The Brazilian Jiujitsu thread. For all things jitsu

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly curious how much of a following in jiujitsu this online forum has.  I'll make a roaster of practitioners in this thread if it gets popular along with their respective ranks, gi, nogi and more maybe.  For confirmation and addition to the roaster you have to have a picture with you wearing or holding your belt rank so not everyone claims to be blackbelt.  Not needed for anyone below bluebelt.

Current Taleworlds Roaster:
GI
Blackbelt:
Brownbelt:
Purplebelt:
Bluebelt: Rockerjesse
Whitebelt:

Nogi/MMA
Rhade
LittleJP

My pic:
1796537_436403056491598_1921179579_n.jpg

Sidenote, anyone excited for metamoris 3 or did the last one involving cyborg vs schaub leave a bad taste in your mouth?

I train in Brazilian Jiujitsu amongst other things.  :wink:

Quite a nice sport/art, incredibly fun and there are some very good practitioners.

I really like the slow progression through the ranks as well. At least where I am someone with a blue belt has a minimum of three to four years, purple belts more than six and black belts are rare but incredibly good.

Chicago has a nice scene for grapplers as well regarding competitions which should be fun.  :razz:

Through MMA, I train a decent amount of jits. I definitely don't enjoy rolling in the gi, I just don't find it to be very practical; how often am I going to be walking down the street and find myself in an altercation with a guy wearing a heavy collared shirt with a lapel that I can trust isn't going to tear, along with heavy reinforced cuffs on their longsleeve shirts I can pistol grip?

Regardless, not to de-rail, nogi has no rankings especially for MMA fighters. I suppose that makes me a white belt by default.

Muay Thai is the ****.

Slow progression is the way to go, I'm fine with bluebelt being 1 or 2 years but I've rolled with stripe 3-4 blues and purples occasionally from other schools that felt like whitebelts.  I don't understand how someone can honestly give someone a purple belt or higher who is only good at maybe one or two positions like mount or backmount, but god awful at the other aspects.

I agree rhade, I usually avoid using gi grips unless it is a technique that absolutely requires it such as a clock choke or collar choke.  I can see the use in a street setting but that is only because I live in a cold climate.  I still prefer it mostly for worst case scenario purposes and for sanitary reasons.

Muay thai is amazing, I really want to start training in that.

I do judo, and jiujitsu at the moment, once I add in muay thai I might begin mma as those 3 are extremely great compliments of eachother.

Does your brother do anything rhade?  I just got my friend into BJJ and it's awesome.  He loves it, I love it, and a frequent sparring partner does wonders for your skills beyond just school training.

Hmm i'm brazilian and this is the first time i see someone refer to jiu-jitsu as brazilian jiu-jitsu. Anyway I still prefer judo over jiu jitsu (i was grey belt  :roll: ) . Anyway North Shaolin Kung fu is my favorite martial art if i wasnt going to move from this city i'd still be training it. I still can say that 90% of the people who train jiu jitsu here do it just as a fitness activity, the same goes for muay thai as they are the most popular, on the judo scene there are more people dedicated to the martial art itself not just as an activity.

Yeah, people refer to Jiujitsu as Brazilian Jiujitsu now.  Originally Jiujitsu was a Japanese martial art, though it included a lot of weapon and non applicable techniques hidden within the good ones.  Jigoro Kano took Japanese Jujitsu and removed those said techniques forming Judo.  Then a man named Mitsuyo Maeda who was excellent at newaza or ground techniques began to spread his teachings.  Carlos and Helio Gracie were 2 Brazilian men who really began Brazilian JiuJitsu; Carlos decided to learn judo after watching Mitsuyo, and Helio learned from Carlos.  Helio was small and frail so he was not able to use most of the strength techniques and began adapting them to require less strength and be more technical.

Thus JJJ turned into Judo turned into BJJ

TLDR: Jigoro Kano took Japanese Jiujitsu and took out the bad techniques.
Mitsuyo liked the ground techniques and spread them overseas.
Carlos watched mitsuyo and decided to learn judo.
Helio learned from carlos and made jiujitsu more technical with less strength required..

Jujutsu still exists. Judo and BJJ are competition styles developed from Jujutsu.

And it's a bit unfair to say that Judo is just Jujutsu without the "bad" techniques. It's a matter of perspective. Jujutsu isn't ideal for competition, and Judo would've looked like a pretty bad school in the 16th century.

Van does MMA as well, but really hasn't dedicated much time at all to his ground work. I'd say he's a lot more of a kickboxer who does his best to keep things standing.

When I do work on the ground it's mainly just from my back, working a defensive guard with sweeps and threatning subs to be able to get back to my feet. I've met some great guys who put a lot of time in on the mats -- purple belts, black belts even -- I've been tapped literally 5 times in one minute by my first coach. Definitely have a lot of respect for BJJ.

I have been a white belt four years now. Most likely will remain that way.

RockerJesse said:
Helio learned from carlos and made jiujitsu more technical with less strength required..

That's the theory. But performing a perfect judo throw is also a highly technical act and doesn't require much strength either, but chances are that unless you are matched up against a braindead paralytic, your throws will be less than perfect. Same goes for BJJ where, in my experience, quite a bit of physical strength is required.

Papa Lazarou said:
Jujutsu still exists. Judo and BJJ are competition styles developed from Jujutsu.

And it's a bit unfair to say that Judo is just Jujutsu without the "bad" techniques. It's a matter of perspective. Jujutsu isn't ideal for competition, and Judo would've looked like a pretty bad school in the 16th century.
Aye. I'm a brown belt in traditional Japanese Jujitsu, which includes Judo, Tang Soo Do, groundwork, and double-hand (two person) Kata incorporating knife, gun, Naginata, and Katana techniques. Most of which can't be done in sport form, because done correctly they maim or kill.

I'm not sure which of them you would classify as "bad". None of them rely on brute strength, and they are all effective.

I guess he means if you wanted to practise practical combat skills in the 16th century then judo would have been very limited compared to whatever jitsu schools were around. And I'd agree if you're talking about modern competition judo, but I don't see why kano's original judo schools wouldn't have been effective in terms of unarmed combat.

Back
Top Bottom