The effect of Games on mental health during lockdown - Bachelor Survey

Users who are viewing this thread

Dear forum member and fellow gamer,

My name is Christian aka DoF_White_Noise and I'm writing my thesis on the following topic: "Effects of Gaming on Mental Health during a Corona-lockdown".

Since alot of countries are still and / or again in a Lockdown, I came up with the idea of creating a survey and now I'm asking you, the Taleworlds Community, for your help by participating in this survey.

The link to the google spreadsheet is the following: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...STL40oQalzUrnZye_wnogdeA/viewform?usp=sf_link

I very much thank you for your time and effort, feel free to share it with your friends and if you have any feedback, post it down below!

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Idk how detailed you're going for here, but there should probably be a third choice for singleplayer/multiplayer preference. And I assume by foreigners you meant strangers?

Last edited:
Added the third choice :smile:

Yes, people you didn't know before lockdown for example - edit: You wanted to point out that this is the wrong term, got it and changed it :smile:

Last edited:
The question "During lockdown, what do you do to stay well and manage your mental health?" should perhaps have more than one reply option.
What is "diverse" gender? Simply "other", or "none of the above"?

Overall I would say my life has changed very little during lockdown. I see a few people less, and can't go to cafés, restaurants etc.
I still go to work as before. The lockdowns here is Denmark have also been less strict, with no curfews.

The question "During lockdown, what do you do to stay well and manage your mental health?" should perhaps have more than one reply option.
What is "diverse" gender? Simply "other", or "none of the above"?

Overall I would say my life has changed very little during lockdown. I see a few people less, and can't go to cafés, restaurants etc.
I still go to work as before. The lockdowns here is Denmark have also been less strict, with no curfews.

Thank you for your feedback! Changed the question into a checkbox one, so you can choose multiple answers (hopefully)
"none of the above" is a better term describing what I wanted to say, so I changed that aswell, thanks again!

There's a few questions that look like they should allow for more than one choice being selected (e.g., "Do you experience that playing video games increases the following?"), yet only let you pick one. Is that intended?

I also can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be preferable for you to focus on people from a single country... Following up on what Adorno said, different countries can have very different covid containment measures in place, and you are going to get a lot of confounding factors if you put everyone in the same bin. I would at least add a question asking which country you are in so that you can try and separate based on that if you want to (and it could also offer some interesting insights into what effect the different approaches lead to in terms of mental health).

There's a few questions that look like they should allow for more than one choice being selected (e.g., "Do you experience that playing video games increases the following?"), yet only let you pick one. Is that intended?

I also can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be preferable for you to focus on people from a single country... Following up on what Adorno said, different countries can have very different covid containment measures in place, and you are going to get a lot of confounding factors if you put everyone in the same bin. I would at least add a question asking which country you are in so that you can try and separate based on that if you want to (and it could also offer some interesting insights into what effect the different approaches lead to in terms of mental health).

Thanks for your feedback! My tired brain wasn't able to change it, so I did it now :grin:

I didn't put my focus on the country the people living in, but I took your suggestion into consideration and it convinced me so I added a new question

It might be worth adding a question on how many hours per week or per day you generally play, and possibly asking about addictive tendencies.
Personally I kind of enjoy gaming but I generally will get hyper-focused on a game for hours on end and feel like crap when I'm finished so I usually don't play games. During one of these lockdown periods I ended up playing a couple of games for obscene quantities of time, at first because I was bored and then later because it was almost a compulsion. I stopped after maybe 6 weeks or so but those weeks really ****ed me up.
I wish I'd just started smoking crack instead, at least I would have got some fun stories out of it.

It might be worth adding a question on how many hours per week or per day you generally play, and possibly asking about addictive tendencies.
Personally I kind of enjoy gaming but I generally will get hyper-focused on a game for hours on end and feel like crap when I'm finished so I usually don't play games. During one of these lockdown periods I ended up playing a couple of games for obscene quantities of time, at first because I was bored and then later because it was almost a compulsion. I stopped after maybe 6 weeks or so but those weeks really ****ed me up.
I wish I'd just started smoking crack instead, at least I would have got some fun stories out of it.

Hi, sorry for the late reply! First of all, thanks for your feedback! While addicitons are not my main focus, this would be worth investigating, considering the ammounts of time and effort we put into games. However, since the survey is already a couple of weeks old and I'm planning to end it soon and collect the results, I won't edit it in, but I guess, someone else will do it in the next couple of years in another research!

Have a great weekend!

Back
Top Bottom