The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

Users who are viewing this thread

Right now unit collision is to low. When two formations collide they sort of melt together and die really fast. As a result, big 500 v 500 infantry engagements last less than three minutes.
They went from this: https://youtube/pv2qb66PbUg?t=233
To this incomprehensible mess: https://youtube/wcwrKBGFkzY?t=171
Also you can run through your ranks without any hindrance.

This makes the strategy factor lose a lot of potential as the infantry lines die so quickly that you don´t have time to position other units and elaborate more plans around your strategy in battle.

SOURCE: Get into the reddit post to see much more examples and detailed information about this problem.

EDIT:
I reposted this in the suggestion thread guys. Give it some love so Taleworld can see it and work on it as soon or later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I had no idea about the early battle footage, why did they change it into the mess that exists now. I definitely agree with you it needs to be improved. Look at the graphics aswell in the 2016 version, so much better

Yes,If the soldiers are dense,Weapons will get stuck。

Shield wall and square and circle It's useless now, Soldiers can't fight back, They will only be slaughtered!

q6_YKvMU8hPLMawwYz8nbm6tTaUDD36XzID4Wt6ZUW6TpV4l0xClJkMLSZYhYuOc8RmWCcxNq-PE7o0ajqVbH9VdVLDTGjbOVA-qL-6V-b7j2jLcIkVsFpOAvjU9AdJaFunCqaDBWVrQJhMuuA70JPoROdyKj5YXywNtLQSc7RbHb1mjidYA5eqM1tnnCCMT50wqpDpdRz_Zdsc6t63CjR4LAeAE2KJQQJGINvkkCmfyatMdnoyYK7iZzuVoPrHlT_BrS_-FqegIiAxIkZ6faELy22Bddakd8GvW7H5mZfZOlMnjr2Wu-gAkfXR5q7IeCsKYq6mf-lfjzXp_hEjJKAmLDeN-HWsXWim0yLah8bu0oBayNVe4HVXUS_FBd2Jge-mSFEHsOaxBS2HRXuUcqatD0L-hnV4BuqkI5I9vbs5xH5uo9R6562joTJ0uSrR7CxE_8JOEO58RAq8XkxkfpVCNBMQFp2RnPnYM5aQqlKTGl2QVkDpv94aPu9bDmTReBLMiWx2F4_DcB0xOZepwQ5Ybxy-VS3mmhvYXoXcaKe6jRDBuG-PKxWaWBOuiPdPIcImQyH2vZYHuzylwwgh0Z3a4CTYy7Cj8bygp2Kb7g9BKnKJHiR_snwTRXKAHQX6MI6aLwP3G2kN5dEqRUEF9q7daGR3T5txwUdzY2wammH7rI6rSpGgnXD8dqt48=w1024-h736-no

Last edited:
I hope they see this, this is a major issue. Seige battles for example become a riduloous mess of men melting together and its such a shame. The same thing happened with Rome 2 Total war. I sincerely hope they put proper unit collision in to this game.

Wow I had no idea about the early battle footage, why did they change it into the mess that exists now. I definitely agree with you it needs to be improved. Look at the graphics aswell in the 2016 version, so much better

If they had better graphics and collision checks before, it could be that they downgraded them to improve performance.

If they had better graphics and collision checks before, it could be that they downgraded them to improve performance.
This is what I was thinking, thing is, unit collision is essential to battles working, so I hope they resolve it.

The collision could use some work but being able to move between ranks of your own troops easily IS important. Remember in warband when your own troops would push you off the ladders and block you from getting into combat ? Never again.

I agree, no formation ever feels like a solid formation. Inf. vs Inf. but also Inf. vs Cav. just walk through each other without any impact. For me especially defense against Cav. but also attacking as Cav. feels pointless with so without proper unit collision.

Totally agree with this. Was wondering why charge in WB was effective and in Bannerlord it feels like just a small wind came trough the soldiers. And also I have found out that Cav cant hit properly with those lances/spears. In WB when I charged Archers from behind/flank it was very destructive. Now when I charge with cav, only kills I see are mine. Many tactics are ineffective now. Was wondering why I am losing such easy battles and why are kills not popping up.

Large scale melee look really bad because of this and the main infantry battle is over in seconds. That old footage looks so much better I wonder why they changed it so radically.

The collision could use some work but being able to move between ranks of your own troops easily IS important. Remember in warband when your own troops would push you off the ladders and block you from getting into combat ? Never again.

Ot would be really cool if the collision box for allies would be the size they are now, but bigger for enemies, simulating allied soldiers letting each other pass but trying to block enemies!

I have noticed, as a footman focusing on two handeded weapons, melees are nearly impossible as your constantly getting stuck on your own units. Directly before the swing animation is a slight pull back, if there’s anyone behind you you’ll get stuck. Unless you flank around the outside of your formations, landing blows in the mess is difficult- not to mention sieges which are nearly impossible with one handed weapons let alone a two handed.

I was wondering what the difference was... You might be right OP. They were probably scared of the player getting stuck behind troops and whatnot so they went overboard.

Also idk how they went from these lag free 600 man battles in 2016 to what mess we have now. Even their own computers at 2019 gamescom lagged a ton.

Back
Top Bottom