The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

Users who are viewing this thread

I suspect they had to scrap some of this from 2016 due to performance issues. I can't see why else they would mess with the collision so much. As I said, blob battles are back in style.

As a player who who love to play DeI (Divide et Impera) mod in R2TW, I agree with the OP's reddit quote especially in the last paragraph, as Bannerlord in it's current form, takes a lot of immersion and enjoyment out of tactical gameplay.

Cant really compare a Total War game to a Warband one as Total War doesnt really use the same level of physics (pikes no collision friendly soldiers) and doesnt have swords and shields playing out in real time combat but rather dice rolls with animations.

Cant really compare a Total War game to a Warband one as Total War doesnt really use the same level of physics (pikes no collision friendly soldiers) and doesnt have swords and shields playing out in real time combat but rather dice rolls with animations.

Mount and Blade had better collision than this.

This is I think the biggest problem with the game right now. It's ridiculous how they all stack on top of each other, but I don't think collision is the only problem. The way everyone slides around like they are floating, and start vibrating as they all try to push each other out of the way. It doesn't just look broken visually, it changes the entire feel of combat. That gamescom footage looks basically how warband was, so much better. It's like a completely different game. Actually it looks great I want to play that game.

Same thing happened to starcraft 2 compared to the original, they "improved" the pathing/collision so everything flows like water, but it completely changed the gameplay for the worse. The result was the same too, especially big battles were over really fast and you didn't have much control over them. You just send your blob and hope for the best.

Here we have 250v250 battle, over in seconds. The actual combat only takes about 45 seconds.

This is I think the biggest problem with the game right now. It's ridiculous how they all stack on top of each other, but I don't think collision is the only problem. The way everyone slides around like they are floating, and start vibrating as they all try to push each other out of the way. It doesn't just look broken visually, it changes the entire feel of combat. That gamescom footage looks basically how warband was, so much better. It's like a completely different game. Actually it looks great I want to play that game.

Same thing happened to starcraft 2 compared to the original, they "improved" the pathing/collision so everything flows like water, but it completely changed the gameplay for the worse. The result was the same too, especially big battles were over really fast and you didn't have much control over them. You just send your blob and hope for the best.

Here we have 250v250 battle, over in seconds. The actual combat only takes about 45 seconds.

Yep these battles are over in a matter of a few minutes. That's the first thing I noticed about sieges, everyone floating flying around like on magic rugs. It's too fast for starters, sieges should never be over in less than 10 minutes.

Yes,If the soldiers are dense,Weapons will get stuck。

Shield wall and square and circle It's useless now, Soldiers can't fight back, They will only be slaughtered!

q6_YKvMU8hPLMawwYz8nbm6tTaUDD36XzID4Wt6ZUW6TpV4l0xClJkMLSZYhYuOc8RmWCcxNq-PE7o0ajqVbH9VdVLDTGjbOVA-qL-6V-b7j2jLcIkVsFpOAvjU9AdJaFunCqaDBWVrQJhMuuA70JPoROdyKj5YXywNtLQSc7RbHb1mjidYA5eqM1tnnCCMT50wqpDpdRz_Zdsc6t63CjR4LAeAE2KJQQJGINvkkCmfyatMdnoyYK7iZzuVoPrHlT_BrS_-FqegIiAxIkZ6faELy22Bddakd8GvW7H5mZfZOlMnjr2Wu-gAkfXR5q7IeCsKYq6mf-lfjzXp_hEjJKAmLDeN-HWsXWim0yLah8bu0oBayNVe4HVXUS_FBd2Jge-mSFEHsOaxBS2HRXuUcqatD0L-hnV4BuqkI5I9vbs5xH5uo9R6562joTJ0uSrR7CxE_8JOEO58RAq8XkxkfpVCNBMQFp2RnPnYM5aQqlKTGl2QVkDpv94aPu9bDmTReBLMiWx2F4_DcB0xOZepwQ5Ybxy-VS3mmhvYXoXcaKe6jRDBuG-PKxWaWBOuiPdPIcImQyH2vZYHuzylwwgh0Z3a4CTYy7Cj8bygp2Kb7g9BKnKJHiR_snwTRXKAHQX6MI6aLwP3G2kN5dEqRUEF9q7daGR3T5txwUdzY2wammH7rI6rSpGgnXD8dqt48=w1024-h736-no
I have noticed, as a footman focusing on two handeded weapons, melees are nearly impossible as your constantly getting stuck on your own units. Directly before the swing animation is a slight pull back, if there’s anyone behind you you’ll get stuck. Unless you flank around the outside of your formations, landing blows in the mess is difficult- not to mention sieges which are nearly impossible with one handed weapons let alone a two handed.

I would also note that in siege towers and gates unless you are leading your troops in front you can only attack up or down since side attacks are eitheir blocked by allies or by the walls of the gate or siege tower

Totally agree. Battles feel like blobs clashing mindlessly, nobody can take even half a swing, and its somehow all over in seconds. I fought a mega-battle between Vlandia and Khuzaits in late campaign, 1500vs1200.....the battle didnt last more than a few minutes (and thats only because of reinforcements).

I agree on the spacing, but I do find troops making way for you(their lord) aka pushing past them to be a change for the better as far as quality of life goes.

The regular spacing is wack and a slight increase to collision would likely make formations like square less useless as 3 guys aren't clipping into a single persons worth of attacks.

Back
Top Bottom