SP - General The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass [FIX / SUGGESTION]

Users who are viewing this thread

I've already lowered the bar on hope so much that I'm only hoping for this and the reformulation of the damage-armour values... and yet I may be hoping for too much.

Hopefully the devs don't suffer from post-holiday syndrome... Reddit is starting to take off the blindfold... I long ago wore the rain jacket.... :iamamoron: ?⛈️

So is there any information regarding this issue that you can share with us now? Has there been any discussion about this or maybe you have something planned? @Dejan

So is there any information regarding this issue that you can share with us now? Has there been any discussion about this or maybe you have something planned? @Dejan
Under "combat & combat ai"
Jittering/Stuttering of units. Being investigated.
I think they are referring to the issue presented on this thread. My guess is that it's low priority so we shouldn't see any type of temporary workaround or fix any time soon. Maybe next year, unironically and no criticizing intended, it is what it is.

Yeah, I was just wondering if there is any progress/plans to resolve this issue, since the last time a cm interacted with this thread was 2 months ago.

Huh interesting to have seen this issue having been pointed out for so long. It really does wreck the point of the game, having good medieval battles. I have an unfortunate feeling this issues must reach deep into several places that they don't want to touch at all.

Looking close at the first video it's the sliding around that is visually disconcerting, after a few moments a soldier can go from on the front line to the back then about 6 people over on the side of where they originally were, all without animating their feet/legs much at all.

This feeling of being on ice seems to be a common thread now that I'm thinking about a bunch of movement issues from way back. I think getting displaced is fine, however the way they do it by sliding around gradually really is just odd feeling and looking physics. They push in then are repulsed like someone shoved them on an ice lake. I wonder if they could temporarily fix this by animating the back movement and have them plant a leg against the direction of the force pushing them as they slide.

It's funny but this is so indicative of my issues with bannerlord. Systems and content will gradually come to the game as they build them, but the fundamentals of troops fighting and combat being off just make every other feature feel pointless to participate in, so not seeing them violently hunt down and squash these issues makes me feel like they have too much magic code and not enough expertise that is confident enough to touch it.

I have an unfortunate feeling this issues must reach deep into several places that they don't want to touch at all.
Systems and content will gradually come to the game as they build them, but the fundamentals of troops fighting and combat being off just make every other feature feel pointless to participate in, so not seeing them violently hunt down and squash these issues makes me feel like they have too much magic code and not enough expertise that is confident enough to touch it.
Call me an optimist, but I hope they just want to implement everything they planned, and then start balancing every system. It's a wise long term decision, but we are left with a broken game while it isn't finished.

Have they done something to the collision? i haven't touched the game in a while but i couldn't force myself into a group as before i felt like. However unit jittering is crazy, they're spazing all over the place, especially in siges

Have they done something to the collision? i haven't touched the game in a while but i couldn't force myself into a group as before i felt like. However unit jittering is crazy, they're spazing all over the place, especially in siges
giphy.gif

"Technically" they are currently aware of the situation and have a nice "in progress" sticker on it. Source.

Nothing mentioned in patch notes and infantry engagements are still a mosh pit so, no. Realistic Battle Mod has a reasonable fix for this and is updated for 1.7.1 beta...
Of course, Taleworlds haven't fixed it yet and RBM amends something. In my previous comment I only underlined the "in progress" status, I mean that supposedly they will fix it when they find what is the causing problem.

giphy.gif

"Technically" they are currently aware of the situation and have a nice "in progress" sticker on it. Source.
They're probably trying to find middle ground between not getting the player stuck inside their own troops (the #1 reason not to fight inside a formation in Warband SP) and also have collisions with actual mass. You said RBM amends it, how? Still haven't tried out any mods yet.

Under "combat & combat ai"

I think they are referring to the issue presented on this thread. My guess is that it's low priority so we shouldn't see any type of temporary workaround or fix any time soon. Maybe next year, unironically and no criticizing intended, it is what it is.
It isn't on that list anymore...

Any news on this problem? It is the main gamebreaking experience by far...

Now, what can we do about that? Is it any way to mod this?

Now, what can we do about that? Is it any way to mod this?
Just like the siege towers and ladders, it shouldn't be fixed with a mod.
Took TW one year+ to solve the siege towers and ladders issue but they did it, so there is still hope ?

They're probably trying to find middle ground between not getting the player stuck inside their own troops (the #1 reason not to fight inside a formation in Warband SP) and also have collisions with actual mass. You said RBM amends it, how? Still haven't tried out any mods yet.
I would 100% prefer getting "stuck" over how it is now. A part of being a foot soldier is not having full control. It is 100% not fair, just like war.

20160602_ep609_Publicity_still_051.001540061.jpg

I would 100% prefer getting "stuck" over how it is now. A part of being a foot soldier is not having full control. It is 100% not fair, just like war.

20160602_ep609_Publicity_still_051.001540061.jpg
Agreed, there were usually ways out of the pack in Warband, plus if you were really desperate you could always order your troops out of the way.

Getting stuck once in a while is far preferable to the massive immersion hit the game takes when every single mass melee combat involves high speed jigglin'.

Agreed, there were usually ways out of the pack in Warband, plus if you were really desperate you could always order your troops out of the way.

Getting stuck once in a while is far preferable to the massive immersion hit the game takes when every single mass melee combat involves high speed jigglin'.
Can't agree more.

Now, what can we do about that?
The issue is reported and supposedly "in progress" of resolving.
Fairly since the game was released, players have been suffering from what I call wild jittering.

We have discussed this problem in the suggestions section (here), however due to the lack of action from Taleworlds I feel the need and obligation (along with a large majority of players) to come to this section and open a thread because this problem has been going on for too long.

The problem is plain and simple that agents being clustered in high density groups both in open combat and in close quarters, shake wildly making the player's gameplay experience very annoying when this happens.

Here are two proofs of the same problem:

In third person it is annoying, however in first person it is definitely unplayable.

To reproduce the problem with your testers. Simply go to Custom Battle, select a scenario of 100 vs 100 (higher numbers more obvious effect) infantry bots and command them to charge. Preferably the tester should be leading the fight on foot, positioning him/herself in the centre of the clash surrounded by both allied and enemy bots.

I don't know why they removed it from the known issues, I hope they still intend to look at this.
@MArdA TaleWorlds what happened? Why isn't it listed anymore...

Back
Top Bottom