is that a faction like Vlandia might have more of these potential rebellios clans when its implemented.
This is from way back in the Diplomacy thread.
Btw we need to have some understanding of what TW thinks a rebellion is because two concepts have been thrown about using “rebellion”. The way I’ve seen TW use it is “a town will rebel against its owner” NOT “a clan will rebel against a kingdom and found its own”. So I’m wondering how best for us to describe so we don’t confuse TW

4-Generally kingdoms are getting more powerfull or losing power each year linerly. Losing kingdoms or winning kingdoms do not change much and this can make game boring. As you look table I shared above Khuzait fortifications are increasing each year and NE and WE are decreasing each year. In some years there should be unexpected things like a strong kingdom losing 2-3 fortifications or weak kingdom getting 2-3 new fortifications. This can be done by rebellions after now or we can add other mechanics for this to happen.
5-We should make rebellions especially effecting towns with less loyality which are ruled by a king at different culture.

I am aganist placing strict rules currently. I was fan of 25 days strict truce period previously because in these times there was no tribute system, player was paying a kingdom 100K to make truce then just 1-2 days later same kingdom was declaring war again so these times strict rules were needed. Now we have tribute system and if a kingdom break truce they lose tribute income. So we can get rid of strict rules like forcing kingdoms X days of truce after peace. Its better to balance things naturally if possible. So if we determine tribute amounts carefully kingdoms will not break truce just after war is declared except some special situations I mentioned before.

About alliances feature I have no information about this. We need to first implement revolts / rebellions. Currently loyality variable of settlements are nearly useless.

Thanks for sharing that Gryphon. Maybe we will get both town revolts and clan rebellions?
I hope so, but thinking through it, revolts needs to come before alliances or clan rebellions are considered. Revolts is a pretty simple mechanic that can seriously help snowballing by creating a new "enemy" for the expanding kingdoms to focus on and provide opportunities for weaker kingdoms to take back their kingdom.

I do wonder how it will impact a player made kingdom and if the culture that matters is the one you choose when making a kingdom or your own personal starting culture. So if im a vlandian who makes a kingdom in sturgia and pick the sturgian culture, will they be more likely to revolt because im vlandian or because I chose their culture they will like me? Right now governor bonuses are based off your starting culture so it makes me think that's what they will choose but I truly hope not. You should be able to renounce your culture and have your kingdom based on the culture you choose (Like King Rollo and the Normans). Otherwise you'll have a bad time starting a kingdom anywhere but your "homeland" because of revolts.

This is from way back in the Diplomacy thread.
Im pretty sure i remember reading a post about clan rebellions ages ago, but im not a 100%. This does not exclude it as i read it, but it does seem a bit weird, city rebellions could be a fun system aswell i guess, though it will be more of a slight annoyance to a kingdom, than am actual threat to it. Having a rebellion already happening at the start of the game (3 empire factions) it would feel a bit wierd of them to not implement similar things for the other kingsdoms, more so on ruler death, though an arguement could be made for a system like that, making the empire situation less special, and would the 3 empire factions also be able to have "mini" rebellions in them, that would also be a question. guess we could try asking a dev @mexxico if theres any new/clarifying info about this.

----

The 'Separatism' mod has an option to enable the unused vanilla rebellion code and this is basically what it is. A new rebel clan named after the city (i.e. Marunath's Rebels) pops up if settlement loyalty is too low.

The 'Separatism' mod has an option to enable the unused vanilla rebellion code and this is basically what it is. A new rebel clan named after the city (i.e. Marunath's Rebels) pops up if settlement loyalty is too low.
Oh, so it's in a somewhat working state. Good to know. Hopefully their plans on rebellions includes more than that. Clan rebellions would really spice things up.

Yes, I finally did it.... I'm the new Emperor of the Northern Calradic Empire.... Don't ask me how, but I think it Clan Tier related (I'm tier 5-6) last i remember... I don't think I'm the only one @wolfson if i recaal managed to be the king of Vlandia as well...

But, I think it's more Can tier related, maybe relation take spart, Idk and not 100% sure of that yet, if it's implemented the relation part(friendship etc)

Anyway, I shouldnt be on... I'm on vacation gf would kill if saw me on (LOL)

Have nice weekend

and by the way this was before the update, ok? Haven't got that time to play the new patches yet

Ruler elections are working, but they're in need of some more polishing.

It's been awhile since I've looked into it, but from what I recall, the merit formula takes a bunch of different factors into account, including things like lords' political ideologies (egalitarian/authoritarian/oligarchic) and clan strength. Unfortunately, the last time I checked, the effect from overall clan wealth mostly drowns out the other factors, so the crown usually just goes to the clan leader with the most money.

You can see it in action if you join a faction and then use the console to kill the king (using "campaign.kill_hero [HeroName]"). It's essentially just like any other election, and what's actually accounted for under the hood is concealed from the player.

Ruler elections are working, but they're in need of some more polishing.

It's been awhile since I've looked into it, but from what I recall, the merit formula takes a bunch of different factors into account, including things like lords' political ideologies (egalitarian/authoritarian/oligarchic) and clan strength. Unfortunately, the last time I checked, the effect from overall clan wealth mostly drowns out the other factors, so the crown usually just goes to the clan leader with the most money.

You can see it in action if you join a faction and then use the console to kill the king (using "campaign.kill_hero [HeroName]"). It's essentially just like any other election, and what's actually accounted for under the hood is concealed from the player.
Do you remember anything about how the player clans political ideology gets set or did it ignore that stuff for the player?

Do you remember anything about how the player clans political ideology gets set or did it ignore that stuff for the player?
It behaves as if the player doesn't have an ideology. Many other lords don't have ideologies either, and I think that's actually a bit of an issue. Political ideologies are pre-assigned in "lords" xml file, and I don't think there's a way for lords to be given one dynamically, so ideologies will eventually be phased out of the campaign.

It behaves as if the player doesn't have an ideology. Many other lords don't have ideologies either, and I think that's actually a bit of an issue. Political ideologies are pre-assigned in "lords" xml file, and I don't think there's a way for lords to be given one dynamically, so ideologies will eventually be phased out of the campaign.
Very interesting. Would be pretty cool to decide what your political ideology was.

Very interesting. Would be pretty cool to decide what your political ideology was.

Would be pretty cool to make the player decide that through the main questline (Ishatara and the other dude parts) or if Sandbox, by asking in the beginning of character creation, and then once you get progenitors life.

Yes, it is working. Yes, I've seen it in my own faction elect a new ruler. Unqid is fairly prone to dying towards 1094 or so, so you have some time grind up enough fiefs, renown, troops, income, etc. to stand an OK chance at being elected.

Yes, it is working. Yes, I've seen it in my own faction elect a new ruler. Unqid is fairly prone to dying towards 1094 or so, so you have some time grind up enough fiefs, renown, troops, income, etc. to stand an OK chance at being elected.

Awesome news. I think that the king of vlandia is due for an "accident" then. I believe that I have more fief and more money than anyone else in the kingdom. I am also very popular with my fellow lords, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for all the replies. This is all so fascinating. I totally miss the patch note for 1.4.3 that mentions it.

Time to see if I can be the new king then.
:xf-grin:

Back
Top Bottom