The cost of armor just makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

At the average rate soldiers are paid It would take 100 men something like 8 in game years to afford a single high end chest piece.

So where is all this armor coming from there are wearing exactly? lol

I don't really see the purpose of this post tbh

Do you want all soldier wages to sky rocket? or do you want all armor to be dirt cheap?

Warband worked the same way and there were no issues with troops receiving their gear for practically free, otherwise the game would feel even more unbalanced.

But sure, some items in the game need to have their prices adjusted, but I don't care what items troops are given as long as they're balanced nicely.

I don't really see the purpose of this post tbh

Do you want all soldier wages to sky rocket? or do you want all armor to be dirt cheap?

Warband worked the same way and there were no issues with troops receiving their gear for practically free, otherwise the game would feel even more unbalanced.

But sure, some items in the game need to have their prices adjusted, but I don't care what items troops are given as long as they're balanced nicely.
It's an issue when the fastest way to make money early game is to spend 4-5k to marry someone and loot 500k+ of armor off them.... You can basically do that then buy every workshop and have an endless stream of money all within the first 30 days.

I thought we was discussing troops and their wages based on the armor they have, but yes that's an issue

I was mostly getting at that fact that armor is actually so valuable that it makes the cost of troops irrelevant. Selling a couple pieces of armor basically pays for an army indefinitely.

Slightly off-topic;
Wouldn't it be great if you paid the flat fee for soldier skills, and then had to pay yourself to arm and protect them?
That way armour and weaponry prices could be reduced, as well as the late-game cost would still be expensive.

I think blacksmiths make armor dynamically and improve skill over time, so it's possible that as more armor is made the price goes down just like other items. I noticed that prices go down permanently when you flood a market with some items.

There is horse armor that cost more than two productive enterprises. The bow prices are absolutely ridiculous compared to Warband. If you get the right helmet as loot, you never have to work again.

The highest priced items in the game are 5 to 6 times more expensive than they should be. Not only that, they simply aren't worth the money. The price is too high and the armor or damage values are too low. If I buy I bow that cost 30k I want the damn thing to shoot lightning instead of arrows.

I can get behind a system that uses non linear pricing to make the best gear disproportionately more expensive. The problem is that the curve being used for pricing is exponential in nature and the resulting prices are insane!

Slightly off-topic;
Wouldn't it be great if you paid the flat fee for soldier skills, and then had to pay yourself to arm and protect them?
That way armour and weaponry prices could be reduced, as well as the late-game cost would still be expensive.

That is the same mechanic that we have with horses. But if it worked that way we would have to buy every individual piece of armor, plus sword//shield, bow and arrows or whatever it is that the unit uses. If you have 100 troops to level up, that is a lot of individual items you are buying. I don't know that I would enjoy doing that :grin: .

Although I do like that they did that with horses myself, instead of mounted troops having higher maintenance. It makes getting mounted troops slightly more challenging, as it should be. But yeah paying for all the rest of the equipment could be nice in principle but I don't know that I would want to have to deal with the added micromanagement.

That is the same mechanic that we have with horses. But if it worked that way we would have to buy every individual piece of armor, plus sword//shield, bow and arrows or whatever it is that the unit uses. If you have 100 troops to level up, that is a lot of individual items you are buying. I don't know that I would enjoy doing that :grin: .

Although I do like that they did that with horses myself, instead of mounted troops having higher maintenance. It makes getting mounted troops slightly more challenging, as it should be. But yeah paying for all the rest of the equipment could be nice in principle but I don't know that I would want to have to deal with the added micromanagement.

In essence, after a battle, you should be able to loot the battlefield (kind of like Raiding), where the longer you spend time looting the corpses, the more riches you receive post-battle.
That way, you're not really struggling to maintain gear for your troops since every battle would allow you to upgrade them.
A simple system of a gear upgrade button could really reduce the time spent on that as well - kind of like it currently is for upgrading your troops... however, instead of paying a small sum of 75 gold for an upgrade that all of a sudden kits them out in armour, you'd simply be granting them the armour they have.

With that in mind, you'd only really need five or six different base recruits - Archers, One-Handed Infantry, Spear/Pike Infantry, Polearm Cavalry, Archer Cavalry, and maybe a difference between Two-Handed/One-Handed Infantry... then from there out, its what you acquire and can afford to provide your troops, which determines their class/effectiveness on the battlefield.

I admit, its a complex process... but its a lot more indepth and viable than the current system.

If it helps your immersion, just think of it like it was crafted by a famous artisan for royalty. It's not about the added protec, it's a statement for the rich and powerful. At least until the devs fix it lol:smile:

In essence, after a battle, you should be able to loot the battlefield (kind of like Raiding), where the longer you spend time looting the corpses, the more riches you receive post-battle.
That way, you're not really struggling to maintain gear for your troops since every battle would allow you to upgrade them.
A simple system of a gear upgrade button could really reduce the time spent on that as well - kind of like it currently is for upgrading your troops... however, instead of paying a small sum of 75 gold for an upgrade that all of a sudden kits them out in armour, you'd simply be granting them the armour they have.

With that in mind, you'd only really need five or six different base recruits - Archers, One-Handed Infantry, Spear/Pike Infantry, Polearm Cavalry, Archer Cavalry, and maybe a difference between Two-Handed/One-Handed Infantry... then from there out, its what you acquire and can afford to provide your troops, which determines their class/effectiveness on the battlefield.

I admit, its a complex process... but its a lot more indepth and viable than the current system.

Sounds spot like what we already have. Alot. The looting after battle is pretty accurate I think. I mean how long does it take a couple hours out of the already fast day. And then your not gonna get every piece off of every soldier, just what's still good and not damaged.

Back
Top Bottom