The devs can see themselves where Bannerlord does not work as intended

Users who are viewing this thread

Nordous

Sergeant Knight
Now I want to bring this playthrough to your attention:

Some smart guy announces a single player campaign speedrun, and all concerned with BL SP balance should really see what he does. There are some fun restarts in the first episodes, as well as some insane cheesing. And this is a great panopticon of the SP’s general balance in the current state.

There’s a lot of *this-and-that* posting on the Forum with people clamouring chaotically on their opinions on the game’s experience, while there’s also some consensus on the balance issues the majority can point out. However this Strat Gaming dude does a very analytical approach to determine what *the game* makes a thinking player do to reach the set goals, thus tunnelling the gameplay towards a few narrow meta-strategies. This is extremely illustrative in this particular playthrough.

These videos make you realise that while you can play Bannerlord any way you want, you currently have to play Bannerlord in a cheesy and wonky way if you want a reliable progress in a single player campaign. And while we notice that many things are mostly playing out fine, some things are strikingly ridiculous, such as smithing and grinding looters. And the late game is where things really start to drag on - it actually looks playable to me, although very grindy. A lot of suggestions and improvements can probably be inspired by this well presented demonstration.

All in all, this playthrough is actually quite fun. In my opinion, it does demonstrate *mostly* coherent and great gameplay. However Taleworlds can get a really clear picture of what’s happening in a typical single player campaign, and I believe this can save them huge time of testing and reading the Forum. I’d honestly want them to see this playthrough and ponder if this is how they want Bannerlord eventually, and what can be done to polish the roughest edges of the current game quickly.

Last edited:
Oh look another one of these posts "A YouTube video with enough views to show up in my feed, so I'll show everyone else". You got a crushy wushy on @ ? @Strat Want to tell us all about him ?
and I believe this can save them huge time of testing and reading the Forum
^This is not trolling but it really should be, because it's basically the most annoying thing you can say on a forum, "Oh the devs should watch a video instead of reading a forum".

While we're at it though here is Lesser Scholar's speed run, he has a lot of interesting speed run type videos and other challenges.

And here's the "look at my youtube" board
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?forums/minstrels-corner-aars-screenshots-videos.721/

This is an unbiased recommendation, I chose to take my time to write this post, so deal with it! As the saying goes, it’s better to see once. I’m glad you have been digging a lot of similar content and are aware of it. Honestly I don’t have the highest opinion on the quality of the Forum conversations, I often get embarrassed for the devs when I read it. I wanted to express an opinion that speedruns can serve as a good dissection of a game for advanced balancing.

Last edited:
I don't know man. If I were a TW dev, I'd rather watch Strat's detailed test vides than reading through hundreds of threads with thousands of posts.

Oh look another one of these posts "A YouTube video with enough views to show up in my feed, so I'll show everyone else". You got a crushy wushy on @ ? @Strat Want to tell us all about him ?

^This is not trolling but it really should be, because it's basically the most annoying thing you can say on a forum, "Oh the devs should watch a video instead of reading a forum".

While we're at it though here is Lesser Scholar's speed run, he has a lot of interesting speed run type videos and other challenges.

And here's the "look at my youtube" board
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?forums/minstrels-corner-aars-screenshots-videos.721/

While I do appreciate all your efforts to support BL development through your suggestions, reports and complaints I'm quite wondering what kind of problem you have with people suggesting interesting videos about this game.
I know you have some issues with a certain youtuber (and I agree with you) but the speed run showcased by Strat represents a lot of work, content is really good quality, well commented and illustrated.
This kind of video is a good way for TW devs to visualise the game from a different perspective while chilling out and drinking a coffee (or a thea, or a beer or whatever...).

Now I want to bring this playthrough to your attention:

Some smart guy announces a single player campaign speedrun, and all concerned with BL SP balance should really see what he does. There are some fun restarts in the first episodes, as well as some insane cheesing. And this is a great panopticon of the SP’s general balance in the current state.

There’s a lot of *this-and-that* posting on the Forum with people clamouring chaotically on their opinions on the game’s experience, while there’s also some consensus on the balance issues the majority can point out. However this Strat Gaming dude does a very analytical approach to determine what *the game* makes a thinking player do to reach the set goals, thus tunnelling the gameplay towards a few narrow meta-strategies. This is extremely illustrative in this particular playthrough.

These videos make you realise that while you can play Bannerlord any way you want, you currently have to play Bannerlord in a cheesy and wonky way if you want a reliable progress in a single player campaign. And while we notice that many things are mostly playing out fine, some things are strikingly ridiculous, such as smithing and grinding looters. And the late game is where things really start to drag on - it actually looks playable to me, although very grindy. A lot of suggestions and improvements can probably be inspired by this well presented demonstration.

All in all, this playthrough is actually quite fun. In my opinion, it does demonstrate *mostly* coherent and great gameplay. However Taleworlds can get a really clear picture of what’s happening in a typical single player campaign, and I believe this can save them huge time of testing and reading the Forum. I’d honestly want them to see this playthrough and ponder if this is how they want Bannerlord eventually, and what can be done to polish the roughest edges of the current game quickly.

That serie was actually well made and quite enjoyable to watch.

He is a rank amateur though. Not sure what you are supposed to learn from it.

However Taleworlds can get a really clear picture of what’s happening in a typical single player campaign, and I believe this can save them huge time of testing and reading the Forum. I’d honestly want them to see this playthrough and ponder if this is how they want Bannerlord eventually, and what can be done to polish the roughest edges of the current game quickly.
Yo, mexxico spent months watching streams and BL videos for like two or three hours a day:
Somedays I cannot find time to write in forum. In a day I try to watch streams 2-3 hours (Italian Spartacus, lionheartx10 and even a Russian guy's (DreadzTv) stream at twitch to see where players suffer) and 7-8 hours development so not much time remains.
He wasn't the only one; there was some other TW guy watching streams at the same time I was on a handful of occasions. The (campaign) devs have a really good idea of how the campaign flows already.

edit:
and he watched huge portions of the economy videos that @Flesson19 made.

What's fun is that you can listen to a video in the background as you code. It's a doable multi-tasking. Reading a forum while coding, however, is not.

Stopped watching at 2:24 in - the fact that this many years removed from M&B, that the chief opening game strategy IS STILL to circle kite Looters with Bow from horseback and repeat/reload arrows is pathetic. Theres 10,000 ways to make entry level experience mining more interesting -hint it starts with AI..

Stopped watching at 2:24 in - the fact that this many years removed from M&B, that the chief opening game strategy IS STILL to circle kite Looters with Bow from horseback and repeat/reload arrows is pathetic. Theres 10,000 ways to make entry level experience mining more interesting -hint it starts with AI..
Dont worry, its not smart, its a waste of time. Apart from super early (day 1) there is no benefit in doing it.

Later he finds out that you can let them run and hit them again, for more gains, rather than killing the fleeing men (that is a thing)... only to screw it up by assuming he can get even more out of wasting alot of time dragging looter parties together and fighting them in one big mob instead of just fighting them one party at a time (that is not a thing).

In MB it was smart to solo because the size of bandit spawns were heavily affected by your level (higher level, bigger spawns -> more everything).

Dont worry, its not smart, its a waste of time. Apart from super early (day 1) there is no benefit in doing it.

Later he finds out that you can let them run and hit them again, for more gains, rather than killing the fleeing men (that is a thing)... only to screw it up by assuming he can get even more out of wasting alot of time dragging looter parties together and fighting them in one big mob instead of just fighting them one party at a time (that is not a thing).

In MB it was smart to solo because the size of bandit spawns were heavily affected by your level (higher level, bigger spawns -> more everything).
Thanks -well reading from latest patch replies -seems they've made some decent strides in some other areas at least

Yo, mexxico spent months watching streams and BL videos for like two or three hours a day:

He wasn't the only one; there was some other TW guy watching streams at the same time I was on a handful of occasions. The (campaign) devs have a really good idea of how the campaign flows already.

edit:
and he watched huge portions of the economy videos that @Flesson19 made.
Wow, amazing to know all that!

Back
Top Bottom