The Conqueror : Serving a cause

finde

Count
WBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Hello, i delivered the letter to the vikings. After thar i recieved a few quests from Jarl Rathbarth Ragnarsson. Now im stuck in this quest. I conquered the place which is meant but the king didnt gave it to me. But i secured the place over 30 days. The quest didnt achieved. Am i missing some points? What should i do to the quest is counts. Thanks for reading and here is a picture of quest.

 

SuperPaper

Recruit
Best answers
0
Anybody having any tips for this quest? I can't ever build up my damn army to the point you'd need to take the city (it has 250 people in it, a lot of which are elite troops for some reason), and THEN defend it from the horde of mother****ers who come my way. As soon as I take the city about 1200 troops from The Kingdom of Alban come to take it back.

Also having trouble raising the money to sustain the army I need, since I'm only at a measly 130-140 or so men and it's nearly 3k in weekly costs. Unfortunately, that army is too small to take a village/property, but also too large to be profitable to hunt the 3 parties of vikings that are in the entire area (nothing else to attack that wouldn't be a reputation loss unfortunately).

It'd be one thing if I could ****ing raid monastaries like the good pagan I am, but you get hit with such a retarded reputation loss from EVERYBODY (including people who would benefit) that it's not a feasible strategy.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
 

k61824

Veteran
Best answers
0
SuperPaper said:
Anybody having any tips for this quest? I can't ever build up my damn army to the point you'd need to take the city (it has 250 people in it, a lot of which are elite troops for some reason), and THEN defend it from the horde of mother****ers who come my way. As soon as I take the city about 1200 troops from The Kingdom of Alban come to take it back.

Also having trouble raising the money to sustain the army I need, since I'm only at a measly 130-140 or so men and it's nearly 3k in weekly costs. Unfortunately, that army is too small to take a village/property, but also too large to be profitable to hunt the 3 parties of vikings that are in the entire area (nothing else to attack that wouldn't be a reputation loss unfortunately).

It'd be one thing if I could ****ing raid monastaries like the good pagan I am, but you get hit with such a retarded reputation loss from EVERYBODY (including people who would benefit) that it's not a feasible strategy.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
The normal way may involve getting the marshal to lay siege there.  that way you have lower losses and it starts with ~100 people (If you are marshal or you take it singlehandedly it there will be ZERO garrison forces).  You'll need a lot of renown and relation with the faction ruler to get it awarded to you because you didn't take it singlehandedly.

Keeping it may be tougher.  I'd suggest minimizing battle size so you will have lower casualties.

For money I find that selling prisoner is the hands-down most profitable thing you can do without modifying your reputation.  140 guys with various levels (from half of what a lord carries) gives you almost 14k.  Just go hunt for lords/bandits with blunt weapons.  in case you beat a few lords the army that comes after your castle will be less threatening as well.
 

Bluebeard

Recruit
Best answers
0
SuperPaper said:
Anybody having any tips for this quest? I can't ever build up my damn army to the point you'd need to take the city (it has 250 people in it, a lot of which are elite troops for some reason), and THEN defend it from the horde of mother****ers who come my way. As soon as I take the city about 1200 troops from The Kingdom of Alban come to take it back.

Also having trouble raising the money to sustain the army I need, since I'm only at a measly 130-140 or so men and it's nearly 3k in weekly costs. Unfortunately, that army is too small to take a village/property, but also too large to be profitable to hunt the 3 parties of vikings that are in the entire area (nothing else to attack that wouldn't be a reputation loss unfortunately).

It'd be one thing if I could ******** raid monastaries like the good pagan I am, but you get hit with such a retarded reputation loss from EVERYBODY (including people who would benefit) that it's not a feasible strategy.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
This is what I did.

I was a norse raider so my reputation was already down the bin. I raided A LOT and saved a lot of money. I had around 100k when I tried to conquer the fortress, with a crappy army.
So I went to Northumbria, if I recall correctly around Bebbanburgh, there are many Norwegian Viking parties going around. They are "rebels" / bandits. If your army is big enough, they will run away from you. Chase them. Once you meet their leader, ask them to join you. If you are lucky, they will join for free or after some gold. If not, just leave and retry.

Hire as many Norwegian Viking as possible, they are awesome heavy infantry. Now go north. Make a permanent camp somewhere around the coast of Scotland. Now go pick your ship(s), and bring it near the pictish city you need to conquer. Now go back to the camp, pick 150 norwegian vikings leaving the rest in the camp, and go assault the city. Build the ladders as soon as possible. It might be that while you are building them, some pictish lords might assault you. I had to kill two stacks of 300/400 picts while I was sieging. If you lose too many men, simply go recruit more norwegian vikings, or take them from the camp. Now, assault the city. Your heavy infantry goes through picts like knife through butter. It shouldn't be hard to take the fortress by storm. Once you have conquered it, you should have AT LEAST 100 norwegian vikings. I've found out that 100 of them are enough to withstand an assault of over 600 pictish warriors.

Prepare for some massive battles. The picts will assault you with all they have, but their troops are no match for your chainmail wearing heavy shield using vikings. Defeat stack after stack they throw at you. If you ever lose too many troops, take the ship, go to the camp, take reinforcements and bring them back to the town. If you ever run out of supplies, run south and raid the monastery, it only takes a few hours to get there.

Overall you will have really high weekly expenses while mantaining this army. I was losing 9k each week. But I was rich, and I knew it only had to last one month. And besides, I can always make more gold if I want :grin:
 

Vestinus

Sergeant at Arms
WB
Best answers
0
I conquered it in a similar way.
But I found extremely easier to knock incoming army facing them in open field!
Once I defeated 3-4 waves including their king, I leaved the most of the army (120s) as garrison
and sailed to get new troops and money (from 100k and 2-3 ships I had to bought 3 other ships to fast move to the castle...so now it's left somethin like 20-40k!!).

Now I'm in Denmark getting men and money, I have to wait other 20 days to complete the quest.

Little ot

Remind that it's based on brytenwalda, next expense: get some production activity!
 

KACollver

Veteran
Best answers
0
Bluebeard said:
This is what I did.

I was a norse raider so my reputation was already down the bin. I raided A LOT and saved a lot of money. I had around 100k when I tried to conquer the fortress, with a crappy army.
So I went to Northumbria, if I recall correctly around Bebbanburgh, there are many Norwegian Viking parties going around. They are "rebels" / bandits. If your army is big enough, they will run away from you. Chase them. Once you meet their leader, ask them to join you. If you are lucky, they will join for free or after some gold. If not, just leave and retry.

Hire as many Norwegian Viking as possible, they are awesome heavy infantry. Now go north. Make a permanent camp somewhere around the coast of Scotland. Now go pick your ship(s), and bring it near the pictish city you need to conquer. Now go back to the camp, pick 150 norwegian vikings leaving the rest in the camp, and go assault the city. Build the ladders as soon as possible. It might be that while you are building them, some pictish lords might assault you. I had to kill two stacks of 300/400 picts while I was sieging. If you lose too many men, simply go recruit more norwegian vikings, or take them from the camp. Now, assault the city. Your heavy infantry goes through picts like knife through butter. It shouldn't be hard to take the fortress by storm. Once you have conquered it, you should have AT LEAST 100 norwegian vikings. I've found out that 100 of them are enough to withstand an assault of over 600 pictish warriors.

Prepare for some massive battles. The picts will assault you with all they have, but their troops are no match for your chainmail wearing heavy shield using vikings. Defeat stack after stack they throw at you. If you ever lose too many troops, take the ship, go to the camp, take reinforcements and bring them back to the town. If you ever run out of supplies, run south and raid the monastery, it only takes a few hours to get there.

Overall you will have really high weekly expenses while mantaining this army. I was losing 9k each week. But I was rich, and I knew it only had to last one month. And besides, I can always make more gold if I want :grin:
You made that sound so easy to maintain that big of an army, like the most gold I've ever had on me was like 34k from raiding like 4 monestaries and making my rep like -50. Also even with my companies with leadership and my own high leadership my army size is like 120 max and my 3 boats can only carry like 112. I was wondering if there is an easy way to upgrade recruits? Like does improving a fort offer an easy way to do so?
 

Diax

Recruit
Best answers
0
Hello i need help what we do if the Castle is ALREADY in northhymbre control ..... what we do ? if anyone know please say me XD  the alban faction is  dead  already lol ... so anyone know ..
 

Idibil

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
0
Diax said:
Hello i need help what we do if the Castle is ALREADY in northhymbre control ..... what we do ? if anyone know please say me XD  the alban faction is  dead  already lol ... so anyone know ..
You need to guard it 30 days (you advoid other kingdom take it.
 

lordcolm99

Recruit
Best answers
0
I captured din bych, and idk if i held it for over 30 days, i think i did but. the king of ws is now the lord of din bych and i think thats why serving a cause didnt complete. would i have to own it? so maybe i could join another faction, capture it. then join back and ask for support from other vassals?
 

Idibil

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
0
lordcolm99 said:
I captured din bych, and idk if i held it for over 30 days, i think i did but. the king of ws is now the lord of din bych and i think thats why serving a cause didnt complete. would i have to own it? so maybe i could join another faction, capture it. then join back and ask for support from other vassals?
You are vassal of Wessex, you need to go, conquest and keep it 30 days (sometimes it need 31 or 32 days). After, you will get a msg and you need to back with your king :smile:
 

lordcolm99

Recruit
Best answers
0
Would i have to join another kingdom, and capture it again. since the king of wessex now owns din bych?
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Best answers
31
lordcolm99 said:
Would i have to join another kingdom, and capture it again. since the king of wessex now owns din bych?
just defend it for 30-35 days:

Idibil said:
Diax said:
Hello i need help what we do if the Castle is ALREADY in northhymbre control ..... what we do ? if anyone know please say me XD  the alban faction is  dead  already lol ... so anyone know ..
You need to guard it 30 days (you advoid other kingdom take it.
 

MasterVegito

Recruit
Best answers
0
The quest works, It's just too long. 30 days? If you play for the plot, thats WAY too long, considering how soon this quest is given to you.
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Best answers
31
MasterVegito said:
The quest works, It's just too long. 30 days? If you play for the plot, thats WAY too long, considering how soon this quest is given to you.
why is it too long? IRL it takes less than 10minutes. In-game it is just a small party of the campaign (90 to 1000 days, depends on your playstyle).
 

FG

Recruit
Best answers
0
Did anyone continue to keep din bych? I am already past this quest, but the damn welsh still keep coming in waves to capture this castle...........wasting alot of good men and time trying to hack them down each time
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Best answers
31
FG said:
Did anyone continue to keep din bych? I am already past this quest, but the damn welsh still keep coming in waves to capture this castle...........wasting alot of good men and time trying to hack them down each time
If you completed the quest (defend for 30ish days) its not longer your problem who owns the castle. So you do not need to worry about defending it anymore.

TLDR: let them
 

SomeHairyGuy

Sergeant
WBVCWF&S
Best answers
0
I've gotta be honest, this quest really frustrates me.

I'm playing with Northymbre and we were having a rough time with facing down the kingdoms of Gwynned and East Anglia; Northymbre was getting its arse kicked on a regular basis, so understandably it was disappointing when Mr R. Ragnarsson decided to piss off the Scots, effectively dooming my storyline campaign to a anticlimactic dead end. Within a few days Alban had struck south and taken Edinburgh, before moving on to besiege Bebbanburgh; meanwhile I had to tramp it north with my 180 or so Svear warriors (whom I had to withdraw from my only fortress, Wicstun - which was then easily conquered by the East Anglians...), dodging lords and eventually taking a strategically worthless Dun Taruo which I could barely hold against the ensuing colossal waves of Picts. This was all after I'd spent a looong time just focussing on levelling my character/companions and recruiting high-level troops. To really put salt in the wound, I received a heavy wound to the face which I wasn't able to go and cure, since that would have meant leaving the fortress. I'm now having to try and totally destroy East Anglia and Gwynned beforehand, just so that Northymbre has the resources to take on the otherwise-peaceful Picts. Derp.
 

Idibil

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
0
The picts were a problem for Ragnar's sons. This quest is based on that part of the unknown story, where the danish needed to protect his rear as they went over anglos.
Well, when you conquered Dun Taruo, you need to guard it with a lot troops 30 days. Your tactic depend on your possibilities, army size etc... but you can leave some men in garrison and take others with you for distraction activities in Pictland. Dun Taruo walls are strong, you can stop also your enemies in assault.

I am sure other players can give better info than me.